XM music help

MATTS875

1 hour ago, MATTS875 said:

What is the best way to get Xm music in the plane?  My current setup is the gtn 750 with the gma35c. I would like to have it integrated through the 750. Thanks for any advice

Do you also want XM Weather, or XM music only?  Do you want it movable or permanently installed?   In my case I have it both ways via the Aera 796 (external) and GDL 69A (Internal), but there are a number of alternatives depending on what you want.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, steingar said:

Best way is to by a headset with bluetooth or a music input and bring it in off your phone.  XM is the most dysfunctional company I have ever dealt with, and the less anyone has to do with them the better.

Humm, I have XM in my car, the plane, and in the hanger. It's been fine for me.

Does your system distribute to all 4 headsets? Does it mute automatically?

Just now, Bob_Belville said:

Humm, I have XM in my car, the plane, and in the hanger. It's been fine for me.

Does your system distribute to all 4 headsets? Does it mute automatically?

Nope.  But like I said, my experience with XM was so astoundingly unpleasant that I wouldn't even consider them for anything.  I have a radio in my car, the phone or an iPod in the aircraft, and don't really need anything in the hangar.  Not in there that much.  Y'know, the whole job thing.

22 hours ago, donkaye said:

Do you also want XM Weather, or XM music only?  Do you want it movable or permanently installed?   In my case I have it both ways via the Aera 796 (external) and GDL 69A (Internal), but there are a number of alternatives depending on what you want.

I am just wanting the xm music. I would prefer to have it integrated with the gtn 750 but might not be the most economical way. If I go with the movable what would you recommend

15 hours ago, steingar said:

Best way is to by a headset with bluetooth or a music input and bring it in off your phone.  XM is the most dysfunctional company I have ever dealt with, and the less anyone has to do with them the better.

That might be the best option. I have the Bose A20 Bluetooth headsets. Thank you for the input 

15 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

GDL69a here. It works great. I have the IFD540, but the GTN750 would be the same. It acts as the head unit and displays the channels, artist, program, etc. It all comes through the audio panel with multiple mute modes.

That would be a great option  maybe down the road for me. But for now I’m looking for a little more economical way to get music. The GDL69 A is definitely nice..  maybe one day

46 minutes ago, MATTS875 said:

That might be the best option. I have the Bose A20 Bluetooth headsets. Thank you for the input 

Get the GDL 51 and wire it to your GTN 750 and GMA 35.  Have a connector come out the Glareshield so you can move the unit to the car or other airplane. Subscribe to the XM audio only .

On 9/9/2019 at 9:21 PM, MATTS875 said:

What is the best way to get Xm music in the plane?  My current setup is the gtn 750 with the gma35c. I would like to have it integrated through the 750. Thanks for any advice

In my opinion, 5.99 for a spotify premium is gonna be a lot better and cheaper for music just alone. connect the phone to the GMA35C, and enjoy.

9 minutes ago, Niko182 said:

In my opinion, 5.99 for a spotify premium is gonna be a lot better and cheaper for music just alone. connect the phone to the GMA35C, and enjoy.

And that works in the air all the time? And even if so, does he have the 35c or just the 35?

Just now, donkaye said:

And that works in the air all the time?

spotify has a download button so you can create albums of your choosings, and it will save the music when you don't have cell service. It has practically everything from Chopin and Mozart, to the stones and pink floyd, to the garbage of today like lil pump. also has podcasts available. pick your era of music and theres a 98 percent chance it will have it. As long as my phone has battery it works. When my phone dies, I also have spotify on my ipad, and also downloaded.

• Like 1

If you want to control the unit via the GTN750 I believe the only option is the GDL69A. The GDL5x series, being portable units, are only able to interface to other portable units such as GP on the iPad or the Aera series.

I have the GDL52R mounted in the tail. I chose the "R" version because the connectors are more robust. There is no 3.5mm audio jack for example, all the connections are through the 15 pin DB connector. I have it mounted in the tail because I don't like loose objects on the glare shield. I use external antennas, ADSB on the bottom and SXM on the top to get optimal reception. I used the RS232 link to control it via the Aera 796, so there is a fully hard-wired option. But most of the time I control it though GP/iPad.

Signal strength using this system has been rock solid full bars all the time. When I had the GXM40 XM radio antenna puck on the glareshield it was always losing signal depending on the plane orientation. I was always moving it around trying to get it to work well. What is strange is that the GXM40 worked really well in my J but horribly in my Encore. I tried two different GXM40's with the same result. I concluded, with sketchy evidence, that there might be some interference in the dash area in the Encore that was not present in the J. 

Larry

Your GMA 35c has bluetooth.  You can connect the iPad to the 35c and then distribute the music to all the passengers and without any connector.  It can mute for ATC too.

I have bluetooth headsets and usually just do the phone tot eh headset so each can listen to different things.  But on a flight not too long ago had a passenger with no music on their phone and so I connected to the 35c instead.  Worked great.

3 hours ago, hypertech said:

Your GMA 35c has bluetooth.  You can connect the iPad to the 35c and then distribute the music to all the passengers and without any connector.  It can mute for ATC too.

I have bluetooth headsets and usually just do the phone tot eh headset so each can listen to different things.  But on a flight not too long ago had a passenger with no music on their phone and so I connected to the 35c instead.  Worked great.

Still new to this but will I still be able to sync up with my FlightStream 510 to the gtn750 and the GMA35c? I will eventually catch on. Lol

43 minutes ago, donkaye said:

Maybe I have this wrong, but the FlightStream 510 is a Gateway, the GMA 35c is a bluetooth device.  They don't connect to each other that I am aware of.  On my GTN 750 I'm given the options of pairing either the FS 510 or my FS 210 or my GMA 35c to things like my Aera 796 or iPad.  For example, I can pair the GMA 35c to my iPad and bluetooth music to everyone in the plane, whereas if I blue toothed from the iPad to my Bose only I would hear the music.  The is lots of flexibility.

Not sure. My FlightStream connects Bluetooth with my iPad , so I guess I’m not understanding how I could connect 2 the FlightStream 510 Bluetooth and the GMA35c Bluetooth at the same time.  Maybe I’m missing something 

On 9/12/2019 at 7:27 PM, MATTS875 said:

Not sure. My FlightStream connects Bluetooth with my iPad , so I guess I’m not understanding how I could connect 2 the FlightStream 510 Bluetooth and the GMA35c Bluetooth at the same time.  Maybe I’m missing something 

Deleted my remarks as incorrect.

2 hours ago, donkaye said:

I see.  You can connect your iPad to EITHER the FS 510 OR the GMA 35c, not both at the same time.  They are 2 different bluetooth connections.

I'm not sure why you say this but I currently connect my iPad to both my FS210 for flightplan transfer, weather, traffic, and AHRS and also to my PMA-8000 BTi for audio.  Since they use difference bluetooth profiles, both connections are possible.