I'm looking at a 1998 M20R vs M20R OVATION3

CoinDealer

10 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Dan,

StevenL’s plane is top shelf Mooney...

There is nothing wrong with limiting your search to newer planes... go with it! :)

Just keep in mind... you can refresh the panel of an O1 to look like the work Steven has done...  in the event you can’t find one that meets your expectations...

So few Ovations come up for sale some times...

+1 on finding a Screamin’ Eagle like Amelia did... M20R and M20S can be mostly interchangeable with enough funds...

And if you really want... I know some guys in TX that are building some really nice Ovations... but they are listed at near full price...

So... did Steven’s O meet your expectations? Exceed your expectations? Or wasn’t what you were looking for?

Best regards,

-a-

Loved it except the first time i tried to get into it or climb out of it. Was not the easiest plane I've ever tried to but very nice plane I look forward to getting more time in it. When one has been flying these panels mostly for the last 25 years, with a fixed gear and 180 horses out front, it's quite a step up. Watching him constantly working the mp, prop and fuel takes some getting used to. None of the planes I've flown had engine analyzers. 

D

IMG_20161007_194758047.jpg

21 minutes ago, StevenL757 said:

@CoinDealer, Amelia has a good point.  There are a few S models out there that are good candidates for upgrade.  They are identical in every way to the Ovation, except the native S models have their engines derated.  They can be upgraded just like an Ovation to the 310 STC, and broadly, have gross weights and capabilities nearly identical to the Ovation.  Definitely worth adding to the search list.

But I've said many times when I'm ready, it's not going to be to buy a plane needing a lot of work. At 70 Y.Old, I want the work already done. 

21 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Dan,

StevenL’s plane is top shelf Mooney...

There is nothing wrong with limiting your search to newer planes... go with it! :)

Just keep in mind... you can refresh the panel of an O1 to look like the work Steven has done...  in the event you can’t find one that meets your expectations...

So few Ovations come up for sale some times...

+1 on finding a Screamin’ Eagle like Amelia did... M20R and M20S can be mostly interchangeable with enough funds...

And if you really want... I know some guys in TX that are building some really nice Ovations... but they are listed at near full price...

So... did Steven’s O meet your expectations? Exceed your expectations? Or wasn’t what you were looking for?

Best regards,

-a-

In Austin I know of https://www.lycomingoverhaul.com/ who does excellent work on engines. But when I'm ready I'l reach out to many I know for their inputs.

In that case...

Its all good news...

The coordinated ballet to get in and out of the plane takes about a week to get used too...

It actually becomes so natural... it may be hard to explain to the next person to get in... :)

I had taken some time off from flying, I needed some help getting in an MSer’s 201...  it was as if I had forgotten the ballet...

Same thing with closing the door...

Engine monitors are a great way to share a question about your engine ops... you can see people doing this a couple of times each week...

The engine will operate fine without one... but the data they supply makes them indispensable...

What you may have witnessed... a typical flight may have a series of about 10-15 power and mixture adjustments from start-up to shutdown... in all GA planes...

In Steven’s plane... the steps probably appear crammed together... because the acceleration, climb, and cruise happens so quickly...

In a Cherokee, it would have been so more sane with time off for relaxing....

Look forward to what they call transition Training.... a few days of repetition... with a good nights rest in between... is all it takes...

The first day of TT can be a touch spooky... getting all the details right may take a few tries... by then, the cognitive tiredness sets in...

A good rest, a fresh start, the spookiness is gone... The Cog rest is obvious... and all the steps fall into place as expected...

Have no fear... our oldest MSer went easily into his 80s flying an M20J... he retired from flying because he set a plan to do so... then executed his plan...  you can find his writing by looking up Bennet...

Also look up what a forever plane is... many guys reach a comfortable time when they acquire a plane to keep forever... every year it gets one step nicer... one box at a time following an upgrade plan that gets updated probably weekly?

You might find that the electrical engineers are really prone to these types of projects... my plan is to copy one of them... :)

Best regards,

-a-

19 minutes ago, carusoam said:

In that case...

Its all good news...

The coordinated ballet to get in and out of the plane takes about a week to get used too...

It actually becomes so natural... it may be hard to explain to the next person to get in... :)

I had taken some time off from flying, I needed some help getting in an MSer’s 201...  it was as if I had forgotten the ballet...

