XM music help

MATTS875

On 9/12/2019 at 9:57 PM, 201Mooniac said:

I'm not sure why you say this but I currently connect my iPad to both my FS210 for flightplan transfer, weather, traffic, and AHRS and also to my PMA-8000 BTi for audio.  Since they use difference bluetooth profiles, both connections are possible.

Deleted my remarks.

In my opinion, 5.99 for a spotify premium is gonna be a lot better and cheaper for music just alone. connect the phone to the GMA35C, and enjoy.
The advantage to XM is the live news, sports etc if that's important to you. Plus the same subscription can be accessed for terrestrial use with the app on a phone (and has lot more channels).

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

On 9/9/2019 at 10:22 PM, donkaye said:

Do you also want XM Weather, or XM music only?  Do you want it movable or permanently installed?   In my case I have it both ways via the Aera 796 (external) and GDL 69A (Internal), but there are a number of alternatives depending on what you want.

Hi Don,

I'd love to know how to get my XM Sirius subscription added to my Garmin 650.  I'd like the weather and music connected.  What are your suggestions.

You can email me if you'd like when you have time.  

Thanks

Michael

Has anybody used the GDL51? How does one access the XM radio without Garmin Pilot?

You need either GP or an AeraXXX unit to work with the GDL5x units. They are portable units so you cannot use them with your certified devices such as the GTN or GNS series.

On 9/13/2019 at 8:06 PM, MrRodgers said:
Hi Don,
I'd love to know how to get my XM Sirius subscription added to my Garmin 650.  I'd like the weather and music connected.  What are your suggestions.
You can email me if you'd like when you have time.  
Thanks
Michael

The only way to do SXM with a GTN is the GDL69 units. Add the “A” suffix if you want music.

20 hours ago, larryb said:

The only way to do SXM with a GTN is the GSL69 units. Add the “A” suffix if you want music.

I think Larry meant the GDL 69A.  I got one from Australia for $1200.  It still needed to be installed and I needed an antenna.  It was the old GDL 69A that is supposed to be obsoleted in a few years.  With the GTN 650 I don't think that is the best way to go for you, due to small screen size and total cost.  I think the best way to go would be the GDL 51 for XM Weather and Music that can bluetooth to an iPad and/or Aera 796 or Aera 660.  Additionally, it is portable so you wouldn't need multiple XM subscriptions.

On 9/12/2019 at 7:35 PM, donkaye said:

I see.  You can connect your iPad to EITHER the FS 510 OR the GMA 35c, not both at the same time.  They are 2 different bluetooth connections.

But an iPad can connect to many bluetooth devices at one time. I have the GMA 35, but not the the bluetooth option so can't speak to connecting to it and the FS 510 simultaneously, but I bluetooth connect to both my FS 510 and my GTX 345 on every flight, I am also blue tooth connected to my Apple pencil which is another bluetooth device. In addition to the FS, I also connect to the GTX 345 as a backup ADHRS ready to go without any effort in the very unlikely scenario I was to lose my G500 ADHRS which is primary. IMO. The backup GTX 345  ADHRS isn't much of a backup if I have to take precious time to get connected to it. I know you have near the same panel so I recommend exploiting the capability to connect to your GTX for backup as well. I figure as long as I am connected to it, I'll never need it. 

Edited by kortopates

There are two versions of the GDL69 data receiver. There is the legacy XM version and the newer SXM version. The SXM version has better/cheaper weather plans available. If one is purchasing a used one, one would be wise to be sure which version they are getting.