Starter issues on '78 J

Sam Judd

Over the last month or so I've had an intermittent problem with my starter. On the first start of the the day, the first time I turn the key and push, I hear a click but no other noise and the prop doesn't move at all. If I release the key and repeat, the starter starts turning the prop right away. Every subsequent in the same day turns the prop over right away. The click on the first start of the day happens about 50% of the days I go flying. 

The starter is a Skytec 149 LS which was installed almost exactly a year ago after similar intermittent issues with the same model progressed to the starter not working at all. My mechanic thinks it's unlikely to be the starter after just over a year. We've replaced the starter relay and cleaned the battery ground with no effect. My mechanic wants to replace the master relay next. The issue is difficult to troubleshoot because it's intermittent and only happens on the first start of the day.

If it's relevant there are also a couple of other electrical issues. The digital tach and fuel totalizer usually restart when the starter actually starts cranking. The ammeter wags in flight despite have replaced the master switch and cleaned the contacts several times. 

If anyone has any suggestions I'd appreciate it. If nothing else comes up, we'll probably end up replacing the master relay and if that doesn't work, I'd imagine we'll send the starter back under warranty.

Congrats on the first post Sam!

How handy/knowledgeable are you with...

• volt meters
  • ignition switches
  • relays
  • batteries
  • Cleaning connections
  • Log reading

A little homework can get you pretty far into this challenge...

There isn’t much technology to get in your way...

The switch delivers electricity to the starter relay... the starter needs to turn when the relay does the delivery...

Find the age/hours of each of the items on the list...

Got a mechanic to work with on this project?  It isn’t a Mooney specific kind of challenge...

Essentially you are describing, not enough electricity available when the starter uses all it can get... normally, this doesn’t happen... the battery isn’t delivering... or something like a dirty connection is keeping the battery from delivering somewhere along the way...

Got all that?

It might be easier to just call Bob ^^^^

or borrow a battery from a friend, how close to Detroit are you... It was Andy’s idea... :)

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

On 9/11/2019 at 8:40 PM, Sam Judd said:

Over the last month or so I've had an intermittent problem with my starter. On the first start of the the day, the first time I turn the key and push, I hear a click but no other noise and the prop doesn't move at all. If I release the key and repeat, the starter starts turning the prop right away. Every subsequent in the same day turns the prop over right away. The click on the first start of the day happens about 50% of the days I go flying. 

The starter is a Skytec 149 LS which was installed almost exactly a year ago after similar intermittent issues with the same model progressed to the starter not working at all. My mechanic thinks it's unlikely to be the starter after just over a year. We've replaced the starter relay and cleaned the battery ground with no effect. My mechanic wants to replace the master relay next. The issue is difficult to troubleshoot because it's intermittent and only happens on the first start of the day.

If it's relevant there are also a couple of other electrical issues. The digital tach and fuel totalizer usually restart when the starter actually starts cranking. The ammeter wags in flight despite have replaced the master switch and cleaned the contacts several times. 

If anyone has any suggestions I'd appreciate it. If nothing else comes up, we'll probably end up replacing the master relay and if that doesn't work, I'd imagine we'll send the starter back under warranty.

Here is the trouble shooting chart from Sky-Tec.

https://skytec.aero/aircraft-starter-performance-issues/

Clarence