Panel Upgrade

spectre6573

8 hours ago, bob865 said:

I was curious about that.  I currently don't have a GPS and am looking at adding one.  I already have a G5 and was going to add a second with the GPS to that they could act as the CDI and annuciator so I wouldn't need to add another CDI on the panel.  With your install, do you get all of the info displayed on the G5?  Do you have an autopilot and does the G5 still output course info to your autopilot based on the flight plan in the GPS?

The G5 can act as a CDI.   When connected to something like an IFD, it can switch between course indication as a CDI for a VOR or ILS or GPSS.

My Century autopilot needs the gyro attitude indicator and a GAD29b for input and could be driven by the GPS course or a VOR through the GPS navigator (an IFD in my case).

• Thanks 1

On 9/10/2019 at 12:45 AM, spectre6573 said:

Looking for some brain power from you guys.

I am looking to do a big upgrade on my panel to get rid of the old stuff as anybody would. So first, my mission is that I use my airplane to commute back and forth to work approximately 30-50 hours a month VFR and IFR and a lot at night.

Currently in the airplane;

IFD540

JPI EDM 900

and a full working Brittan AP (no alt hold) Nav and heading tracking.

Have a second narco nav/comm that I would like to upgrade as well.

Currently this all works pretty well together and since my trips are between 3-6 hours legs, an AP is pretty important.

So what I have been looking at;

-Aspen EVO PRO Max and the MFD 1000 MAX for backup with Trutrak and a NGT-9000

-500 TXI, to much money for me

-G3x 10 inch with no EIS, Trutrak (when ready of course), NGT-9000, G5 for backup (if needed which I think it is)

-Dual G5's with trutrak and NGT-9000.

Since the Aspen setup will be almost 20k along, this makes the G3x very competitive as long as it will work with my IFD540 and the trutrak autopilot when it is ready (g3x and trutrak work on the experimental side from what I have read on the RV forums. I am a bit of a techie so eye candy is nice but looking from input from people that have gone down this path and what they have found.

I was just reading about your panel question. I've been using this set up in an old Warrior owned by http://www.flyforreal.com/Fleet/N2280Q.  The avionics are worth more than the plane. The set up does work well and makes the Warrior basically all electric. Take a look . Dan 

2280Q_panel.jpg

• Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 6:08 PM, EricJ said:

The IFD is supposed to be plug-in compatible with GNS boxes, so if a G3x work with those it should work with an IFD.   I think that's the answer to the technology part of the question, anyway.   I think it's fairly obvious why Garmin folks say it won't work, just like using a G5 with an IFD, which several of us have.

I lost interest in the GFC500 once I saw how the servos are installed in a Mooney.   Not my cup of tea, so I'll wait a bit longer and see how the pending solutions stack up.   Otherwise I'm in a similar boat, IFD540, EDM900, and right now a single G5 since I had to keep my (now inop) Century autopilot fed with gyro attitude input.   I'd like to add either a G3x or a just a second G5 and a decent AP, but I'm not too worried about waiting a bit longer for it.  

What is the issue of the Garmin servo install ? I would be going from an old BK KXX 200 servo install.

Paul KIKV '77J

1 hour ago, preinke said:

What is the issue of the Garmin servo install ? I would be going from an old BK KXX 200 servo install.

Paul KIKV '77J

Look in the GFC500 thread, there are pics comparing the usual Mooney installations vs Garmin's STC installation of the GFC500.   Mooney flight controls are all pushrod, there are no steel control cables in the airplane.  The factory made provision for simple bracket adaptations for servos to use a short pushrod to connect to a bellcrank in the wing for roll and a pushrod joint for pitch in the tail.   It's very simple and has apparently been working well on Mooneys for many decades.    Garmin's installation does not use the normal servo locations and instead adds a lot of (IMHO unnecessary) bracketry to instead route steel cables and pulleys.   The result is a LOT more bracketry and a lot of cabling and pulleys.   The pitch and yaw servos run steel cable the length of the tail in order to connect at the end of the pushrods at the control horns at the rudder and elevator.    The roll servo is an entirely different compartment with cables run through several (apparently repurposed from other airplanes judging by the poor fitment) brackets to hold pulleys to route cables to the bellcrank where usually a pushrod would connect.

It's a lot of complication compared to previous installations.  I don't see a benefit to it but do see several downsides.   As an engineer if there's more complexity I want to see some benefit for it, and I just don't see it.   It looks to me like they sent the new guy that had previously only ever done cable control systems and had never seen a Mooney installation before and he could only use parts from previous STCs.