Same thing with closing the door...

Engine monitors are a great way to share a question about your engine ops... you can see people doing this a couple of times each week...

The engine will operate fine without one... but the data they supply makes them indispensable...

What you may have witnessed... a typical flight may have a series of about 10-15 power and mixture adjustments from start-up to shutdown... in all GA planes...

In Steven’s plane... the steps probably appear crammed together... because the acceleration, climb, and cruise happens so quickly...

In a Cherokee, it would have been so more sane with time off for relaxing....

Look forward to what they call transition Training.... a few days of repetition... with a good nights rest in between... is all it takes...

The first day of TT can be a touch spooky... getting all the details right may take a few tries... by then, the cognitive tiredness sets in...

A good rest, a fresh start, the spookiness is gone... The Cog rest is obvious... and all the steps fall into place as expected...

Have no fear... our oldest MSer went easily into his 80s flying an M20J... he retired from flying because he set a plan to do so... then executed his plan...  you can find his writing by looking up Bennet...

Also look up what a forever plane is... many guys reach a comfortable time when they acquire a plane to keep forever... every year it gets one step nicer... one box at a time following an upgrade plan that gets updated probably weekly?

You might find that the electrical engineers are really prone to these types of projects... my plan is to copy one of them... :)

Best regards,

-a-

All good interesting facts. Flying Archers with a yoke and a fuel bar vs spinning dials will take time to get used to. I vote they make all engines and planes FADEC immediately. Would end all this and make engine management easier. :) The man that signed my ticket in 1995 was Clifford Robbins. In 1995 he sold his Mooney. He was 91 at the time. Cliff had when he stopped logging his hours 5 years earlier, over 58,000 hours. He flew before WW@. The 2 tours in Africa and then delivered every type of plane the US made from P51s up to B29s and everything in between . After the war he flew for United airlines till 1961. Wonderful man. 

D

• Like 1

You’re right, Dan. Finding one already equipped the way you want it is a huge time and money saver. Just don’t waste too much of the flying time you have left waiting until the time, the money, and every aspect of  the ideal airplane to line up exactly right! Also, you might consider beginning the bookwork now for your instrument rating, so that you can have the test and the rudiments already out of the way when you’re ready to buy that perfect Ovation. An IFR clearance sure does grease the skids flying through big city airspace, even if there’s not a cloud within 500 miles.

• Like 1

You’re right, Dan. Finding one already equipped the way you want it is a huge time and money saver. Just don’t waste too much of the flying time you have left waiting until the time, the money, and every aspect of  the ideal airplane to line up exactly right! Also, you might consider beginning the bookwork now for your instrument rating, so that you can have the test and the rudiments already out of the way when you’re ready to buy that perfect Ovation. An IFR clearance sure does grease the skids flying through big city airspace, even if there’s not a cloud within 500 miles.

7 hours ago, Amelia said:

I've been flying through Bravo and Charlie for 1/4 century. It doesn't matter if it's Dallas, Austin, Orlando, NYC or Los Angeles. I've ben flying those areas with rental planes 25 years with out a single glitch. The IFR will be in the plane I buy and not a moment earlier. No need.

8 hours ago, Amelia said:

Amelia, if you're ever flying up by Long Island and can land at FRG, I'd love to meet you and take a look at your plane. You can contact me any time.

Dan 

Business card.jpg

Amelia, if you're ever flying up by Long Island and can land at FRG, I'd love to meet you and take a look at your plane. You can contact me any time.
Dan 
404016460_Businesscard.thumb.jpg.1335bc193fda9e9fe5951d0501a81b7f.jpg
What a nice offer! I've never been to FRG, and any excuse to turn dinosaurs into noise is tempting. Likewise, lovely little Edenton KEDE is right on your way to south FL. Feel free to stop for fuel, lunch, and a peek inside my hangar if you like. I just mentioned it to perhaps broaden your type search. My Beastie doesnt have near as many bells and whistles as you want, but I've found there are enough to keep this dear ol' bat challenged learning/remembering how to use them all. Every long flight reveals new tricks, it seems. And I'd transitioned from a fairly well equipped Mooney I'd owned for decades.

