I'm looking at a 1998 M20R vs M20R OVATION3

CoinDealer

2 hours ago, CoinDealer said:

I just spoke to Ken thinking I was calling you. I'm at least minimum 9 months to a year till i purchase a plane. I'm an old A&P.  When i buy the plane it's not going to be older than 15 years. I'm not a fan of old planes. I've been flying them too long and just want something newer. I will be at Elite at CDW tomorrow. Textron has a display from 3-9 and Saturday too. I'm picking up a friend at 3N6 and we are heading over there  about 4:30. Then to N07 for dinner. I'll then drop him at home and fly back to FRG

Dan

Oops,

Sorry for the confusion, Dan... 

Unlike, Me... Ken is actually an airplane salesman!  :)

He is also the guy that mentioned that he would have a Long Body for sale in the near future...

Since you have time...

Have you seen All American?   http://allamericanaircraft.com/default.htm

Click on their inventory button... there is many Mooneys resident for sale there...

Best regards,

-a-

On 9/10/2019 at 1:36 PM, CoinDealer said:

In Florida, I would be flying between 7FL6 and FRG. Total distance is about 800 nm. My gut can handle upwards of 4.5 hrs.  I did a BST to FRG in an Archer 2 with a 55 knot head wind as part of a PALS flight a while back with no trouble. As for the turbo, I used to work for Butler Aviation at FRG back in the late 60s. I was a graduate of the Academy of Aeronautics now Vaughn College. I learned back then how to preserve an engine. The turbo and FIKI gives one options that non turbo does not. I was for  a while thinking about a Matrix until Avemco said they don't insure them. 

Dan, PM me if you want and we can meet up and chat about all this.  Happy to share what I know and take you up in the O3.

Steve

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, StevenL757 said:

Dan, PM me if you want and we can meet up and chat about all this.  Happy to share what I know and take you up in the O3.

Steve

Call anytime. Tomorrow I'm flying to 3N6, picking up my friend and going to see the Elite expo at CDW. Then off to N07 for dinner and  taking him home and back. In the evenings call the 718#. rest the cell

Dan

Business card.jpg

Just now, CoinDealer said:

Well a head of you. I'm always game

PS. You think I might like planes? Graduated the Academy of Aeronautics at LGA in 1971 . Used to work at Butler at Marine Air terminal before working in my dad's store. My brother used to keep his Cherokee D  N6394J at Flushing airport :) Can never get enough air time.

One day while at Butler my boss told me to take a ride with someone in his jet to Dulles to pick up some radios we were going to install. Man turned out to be Bill Lear and his Lear 23B with CJ610 turbo jets. He held the brakes and when released we were level at FL450 in 6 minutes and 42 seconds by my watch. That sucker was a rocket

If you go Acclaim... you will stay well ahead of me...  :)

But if your O only gets 280 horses.... :):)

Before I forget again.... at AAA... you will be speaking with David or Jimmy... I won’t be there either.  David and Jimmy are a wealth of knowledge in the selection of Mooneys, instruments, and training... and insurance and registration and....  

they are great at covering everything a new owner needs to get going, and get home safely...

Best regards,

-a-

9 minutes ago, carusoam said:

If you go Acclaim... you will stay well ahead of me...  :)

But if your O only gets 280 horses.... :):)

Before I forget again.... at AAA... you will be speaking with David or Jimmy... I won’t be there either.  David and Jimmy are a wealth of knowledge in the selection of Mooneys, instruments, and training... and insurance and registration and....  

they are great at covering everything a new owner needs to get going, and get home safely...

Best regards,

-a-

PS, Don't worry about me being out in front. Tomorrow is an old Archer with fixed gear. I fly it on tach and never push it. I can't win any race :(

5 minutes ago, StevenL757 said:

Yea...upset recovery stuff.  Among other things.

Talk about upset recovery?  I was flying this plane 10 years ago with my girl friend. We took off from 3N6 at 9pm in December. WX called for clear to FRG. At 400' we were in solid IMC with snow. I was not going back into 3N6 with trees on 3 sides and a 50' wide rw and zero visibility. Anyway heading toward COL, when I started to turn left got hit by a cross wind that flipped me upside down at 2500'. I immediately cut the power, recovered and added 15 degrees of flaps. Slowed the plane to 90 knots. Called  JFK on 119.1 only to hear stay below bravo. Using a panel mt 430 and my 296 0n the window, I flew at 1400' back to FRG. When near, I got the ATIS and called tower. They told me to leave the area and file an IFR. That was not going to happen. I told them I'm not IFR certified and asked are there any other idiot VFR pilots in the area. They responded no, so I declared an emergency and they allowed me to land. End of story. I live to tell the story but flying 25 yrs at night with more than 30% of total time at night has helped me to understand the planes and not worry. Just fly the plane.

IMG_20161007_194758047.jpg

• Like 1

On 9/11/2019 at 9:30 AM, midlifeflyer said:

Have you looked into the insurance cost issue for the step up. It shouldn't be a problem but I've seen some, let's say, interesting underwriting decisions.

