Redoing my J interior (continuous thread)

Oldguy

8 minutes ago, Oldguy said:

Between storms, cutting up fallen trees, and trying to get power restored to the house (36 hours later...), I was able to get the front plastic, Airtex leather covered front seats, and new Alpha seat belts installed in the plane. Although it seems to be progressing at a glacial pace, I am please with the results. I have yet to cover the inserts for the side panels with leather, but the plane is flyable at this point. Rear panels are patched and ready to be painted, and they should be finished up in the next couple of weeks, based on the amount of rain and my current schedule. There is another post following this one with a short PSA included.

IMG_4340 (2).jpg

Your sheet metal on the door sill has come loose, I would fix before it either before get damaged or causes damage.

• Like 1

Just now, ArtVandelay said:

Your sheet metal on the door sill has come loose, I would fix before it either before get damaged or causes damage.

Actually it is still just temporarily in place. Yet to be riveted.

• 6 months later...
On 9/17/2019 at 1:29 PM, jetdriven said:

What product is that.  I got the soundex  stuff from aircraft spruce but sent it back because it weighed 20lb.   

I just did that to my '94J. It came from the factory with the metalized mylar/foam on the sides walls but fiberglass in the ceiling and baggage compartment. I bought the metalized mylar/foam from a MSC that had a roll of it from Mooney. It's 1/2" thick with pressure adhesive backing and comes in a 54" wide x 50' roll. I bought 11 feet of it  at $30.55/ft. I weighed it and it was 2 lb heavier than the fiberglass removed.

Skip

I bought basically the same thing from Airtex...it worked out really well...it has a strong adhesive on one side and an embedded foil coating on the outside...very easy to cut and soundproof the plane.  I highly recommend the carpet, and carpet walls, and wind lace as well from Airtex.
plastic panels from plane plastics=lots or work....trim, trim trim...in and out of the plane

• Like 1

2 hours ago, larrynimmo said:

I bought basically the same thing from Airtex...it worked out really well...it has a strong adhesive on one side and an embedded foil coating on the outside...very easy to cut and soundproof the plane.  I highly recommend the carpet, and carpet walls, and wind lace as well from Airtex.
plastic panels from plane plastics=lots or work....trim, trim trim...in and out of the plane

I bought the carpet and side panels from Airtex -- didn't think to ask them about the insulation. Curious what Airtex's price was?

My Airtex order got hung up when the factory was closed for COVID and so I didn't have the windlace when I needed it. Bruce Jaeger came through with some he has made. When I got the Airtex windlace, I compared it and I actually like Jaeger's better. It is a softer vinyl material and Bruce puts a double sided tape on it which holds it in place when installing all those screws.

I used Airtex windlace when I redid a '78J years ago and it's a good product -- I just like Bruce's a little better. But, I've got enough Airtex windlace now to do a main door and baggage door if anyone wants some.

Jaeger also has a edging to go around the windows that is soft rather than the harder original material. I really like it, but you have to glue it on with some clear RTV (which Bruce supplied).

Skip

The airtex windlace was the beginning of My M20C’s rehab....  :)

The stock fabric covered hardened foam was ragged and hung at eye level...

People don’t want to go flying when they first see that...

I was equally unimpressed when I first saw it... :)

20 years ago.

Best regards,

-a-