A&P for Pre Purchase inspection near Knoxville?

Jfiala

There’s nothing wrong with a cheap Mooney if you know what you have and have a plan. 

Some of the people here are total garbage pales and will try to make you feel bad about your decision but reality is you will never be financially ahead no matter what you do. Buy an expensive airplane with what someone else wanted or buy something with solid bones you can make your own. 

Some of the people here are total garbage pales...

I think they are just trying to prevent him from make a very expensive mistake. A couple of years ago, a new owner bought a cheap C, first annual found a corroded spar, I believe he had to part out the plane.

I bought the 2nd cheapest J on the market, runout engine, interior, avionics...I’m still in the process of making it my own.

Tom

Let change it from cheapest to budget airplane.  You can buy a vintage Mooney for less than the cost of just a kit airframe from Vans and have a good airplane.  Just be sure that the entire airplane is inspected, every cover with a screw should be opened and looked inside.

Corrosion has killed more than a few airplanes and their owners financially.

Clarence

Thank you all for the advice, I certainly appreciate it. I understand the importance of having any airplane thoroughly inspected by qualified and knowledgeable mechanic before any purchase, hence the question that started the thread.  I spoke with a very knowledgeable mechanic recommended by Stephen m20c, as he was located in Tennessee.  He provided some valuable information, I'll be sure to let you all know how everything turns out.

• Like 2

And... calling people names never works at changing their behavior...

MS is a pretty small community...

It is not the internet... it just resides on the internet.

After a while, you will probably know everybody here...

So... in that case send a PM... :)

Very often,  people’s writing skills don’t cover exactly what they are trying to convey... so while they are trying to say be careful buying the low cost plane... it comes across differently than intended...

I am here just trying to improve my reading and writing skills... the advantage is I might make a friend along the way...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

Focusing on the machinery for a moment...

Have you seen the number of people that jump into ownership ‘pre-maturely?’

Find the thread ‘F the FAA’

Some people have had the tough experience of buying a plane that costs a bunch to get up to AW standards... after the purchase...

Often they don’t have the knowledge of what AW standards are... so they get surprised.

Some spend all their dough acquiring the plane... then find out how much the engine OH is going to cost... a few months into ownership...

Back to MSers...

And.. the guy with the list you referenced... he also is incredibly helpful, in several ways...  and a genuinely nice person...

Keep in mind... it is a really great experience to go to Mooney fly-ins... guess where you are going to see the same people..?

KOSH, Mooney Summit, DMAX, MAPA...

You don’t want to dig a hole to make it uncomfortable to join with the rest of the Mooney community...

There is just too much to miss...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

There’s a positive way to do it and a negative way to do it. A I told you so list is the most unhelpful, arrogant way to do it. Not everyone has the same priority and I’ve seen that conversation play out again and again where someone is pleased with their progress, posts here, and is quickly slammed for what they spent when others don’t agree. 

There are are plenty of people here who know me and I’ve had positive conversations with. Then there’s others I don’t have second thoughts about completely ignoring in person. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, chriscalandro said:

It’s not about writing skills. 

Some people maintain lists of other people airplanes that don’t meet their standards or expectations either mechanically or financially, I maintain a list of people that don’t meet my expectations of not being a dingus. 

I maintain a list of airplanes that were purchased by people who sincerely thought they were getting a "good deal" and were saving money in the long run, but ultimately it didn't work out and they ended up spending much more on the airplane just to bring it up to airworthy condition, than they could have spent to buy the best flying example available at that time. No one is on my list who doesn't know and agree they should be there. On the other hand, there is a much longer list of members who have been very appreciative of the counsel and advice such a list as mine provides.

And while you're disparaging members, check the Leaderboard to see if anyone else agrees with you.

• Like 1

That might be how you THINK you are presenting it but reality is very different. I know others agree with me because I have had these conversations with people in person and through private message. 

You routinely give negative advice on machines you have never seen outside of pictures on the internet. It’s not helpful. 

It’s arrogance, and it seems like to most people here, a joke. And when people are at the butt end of that joke just looking for information or advice, it’s just plane (pun intended) deuchbaggery. 

That might be how you THINK you are presenting it but reality is very different. I know others agree with me because I have had these conversations with people in person and through private message. 

You routinely give negative advice on machines you have never seen outside of pictures on the internet. It’s not helpful. 

It’s arrogance, and it seems like to most people here, a joke. And when people are at the butt end of that joke just looking for information or advice, it’s just plane (pun intended) deuchbaggery. 

Ill add that you do often have good advice, but the arrogance of it is not something that can be negated. 

I’ll also add that there’s plenty of knowledgeable people who don’t contribute here because of people and comments mentioned previously. Me? I don’t care what people think of me and I’ll tell you how I think it is. 

Edited by chriscalandro

Like Anthony, I think I'm squarely in the middle of this conversation.  

Paul's list of unfortunate owners can be a warning sign to potential buyers to pay a little more for a better airframe.

On the other hand, an extra $5,000 is a lot for someone who is scraping to buy his first airplane.  There are people out there who can afford a $25,000 old M20C now, and in the future will have an additional $35,000 to spend to repair/upgrade.  They will have invested $60,000 in an airplane that is worth $50,000.  To some, that is a waste of 10 grand.  To others, it means they have the airplane that they always wanted now, rather than later.

And if someone is willing and able to do the difficult work themselves (with supervision- like Alex- @Raptor05121) then "budget" (i.e., "cheap") ownership is the best course of action.

One size don't fit all, but I sure do feel bad for new owners who have to scrap their budget Mooneys because they were beyond economic repair.

• Like 1

Just now, Andy95W said:

Like Anthony, I think I'm squarely in the middle of this conversation.  

Paul's list of unfortunate owners can be a warning sign to potential buyers to pay a little more for a better airframe.

On the other hand, an extra $5,000 is a lot for someone who is scraping to buy his first airplane.  There are people out there who can afford a $25,000 old M20C now, and in the future will have an additional $35,000 to spend to repair/upgrade.  They will have invested $60,000 in an airplane that is worth $50,000.  To some, that is a waste of 10 grand.  To others, it means they have the airplane that they always wanted now, rather than later.

And if someone is willing and able to do the difficult work themselves (with supervision- like Alex- @Raptor05121) then "budget" (i.e., "cheap") ownership is the best course of action.

One size don't fit all, but I sure do feel bad for new owners who have to scrap their budget Mooneys because they were beyond economic repair.

This