I'm looking at a 1998 M20R vs M20R OVATION3

CoinDealer

I know this is a serious thread drift, but since it was asked, hearing aids technology is constantly changing.  I had the best made hearing aids that I wore for 8 years.  One finally died and the audiologist gave me a set to try out.  I couldn't believe the difference!  The new technologies include blue tooth connectivity through (mostly) iphone, auto noise reduction and other things.  I love to stream music through my phone.  My wife, on the other hand, who loves me wearing my hearing aids, now seems a bit annoyed that I can't hear her quite so well when I am listening to music or watching/hearing a show.  My new aids are made by Starkey and are made in the USA.  The old pair I had that were the best ever 8 years ago is the technology in the Costco brand hearing aids uses now.

40 minutes ago, Mufflerbearing said:

I know this is a serious thread drift, but since it was asked, hearing aids technology is constantly changing.  I had the best made hearing aids that I wore for 8 years.  One finally died and the audiologist gave me a set to try out.  I couldn't believe the difference!  The new technologies include blue tooth connectivity through (mostly) iphone, auto noise reduction and other things.  I love to stream music through my phone.  My wife, on the other hand, who loves me wearing my hearing aids, now seems a bit annoyed that I can't hear her quite so well when I am listening to music or watching/hearing a show.  My new aids are made by Starkey and are made in the USA.  The old pair I had that were the best ever 8 years ago is the technology in the Costco brand hearing aids uses now.

The blue tooth will work in some, they won't in mine. Mine are CIC (Completely in Canal). Mine are much smaller and can not be seen. Before the ones i had in Costco I had Starkey CIC. They worked great but like you said the technology is constantly changing but price still is a major factor in what you get.

D

12 hours ago, Mufflerbearing said:

As for the drift. Don't concern yourself with what you wrote. What you need to take into account is that there are many types of hearing aids and depending upon your life style and what you want out of it also makes a difference with the unit you get. I can not wear the ones that sit on top of my ear. They are just very uncomfortable plus when I fly I must have glasses on. Secondly for the person that first wrote it. You can not assume anything that works for you will be perfect for the next person. You wrote about streaming music. I listen to Sirius in my car. That's enough music for me. You are probably half my age. I wouldn't know how to stream music if I wanted to which I do not.  The people that walk around with buds in their ears all over major cities are getting killed walking in the streets because they are so tuned into their music that they are incapable of hearing the sounds around them and when walking in the streets you really need to hear it. You live in Idaho. Boise has a total population of 226,570 and that's your states largest city? I grew up in a tiny town called Flushing which is where the 1939 & 1964-65 World's fairs were. Total pop there is 176,257. NYC consists of 24 towns. In NYC alone we have a population as of 2018 not including the millions of undocumented people thanks to our inept stupid mayor  is 8,398,748. All told we have close to 12 million. In a city like this I'm going to wear the best that money can buy me and be safe from the sounds around me. 

I live in NYC. So far there have been 21 people killed riding bikes in the street. They show you people that disregard lights and other things and around them. I'm sure many of the dead were wearing buds in their ears. For the person who wrote about their wife being annoyed at them, you have a major problem that you are too dam blind to see. I wonder how loud you make the music when you are driving in your car. I'll bet you oblivious to people honking at you. At this rate you'll get into an accident doing that. Your wife can not stand that she can not talk to you. I can go on and on and on but.

Secondly you use an I Phone and I hate Apple products. My phone is Android and does not work like yours. Yes my friend I don't have an I Pad for the Garmin ap for flying Forflight. 

If you believe the garbage in ads on TV or in the papers about product like Miracle Ear, then the next time you want to leave potato land and come to a real city with like NYC, we have 21 bridges going in and out of the city. I'll sell you anyone of them at a really cheap price. :)

I do hope you get the picture for the next time you want to chime in on a post to someone else that had nothing to do with the price of rice in China.

D

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

19 hours ago, carusoam said:

Every now and then there is the opportunity to take a training class using a device called a Prote ‘altitude chamber’...

