Lord Mounts

slowflyin

Just now, StevenL757 said:

I got my new ones at Aviall when the new engine went in back in 2014.  If you have an account there, you can order direct, else, an MSC will need to get them for you.  Failing that, try LASAR.

Steve

Thanks, I'll give them a try.   LASAR shows out of stock. 

34 minutes ago, StevenL757 said:

I should have been more specific...you'll need part# J23508-1.  This is the kit that includes all four mounts.  Change all four...don't piecemeal it.  You can find them here...

http://cessnadirect.com/j-23508-1

Steve

Thanks Steve!   I pulled the part number from the Mooney publication.   Glad to hear there is a kit!  Ordered!

Mooneyspace once again making life easier.   I googled, binged, called parts houses, checked LASAR, even called Lord and the part number you provided never showed up as a kit.  Thanks again.

There is a premium for buying the kit, at $1100 for four.

The individual mounts vary between $180 to $210. Spruce has them in stock for $209 each. I buy them for $180 each, but my supplier is out of stock, with an expected due date of November 15th.

They are the same mounts as the 182T Cessna.  #J9613-82HA

Edited by philiplane

Try a bit harder for the consensus... :)

A while back there was a 10:1 preference for the Lord brand...

The Barry brand seemed to be lower cost, but didn’t last as long...

It would be near impossible to tell the first days... or years...

Engine mounts and LG donuts are also provided by the two suppliers...

My research is about eight years old already... things could have changed over time...

I went with the Lords in both the gear and the engine mounts...

Best regards,

-a-

The isolators should be replaced every 5 to 7 years on turbocharged planes for maximum effectiveness. Heat kills the rubber.

After 7 years they are too stiff to limit the vibration transmitted to the airframe. Unfortunately, many people leave the isolators in place until they are sagged and dry rotted.

1 hour ago, philiplane said:

The isolators should be replaced every 5 to 7 years on turbocharged planes for maximum effectiveness. Heat kills the rubber.

After 7 years they are too stiff to limit the vibration transmitted to the airframe. Unfortunately, many people leave the isolators in place until they are sagged and dry rotted.

About how many man hours to replace those mounts?  I have an engine at TBO but running great and oil analysis is great.  I'm not sure mine have ever been changed as I don't find a log book entry since bravo conversion in 1995.

Nfon,

If it isn’t mentioned in the logs...

Often people will see the engine drooping in the cowling when the rubber donuts have been squashed enough...

Some times spacers can be added to realign the engine... but that would get a log entry as well...

Mooney engines are typically evenly spaced in the cowl opening matching the spinner with the cowl...

If it looks like the spinner is close to making contact... that would be sag. Or a broken engine mount...

As far as swapping them out... Great project for annual time... when the cowl is open already... typically the engine needs to be lifted and separated from the mount just enough to get the donuts out and in...

See if Phillip can add some real details.  The Bravo May have some limitations regarding the exhaust system requirements just to lift the engine a few inches...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

12 hours ago, nfonville said:

About how many man hours to replace those mounts?  I have an engine at TBO but running great and oil analysis is great.  I'm not sure mine have ever been changed as I don't find a log book entry since bravo conversion in 1995.

There are date codes on the rubber portion of the isolators. 7-95 means it was produced in July 1995 for example.

Three of the four isolators are readily accessible. The fourth one is a nightmare. It takes the better part of a day to change them out, and you need an engine hoist with a tilt adapter so the engine can be tilted as needed in addition to being lifted. 

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

I am trying to find the Lord Mounts for my bravo, new engine coming, and it appears the part numbers are J9612-46 and J7763-53.  There is a kit 590020-503 which appears to contain all four mounts.  This is per the parts manual and I am trying to confirm with Lords and Mooney.  I have been trying to locate these parts with no success.  Any suggestions on where they might be purchased.  Thank you

Just for fun, I've put Lord isolators on one engine of a twin, and Barry isolators on the other. After five years, the only difference is the price. And the availability. That was the actual reason, we couldn't get eight of the same brand at the same time.

They're made from the same materials. Neither Lord nor Barry makes their own rubber compounds. The raw materials come from the same supplier. The raw materials are compounded to the same specs, because they have to produce the same durometer rubber. With the same load bearing capacity.

I guess if Barry cost more than Lord, people would think they were the better isolators? 

Both companies make isolators that we use in industrial & heavy equipment applications. I've used both interchangeably on 2700 HP V16 diesel engines weighing in excess of 21,000 pounds. I use similar isolators on LNG fuel tank structures I've designed to mount on these large mine haul trucks. Barry is actually easier to work with since they will make custom isolators tuned to your application. 

Edited by philiplane