Years ago, I asked a sharp CEO how long it took her, a very competent instrument pilot, how long it took her to transition from her round-gauge C182RG to her brand new Mooney Ovation, I think it was. She underwent the week-long new-Mooney course, and recalled coming home physically exhausted and mentally shattered the first three days with that snazzy glass panel, stuffed with information, and feared it would never become second nature. Then the fourth intense morning she woke up to realize it all had snapped together overnight like magic. There's a surprising amount to soak up.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 9/15/2019 at 8:14 AM, Amelia said:

Hi, Dan, You might want to add a Mooney20S  to your list. I was in the market to replace the beloved 20K that broke. Kissed a lot of flying frogs, as it were. Then I met this charming  Screaming Eagle, and fell in love at first sight. Oh, that WOT roar of power, that astonishing climb rate! It occurred to me that living at FL0.0, I really didn’t need the turbo very often, anyway. So, long-body story short,, I bought it as grandmama’s 70th birthday present to herself, learned to appreciate its relative simplicity, stability, interior space, useful load,and capability. Speed? Yep, it’ll do that, but I’m usually content at 9 gph and 168 kts LOP.. Some previous owners with exquisite taste had already upgraded the interior, panel, engine rating and prop, so all I had to do was fly! It has whisked us all over the country so far, from coastal Carolina to Oregon and Calif, over Rockies and all. The instrument rating has been a huge blessing, as thick smoke from widespread western wildfires was as much a non-issue as our east coast low thin overcasts and bumpy cu are. It’s so nice, smooth and cool on top. Of course I have a wish list, but FIKI really isn’t on it. I promised my Creator solemnly years ago I’d never ever get myself in ice again... twice. Fortunately, these are extraordinary airplanes. Enjoy your shopping. 

I had not heard about the screaming eagle, but I did the screaming goose as she was getting raped  by my pond a few years back.  Quack, Quack, Quack :)

Sex by the pond.jpg

• Haha 1

On 9/10/2019 at 11:07 AM, Davidv said:

People have different views of owning and maintaining a turbo, but I would go Bravo/acclaim if that’s your mission.  I’ve flown mine non-stop from FXE to NYC (if you can find a solution for the no bathroom break) and it’s nice to have the flexibility to fly much higher when the winds are in your favor.  I would even do FXE to Boston in the flight levels when the winds are right and it will be just shorter door to door than commercial. (Of course coming back to Florida a different story!)

Saturday morning I was reading this in Controller.  https://www.controller.com/listings/aircraft/for-sale/32480817/1998-mooney-m20m-bravo

When I flew with Steven Leary last week in his O, He mentioned about the oil consumption that his plane has with only 650 hrs. I can't imagine flying this plane around the world and During the 2016 around the world trip, owner added 4 total quarts of oil.   He writes.

I'm not even close to buying a plane yet but was curious your thoughts on this plane. If it was bought regardless of the previous owners panel, I would most likely want to totally redo the panel but then again I do not think the planes value would warranted it.

Dan

On 9/10/2019 at 4:34 PM, FlyingScot said:

I have a 2000 O2 with the 310HP STC and TKS - and I would echo these sentiments - I'm also 6' and find the vis just fine. I regularly fly MI -> NC -> FL and find this is a fantastic plane for this mission. We have the Great Lakes Ice machine up here, so the TKS is really nice to have. I have/am gradually upgraded/grading panel. 

Higher altitude would be nice sometimes, but I can get to the low flight levels if I need to (has O2) but east of the Rockies I don't really find much need to - and a NA engine is much less complexity to deal with. As has been said, the Ovation loves 9-15K, so having O2 is really important and at those altitudes a cannula works for most every situation.

Bottom line - the Ovation is simply a fantastic machine. A great, super stable IFR platform.  Fast, efficient, and a true joy to fly.

- Bob

I flew with Steven Leary last Sunday in his O. He see FL100-110 perfect for the plane. I'll never fly over the mountains and I told him after flying his plane that the speed I was seeing at 5500-6500 was plenty fast for long distant travel. We were doing in the 175 range. I've been an Archer pilot for almost 30 yrs so anything is going to be better for me :)

20 minutes ago, CoinDealer said:

Saturday morning I was reading this in Controller.  https://www.controller.com/listings/aircraft/for-sale/32480817/1998-mooney-m20m-bravo

When I flew with Steven Leary last week in his O, He mentioned about the oil consumption that his plane has with only 650 hrs. I can't imagine flying this plane around the world and During the 2016 around the world trip, owner added 4 total quarts of oil.   He writes.