And the Mooney Summit is having this delivered to KECP as I type. If you think you can deal with hypoxia, here is how you can KNOW vs guess. I highly recommend this training for anyone who flys above 6000'. It has taken me 5 years to get CAMI to provide this training for us.

Did I mention "Free"?

https://www.signupgenius.com/go/805084aa9af2da7f94-faaportable

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Mufflerbearing said:

Did i mention? As a renter I like to stay below Bravo when possible. Flying with Steven Leary last week was first time above 6000' in 2 years. Meaningless at this point for me

On 9/22/2019 at 2:04 PM, Bob_Belville said:

@CoinDealer... That's strikes me as amusing.

I'm 76, based an NC with a '66 E model - 200 hp short body. (Way too old a plane for your tastes.) 

I use O2 fairly often and I learned (a little about) mountain flying this summer.

I left KOSH with a grandson and visited a great deal of the Western US in a semicircle from the Dakotas over the Rockies to WA and down to the Grand Canyon.

Everything west of the Mississippi was done VFR but we were often above 10k'.

When you get to be my age I suppose you too will want to use O2 if you're going to be at 7-8000' for several hours.   

IMG_20190324_104603672.jpg

Bob, I was just rereading your remark about old planes. I've been flying old planes my entire life. Yes the newer planes have modern technology in them but in either case they do the same thing as the old ones do. They fly us from point a to point b. I will never knock an old plane. My most favorite old plane I've ever been up in was a P51D and I flew with Bill Lear in 1969 in his own Lear 23B with CJ610 Turbo jets :)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CoinDealer said:

As for the drift. Don't concern yourself with what you wrote. What you need to take into account is that there are many types of hearing aids and depending upon your life style and what you want out of it also makes a difference with the unit you get. I can not wear the ones that sit on top of my ear. They are just very uncomfortable plus when I fly I must have glasses on. Secondly for the person that first wrote it. You can not assume anything that works for you will be perfect for the next person. You wrote about streaming music. I listen to Sirius in my car. That's enough music for me. You are probably half my age. I wouldn't know how to stream music if I wanted to which I do not.  The people that walk around with buds in their ears all over major cities are getting killed walking in the streets because they are so tuned into their music that they are incapable of hearing the sounds around them and when walking in the streets you really need to hear it. You live in Idaho. Boise has a total population of 226,570 and that's your states largest city? I grew up in a tiny town called Flushing which is where the 1939 & 1964-65 World's fairs were. Total pop there is 176,257. NYC consists of 24 towns. In NYC alone we have a population as of 2018 not including the millions of undocumented people thanks to our inept stupid mayor  is 8,398,748. All told we have close to 12 million. In a city like this I'm going to wear the best that money can buy me and be safe from the sounds around me. 

I live in NYC. So far there have been 21 people killed riding bikes in the street. They show you people that disregard lights and other things and around them. I'm sure many of the dead were wearing buds in their ears. For the person who wrote about their wife being annoyed at them, you have a major problem that you are too dam blind to see. I wonder how loud you make the music when you are driving in your car. I'll bet you oblivious to people honking at you. At this rate you'll get into an accident doing that. Your wife can not stand that she can not talk to you. I can go on and on and on but.

Secondly you use an I Phone and I hate Apple products. My phone is Android and does not work like yours. Yes my friend I don't have an I Pad for the Garmin ap for flying Forflight. 

If you believe the garbage in ads on TV or in the papers about product like Miracle Ear, then the next time you want to leave potato land and come to a real city with like NYC, we have 21 bridges going in and out of the city. I'll sell you anyone of them at a really cheap price. :)

I do hope you get the picture for the next time you want to chime in on a post to someone else that had nothing to do with the price of rice in China.