Elite is running a small display of planes today at CDW. I was there yesterday. The have several new Beechcraft, all the Cirrus including the jet, the Pilatus PC12 &24, Piper Meridian, Socata and more. I flew into see it last night with a friend.

On 9/12/2019 at 9:12 PM, StevenL757 said:

Steve

Hi Steve, I was waiting on Nins and peedles for your call yesterday :)  Anyway, Elite is running a small display of planes today at CDW. I was there yesterday. The have several new Beechcraft, all the Cirrus including the jet, the Pilatus PC12 &24, Piper Meridian, Socata and more. I flew into see it last night with a friend.

Dan

The only plane my uncle had no trouble at 82 sitting in was the Vision Jet.It's a true 5 passenger dream machine. The one thing aside from the financial aspect that would ever stop me from owning it is I hate side stick aircraft. They for me are not comfortable to hand fly. I have 75 hours in SR20 and found the thing I hated most is that Cirrus designs their planes to be flying computers.Whether it's the SR20/22 or the Vision Jet, they want you to take off and at 400' go to auto pilot. In 25 years of flying I've found times where I wished I had an AP like flying home from N14 to FRG on Friday night at 9pm. Flying a 78 Archer hand flying at night with just a G430 and a dark panel is not comfortable after an hour. I find by the time I get home, the next day I'm shot from the concentration aspect. I'm turning 70 in March.  But in sticky situations, I like hand flying the planes. By hand flying you always know if the plane is in baIance among other factors. I have time in the Meridian/Malibu/Matrix . He was very comfortable in the rear seat but could not climb into the Copilot seat. I love that plane but it flies like a truck. My insurance company is Avemco. They won't insure the PA46. Some how I don't think flying the Vision Jet VFR would be the most practical thing I could do :) The PC12 is a wonderful plane but burns 68 gallons an hour.  With a 402 gallon tank, yikes for filling that sucker up.

D

• Like 1

Hi, Dan, You might want to add a Mooney20S  to your list. I was in the market to replace the beloved 20K that broke. Kissed a lot of flying frogs, as it were. Then I met this charming  Screaming Eagle, and fell in love at first sight. Oh, that WOT roar of power, that astonishing climb rate! It occurred to me that living at FL0.0, I really didn’t need the turbo very often, anyway. So, long-body story short,, I bought it as grandmama’s 70th birthday present to herself, learned to appreciate its relative simplicity, stability, interior space, useful load,and capability. Speed? Yep, it’ll do that, but I’m usually content at 9 gph and 168 kts LOP.. Some previous owners with exquisite taste had already upgraded the interior, panel, engine rating and prop, so all I had to do was fly! It has whisked us all over the country so far, from coastal Carolina to Oregon and Calif, over Rockies and all. The instrument rating has been a huge blessing, as thick smoke from widespread western wildfires was as much a non-issue as our east coast low thin overcasts and bumpy cu are. It’s so nice, smooth and cool on top. Of course I have a wish list, but FIKI really isn’t on it. I promised my Creator solemnly years ago I’d never ever get myself in ice again... twice. Fortunately, these are extraordinary airplanes. Enjoy your shopping. 

• Like 6

Steven L took me up over Montauk Point today to do some air work @ 6000'. I did a lot of 360 turns to each direction. As we did it he was adding in flaps, slowing us down and eventually the speed brakes. With in a half hour I was very comfortable flying it at the stall speed with the horn blaring away. Kept plane with in a 50' range and really loved the flying characteristics of the plane. I'm planning on doing a NY to FL flight with Steven with in the next month and much more flying. Since I just started the hunt, I know now that I've no need for the Turbo but I will for FIKI. AC I can live with out. I've not had AC in 25 yrs, don't need it now. The IFR will come with in the first year of owning the plane knowing it will be equipped exactly the way I want it to be if even if I have to build the panel myself with up grades. Steven has on his plane an L3 with TCAS which is much better than just the ADSB. If the airliners are using it, there's a good reason why. Since I basically know diddly squat about Mooney's, I'm still quite a ways away from really plane hunting but I won't buy a plane more than 16 yrs old. I don't want a plane with any steam gauges when I make my decision. Thanks for the input though, much appreciated. 

D

Steven L panel.jpg

• Like 1

@CoinDealer, Amelia has a good point.  There are a few S models out there that are good candidates for upgrade.  They are identical in every way to the Ovation, except the native S models have their engines derated.  They can be upgraded just like an Ovation to the 310 STC, and broadly, have gross weights and capabilities nearly identical to the Ovation.  Definitely worth adding to the search list.

Dan,

StevenL’s plane is top shelf Mooney...

There is nothing wrong with limiting your search to newer planes... go with it! :)

Just keep in mind... you can refresh the panel of an O1 to look like the work Steven has done...  in the event you can’t find one that meets your expectations...

So few Ovations come up for sale some times...

+1 on finding a Screamin’ Eagle like Amelia did... M20R and M20S can be mostly interchangeable with enough funds...

And if you really want... I know some guys in TX that are building some really nice Ovations... but they are listed at near full price...

So... did Steven’s O meet your expectations? Exceed your expectations? Or wasn’t what you were looking for?

Best regards,

-a-