I'm not even close to buying a plane yet but was curious your thoughts on this plane. If it was bought regardless of the previous owners panel, I would most likely want to totally redo the panel but then again I do not think the planes value would warranted it.

Dan

Hi Dan,

While I'm not trying to put down others airplane listings (because a plane is worth exactly the amount that someone ends up paying), this one appears to be priced a little high.  In my very limited experience:

These are a few of the issues I would have with this aircraft just looking at it on face value:

1. High engine time but that oil consumption is incredibly low (maybe too low?) every engine is a little bit different but when I'm running around on short trips with more than average takeoffs I only get 6-7 quarts per hour.  On longer cross countries (where I'm flying 3-4 hr legs), it goes up to around 10.  The Bravos use more oil because of the bravo engine setup.  Having said that, each flight hour could get increasingly expensive considering it has 1500 hrs.  I've seen overhaul quotes in the 65-80K range.

2. Avionics as you've already pointed out.  Nothing wrong with the 530W, but starting to show its age and not worth very much at this point.  Also no ADS-B.  Add at least $6K if you want a solution that gives you in/out.  The KI-256 attitude indicator needs to stay if you want your KFC-150 to work and it's not uncommon for people to get lazy on the overhauls which can cost you $$$ if it needs one.  Ask me how I know.  Speaking of that, have the speedbrakes ever been overhauled?  Add another $2k for that if not. 

3. While I wouldn't run from a plane with new paint, it seems odd that it was painted in 2016.  As you probably know, a well cared for, hangared, and maintained plane should get more than 18 years from the original paint.  Maybe this has something to do with the low prop time...

4. Prop replaced 118 hours ago.  They don't talk about damage history, but I can't see how this isn't from a prop strike.  People who upgrade their propellers to an MT ect... usually aren't shy about stating so in the ad.  The timing is suspiciously close to new paint job if the aircraft wasn't flown very much after around the world.

5. No TKS

6. Out of annual (or maybe it's happened, I think this one has been listed for a little while now).

There are at least 100 people on this forum that know more than me when it comes to Bravo's but those are my quick notes.

David

16 minutes ago, Davidv said:

Hi Dan,

While I'm not trying to put down others airplane listings (because a plane is worth exactly the amount that someone ends up paying), this one appears to be priced a little high.  In my very limited experience:

These are a few of the issues I would have with this aircraft just looking at it on face value:

1. High engine time but that oil consumption is incredibly low (maybe too low?) every engine is a little bit different but when I'm running around on short trips with more than average takeoffs I only get 6-7 quarts per hour.  On longer cross countries (where I'm flying 3-4 hr legs), it goes up to around 10.  The Bravos use more oil because of the bravo engine setup.  Having said that, each flight hour could get increasingly expensive considering it has 1500 hrs.  I've seen overhaul quotes in the 65-80K range.

2. Avionics as you've already pointed out.  Nothing wrong with the 530W, but starting to show its age and not worth very much at this point.  Also no ADS-B.  Add at least $6K if you want a solution that gives you in/out.  The KI-256 attitude indicator needs to stay if you want your KFC-150 to work and it's not uncommon for people to get lazy on the overhauls which can cost you $$$ if it needs one.  Ask me how I know.  Speaking of that, have the speedbrakes ever been overhauled?  Add another $2k for that if not. 

3. While I wouldn't run from a plane with new paint, it seems odd that it was painted in 2016.  As you probably know, a well cared for, hangared, and maintained plane should get more than 18 years from the original paint.  Maybe this has something to do with the low prop time...

4. Prop replaced 118 hours ago.  They don't talk about damage history, but I can't see how this isn't from a prop strike.  People who upgrade their propellers to an MT ect... usually aren't shy about stating so in the ad.  The timing is suspiciously close to new paint job if the aircraft wasn't flown very much after around the world.

5. No TKS

6. Out of annual (or maybe it's happened, I think this one has been listed for a little while now).

There are at least 100 people on this forum that know more than me when it comes to Bravo's but those are my quick notes.