D

Why so angry or is that just a NYC real city thing. As for honking horns not much of that out west possible because in many cities the response may be in the form of a 9mm

Just now, bonal said:

Why so angry or is that just a NYC real city thing. As for honking horns not much of that out west possible because in many cities the response may be in the form of a 9mm

You can use your 9mm all you want. I'll stick to my Light weight officer's model Colt 45ACP I've carried full time in NYC since 1983. Thank god I only had to use it in one shoot out in 1988 because the rounds really make a mess on the side walks . Touche

42 minutes ago, CoinDealer said:

Bob, I was just rereading your remark about old planes. I've been flying old planes my entire life. Yes the newer planes have modern technology in them but in either case they do the same thing as the old ones do. They fly us from point a to point b. I will never knock an old plane. My most favorite old plane I've ever been up in was a P51D and I flew with Bill Lear in 1969 in his own Lear 23B with CJ610 Turbo jets :)

Dan, sorry, I was going on your post of 9/15:

"Since I basically know diddly squat about Mooney's, I'm still quite a ways away from really plane hunting but I won't buy a plane more than 16 yrs old. I don't want a plane with any steam gauges when I make my decision." 

FWIW, the panel in my '66E, and the panels of many other vintage planes, is more modern than any 10-15 year old plane that still sports its original panel.

IMG_20190129_142744166.jpg

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, CoinDealer said:

You can use your 9mm all you want. I'll stick to my Light weight officer's model Colt 45ACP I've carried full time in NYC since 1983. Thank god I only had to use it in one shoot out in 1988 because the rounds really make a mess on the side walks . Touche

Definitely don't want to start a my caliber is better than yours only that 9mm is the most common choice of your typical gang banger in the Cali cities where it's not uncommon to get that kind of response when it comes to road rage. It just seems like folks here are just trying to be helpful. Hope you find the plane of your dreams.

1 minute ago, Bob_Belville said:

Dan, sorry, I was going on your post of 9/15:

"Since I basically know diddly squat about Mooney's, I'm still quite a ways away from really plane hunting but I won't buy a plane more than 16 yrs old. I don't want a plane with any steam gauges when I make my decision." 

FWIW, the panel in my '66E, and the panels of many other vintage planes, is more modern than any 10-15 year old plane that still sports its original panel.

IMG_20190129_142744166.jpg

Beautiful panel Bob. But it's not the panel that would stop me from purchasing an older plane but the plane itself. My early schooling was at the Academy of Aeronautics. It is now called Vaughn College at LGA. I got my A&P there but after staying in the school basically to stay out of Viet Nam, my dad offered me a job in his Coin store and I've only looked back to smile and say I'm happy I made the change. Really old planes have inherent things that fail over time if not addressed correctly. Zinc chromate is only so good for a limited time and then corrosion can set in. When I'm ready to buy, I'm going to get something that I don't have to worry about systems failing or breaking at a bad time. This is why I started the hunt and learning curve 9 months before hand. What ever plane I buy will be the one plane for the rest of my life. My dad lived to 96 and my uncle 101. I'm turning 70 and see myself flying maybe 15 more years. 

I flew 3 years with the Aspens in N208GG. The panel shown below. Although it's capable, I was not a fan of it. As for the Garmin 750 which is also a great unit, I don't like touch screens. I've used the Avidyne IFD540 and like it more. Plus if you incorporate the IFD 100 you can do all your planning on your tablet and it transfers easily. You have touch screen but you also have buttons and I find the unit is more user friendly, at least for me with my limited VFR years all 26 of them . 

Again all equipment is up to the individual and no single unit is better than the next. It's all a matter of preferences. Steven Leary showed me in his panel for A-dsb is L3 which is both A-dsb and Tcas. Tcas the airlines use. It's a better operating system. 

I think the absolute best part of your plane though is the landing gear handle. Here you can do your gym work out with out ever leaving the cockpit :)))

Dan

DSC_0317.jpg

7 minutes ago, bonal said:

Definitely don't want to start a my caliber is better than yours only that 9mm is the most common choice of your typical gang banger in the Cali cities where it's not uncommon to get that kind of response when it comes to road rage. It just seems like folks here are just trying to be helpful. Hope you find the plane of your dreams.

I know what you mean. For the record, I drove MB for the last 20 years. Last year I decided to get a Honda Accord Touring with the 1.5 liter engine. Road rage is in every metropolitan. So when I drive I stay with in 5 mph of the speed limit. I'm always on cruise control. I look straight ahead and I let whom ever wants to get in front of me go. I now drive the type of car that blends in well.

