201 yoke ptt switch

I’ve tried looking around a bit but haven’t been able to find it yet. My C model has the upgraded 201 yokes with the built in PTT switch. While flying yesterday I was trying to call approach and was getting no response. I noticed the “tx” wasn’t showing up on the 530 when depressing the ptt switch. I switched my headset wires to the right side and was able to get out using the button on the copilot yoke. I did find that I could tap the switch several times and it would work momentarily but not consistently enough to use. Is there a standard replacement for this switch? Is it as easy and taking it out and soldering in the new one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I recently posted the part number for the switch. It is available from the big electronics distributors. You will have to solder the wires onto the new switch.

before you do that, get some contact cleaner and spray it down the shaft into the switch using the red straw. Then activate the switch a bunch of times, it will probably come back to life. Also remove the cover plate and inspect the wiring, it could be a broken wire and not the switch. Also inspect the wiring at the back of the yoke shaft. The wires flex there and could be broken. 

• Like 1

Awesome, I’ll pick up a can of contact cleaner and try that out while also looking at the previously mentioned points of failure.

Is there a better button available? The button on the copilot side has a nice feeling click when I depress it while this one just bottoms out with any indication of closing/ opening the circuit.

Thanks!

Hard to say what button you have...
Many PTT switches are not Mooney supplied... they often come with APs and radios or get added by your friendly neighborhood A&P...
Got a pic?
Best regards,
-a-

That’s fair and unfortunately I do not have a picture. I preemptively ordered a replacement prior to going back to the hangar to try and trace the problem. It’s an hour drive to where I keep the airplane so I wanted to have something on hand before I go back. I’ll take one when I go back if I can’t figure it out.

• Like 1

I replaced mine less than a year ago.  One problem is that the thread length is not long enough in many of the switches.  Also, if you have other stuff, such as an auto-pilot disconnect switch and an electric trim control switch on the same side of the yoke you will need a sub-miniature switch (very small).  

The part number is:  ALCO TPC13CO SPST-N/O Momentary Mini Push Switch

Aircraftspruce used to sell them for a little over $20.00.   I bought a couple extra and may be willing to sell one for $15.00. 

My mechanic (very Mooney experienced) correctly stated that you do not want a PPT switch to have a click.  Too much throw and work to repeatedly activate.   He also told me that he has used these Alco switches for may years without problems.

This switch feels great in action.  

John Breda

Well, just got to the airport and sprayed a bit of contact cleaner down the switch and pushed it about 200 times and it’s working every time now. Looks like this time it was the simplest solution. Mine does have the micro switch as mentioned in the previous post. Looks like I now have an extra switch (similar to the a/p cut off) on hand if anybody needs one.

• Like 2