David

It sounds like a real DUD. I'm reading and learning. I met several years ago at a meeting for my club  Steve Broussard . He sells new O and I just got off the phone with him asking him a host of questions. I told him that Steven will not allow me to fly left seat in his plane and until I have a clue with my 30 years of muscle memory how the plane flies from the left seat I'm in a pickle. He said he has one client with a new plane at HWV and one at SMQ. The latter does not have O2. My thinking for years is if I need O2, then I have a problem because I never fly above FL110. When I decide on a planeI may bite the bullet and buy a plane less than 4 years old. I'm an ex A&P from 1971  ( Just a few years ago ) :). The plane I buy will be equipped with the TKS. Do not need the AC or the O2. I'll be in Fl in the winters and NY in the spring and summer months. Take off, get to 3500 and it starts to cool off real quick. I appreciate the quick response on this forum that people give me. If ever flying up in the FRG area, give a call. I'd enjoy meeting other pilots.

Dan  Cell 516 816 1711

37 minutes ago, Davidv said:

Hi Dan,

5. No TKS

David

What did you mean when you wrote I only get 6-7 quarts per hour

1 hour ago, CoinDealer said:

I flew with Steven Leary last Sunday in his O. He see FL100-110 perfect for the plane. I'll never fly over the mountains and I told him after flying his plane that the speed I was seeing at 5500-6500 was plenty fast for long distant travel. We were doing in the 175 range. I've been an Archer pilot for almost 30 yrs so anything is going to be better for me :)

Consistent with my experience - e.g. last week flew MI -> MS at 10k / 175 IAS at 12.8 GPH LOP. Can’t beat it.

1 hour ago, CoinDealer said:

It sounds like a real DUD. I'm reading and learning. I met several years ago at a meeting for my club  Steve Broussard . He sells new O and I just got off the phone with him asking him a host of questions. I told him that Steven will not allow me to fly left seat in his plane and until I have a clue with my 30 years of muscle memory how the plane flies from the left seat I'm in a pickle. He said he has one client with a new plane at HWV and one at SMQ. The latter does not have O2. My thinking for years is if I need O2, then I have a problem because I never fly above FL110. When I decide on a planeI may bite the bullet and buy a plane less than 4 years old. I'm an ex A&P from 1971  ( Just a few years ago ) :). The plane I buy will be equipped with the TKS. Do not need the AC or the O2. I'll be in Fl in the winters and NY in the spring and summer months. Take off, get to 3500 and it starts to cool off real quick. I appreciate the quick response on this forum that people give me. If ever flying up in the FRG area, give a call. I'd enjoy meeting other pilots.

Dan  Cell 516 816 1711

You may reconsider your max altitude and want/need for oxygen after getting an Ovation. In the Arrow I rarely went above 10k. Just took forever to get there. In my Ovation, I rarely go below 10k for any significant distance. In the mid teens the air is usually smooth, traffic is minimal, and you have lots of glide range. When the tailwinds are good you can easily get 200+kts groundspeed on minimal fuel. 

• Like 4

I find the higher I climb the better the fuel economy with no change in KTAS since I fly LOP down low and it will transition to peak or slightly ROP up high. You just need to keep turning up the RPM. I do cross the Sierras and the Rockies and find the performance really nice, I’m sure it’s not turbo nice but I’m really happy with it. When I’m up at 17,500 I see 10.4 gph, 2550 rpm, and 174 ktas. My FF varies from 13.2 gph @ 2400 rpm down low to 10 gph @ 2600 rpm up high at max altitude but my ktas always is around 173 ktas. With the ability to tanker 100 gallons you can see the range can be a real bladder buster.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ilovecornfields said:

You may reconsider your max altitude and want/need for oxygen after getting an Ovation. In the Arrow I rarely went above 10k. Just took forever to get there. In my Ovation, I rarely go below 10k for any significant distance. In the mid teens the air is usually smooth, traffic is minimal, and you have lots of glide range. When the tailwinds are good you can easily get 200+kts groundspeed on minimal fuel. 

I’m using O2 more and more. I have a portable tank and it is great. I sure the built in O2 keeps the cabin free of cords but I like that I can get it filled so easy and cheap which makes me use it more often. 

• Like 1