When I'm in the mood to let off some steam I have use of my brothers 2006 Z06 Corvette and his 2018 ZR1. Recently I gave up my full carry license in NYC because of several reasons. The paper work with NYC is a pain even though for years I was a peace officer with Suffolk County, L.I. SPCA. I stopped doing it back in the late 90s. If I had continued then after 9/11, I would have been able to keep it for ever. I go through life now staying benign and enjoying to the best I can. I'm non violent but I am 6'2" 240 pounds with a brown belt in Judo. I've not been shot in years and hope never to be again. It wasn't pleasant experience.

D

12 minutes ago, CoinDealer said:

I think the absolute best part of your plane though is the landing gear handle. Here you can do your gym work out with out ever leaving the cockpit :)))

Dan

Dan, you are a piece of work! I know you've done everything there is to do but have you flown with a JBar gear? If it is a "gym workout" the pilot needs to get some maintenance or instruction. 

(Someone here made the observation that the failure of zinc chromate never caused an airplane to crash. Unfortunately brand new more complex airplanes fail too. We've lost at least 2 Acclaims in the last few years.)

13 minutes ago, Bob_Belville said:

Dan, you are a piece of work! I know you've done everything there is to do but have you flown with a JBar gear? If it is a "gym workout" the pilot needs to get some maintenance or instruction. 

(Someone here made the observation that the failure of zinc chromate never caused an airplane to crash. Unfortunately brand new more complex airplanes fail too. We've lost at least 2 Acclaims in the last few years.)

Yes, 1965 in a Statesman. I was all of 15 years old. About 5'4" tall and 120 pounds dripping wet when my sisters boy friend told me to lift the gear up. I thought i weighed a ton. That was the first and last time. I've no clue now, nor frankly am i interested in giving it a tug.

I actually replied to your kind invitation to fly to New York so you could peer at my airplane. , (see far, far above). Didn’t realize it was a summons. Our calendar is fairly booked for a couple of very old people, but I’ll keep it in mind, in case life in our beautiful, peaceful and genteel, but backwards little swamp gets boring. 

Edited by Amelia

1 hour ago, CoinDealer said:

Yes, 1965 in a Statesman. I was all of 15 years old. About 5'4" tall and 120 pounds dripping wet when my sisters boy friend told me to lift the gear up. I thought i weighed a ton. That was the first and last time. I've no clue now, nor frankly am i interested in giving it a tug.

Dan, the Statesman, a mid body with an O360) did not exist in '65. In fact there were no mid bodies until '67.

Little @mooneygirl operated the JBar in my '66E from the right seat. (She has an E herself and flew her father's C before that. Both JBar equipped.) 

I consider myself "often wrong, but never in doubt". If the shoe fits... 

4 minutes ago, Bob_Belville said:

Dan, the Statesman, a mid body with an O360) did not exist in '65. In fact there were no mid bodies until '67.

Little @mooneygirl operated the JBar in my '66E from the right seat. (She has an E herself and flew her father's C before that. Both JBar equipped.) 

I consider myself "often wrong, but never in doubt". If the shoe fits... 

I was young and don't remember the exact year. Thanks for telling me. It goes to show you how little I know about Mooney's. I'm only beginning to learn. Been an Archer pilot since 1994 mostly. Your panel really looks great. It's easy to take in information from those who know. Thank you.

Gents and Lady,

You have encountered NYC...

The responses aren’t meant as confrontational, as much as they appear to be...

When you come from NYC, and join a world wide group... it takes effort to tone things down appropriately.  Essentially, like Change who you are, so people will understand you better...

Next you will see our new friend send me some outrageous response as if I have insulted his family....

Two things can follow...

1) Things get calmer...

2) The slinger of ire just fades away...

Keeping in mind the purpose of MS... exchanging ideas to improve speed, efficiency, and safety... for all of us... including our new friend Dan... unless he shows another Piper pic....  :)

It has never been, my Mooney is faster than yours... or better, or bigger, or even more expensive...

Stay true to yourselves, try to help the NYCer get to his next level... :)

Keep in mind there are Many NYCers on MS...  many of them have moved pretty far from NYC over time... some are still there... but their Mooney takes them out of there often...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 3