Redoing my J interior (continuous thread)

Oldguy

On ‎9‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 4:40 PM, DonMuncy said:

My Home Depot (or Lowes, I forget which) stopped selling the real MEK in quarts, but still sold gallons. I guess they think that cheap people need protection, but rich guys are smart enough to know what they are doing. I don't know if that is still the case. I bought a gallon several years ago, and still have half of it. 

Do you think this is the reason I can't remember anything anymore? ;)

I think it's called CRS. I have it, it seems to be getting worse.

• Like 1

What product is that.  I got the soundex  stuff from aircraft spruce but sent it back because it weighed 20lb.   

I don’t know, previous owner had it done, I’ve always assumed it was standard for anyone doing SB208. Logs just say SB was complied with, insulation replaced with supplied style. Don’t know who supplied it, maybe he got it from NASA as Marauder mentions.

9 hours ago, Hyett6420 said:

Hi John, sorry ive only juse seen this post.  One of the learnings i had was that clips for the mats are critical or the mats move forward and ride up the rudder pedals.  Obviously as you know i do rebulds witha cheque book, but i know my limitations (IT departments and companies are my forte). 

See you at the Summit.  (Chest permitting) 

Andrew

Andrew hope you can make it, bring an extra like me, what’s up with you chest, DB

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

So a couple of things have gotten in the way of moving along with my interior redo. First, was a little avionics work where I swapped out my 430W for an IFD 540, my KT 74 for an AXP 322 (remote), pulled out the MX 20, and moved everything into the center stack. (Thank you, @Avionics Source Chase for being so understanding and supportive)  While I would liked to have cut a new panel, I am waiting on the Aspen MAX MFD due to come to me in the March/April time frame before I do that.

IMG_4173.jpg

And, of course, when I went to take the plane to the avionics shop, I put the seats in to fly it over and ended up with the copilot seat in the pilot position. Not really a problem until take off. The pins were apparently worn enough, the seat slid back on me as I was rolling. I was able to grab the center post, pull myself up and lock into position without a real problem, but there was a pucker factor, I won't lie. Once I got the panel work done and the plane back home, I pulled the seats and checked them.Here are pictures of the seat with the bad/worn pins, the two (new/old) pins side by side, and the seat with new pins installed.

IMG_4237.jpg

IMG_4238.jpg

IMG_4239.jpg

I was surprised how little wear it took for the pins to slip. I highly recommend this be something looked at during annual when the seats come out.

So now the front carpet is in, rear seat pans have the carpet glued to them, the fuel selector plastic is replaced, and the emergency gear handle plastic is being cut to fit. If I could stay in town for more than 3 or 4 days at a time, I think I could get more done, but such is life.

More as the process moves ahead.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, jetdriven said:

Use snaps on the carpet to keep it from moving around.  And when you want to clean and vacuum them they remove in a few mins.  

Fortunate to have had a previous owner have the carpet put in with snaps. Just had to locate the spots on the new carpet and put them on. Some masking tape on the backside let me mash it down hard enough to locate each spot. I did them one at a time so it came out level without any wrinkles. 

• 2 weeks later...

Spent some time this weekend working on the plane. I did not realize my original sidewalls for the footwells did NOT have the plastic footwell pieces, so a quick order to Plane Plastics solved that one problem, but introduced a couple of "Huh?!?!" moments.

Without a template, pushing a drill bit through the plastic and into the aluminum plate where they attach is a challenge for a 6'5" Oldguy who has to lie on his back, upside down, to get into the footwell. Then, the concern about what screw length will capture everything, but not go too far to snag one of the wires behind it. Drilling out the trim piece on the door threshold was also fun as it had been bent, pinched, and riveted into place. Fortunately, at least the weather cooperated and made it bearable to open the hangar door and supplement the LED lights on the ceiling.

So everything was removed, trim straightened and formed into somewhat of the correct shape, holes drilled (without snagging a wire) and the copilot trim piece with new plastic footwell installed. Time: 3 1/2 hours!

Moved over to the pilot side, and can hardly fit the trim pieces where they go as there is probably wiring along the side from avionics removed in the '80's as well as wiring left over from what replaced them and was then replaced in the '90's or early 2000's. So after standing on my head for about 4 1/2 hours, I called it a day and went to the house.

Here are a couple of shots of what I was able to accomplish:

IMG_4266 (2).jpg

IMG_4267 (2).jpg

Edited by Oldguy
Applied gravity to photos.
  • Like 5

• 1 month later...

So a few more hours spent upside down and hunched over in my plane to get a few more pieces of carpet and sidewall mounted. Still a little bit of trimming on the baggage floor carpet, but things are slowly coming together. Interesting job this time was riveting the trim piece back onto the floor behind the rear seats. Had to match up where it was previously riveted and not drill any extra holes. Took a while, but it all fell into place. Getting faster - only took 1 1/2 hours to get one screw in to hold the pilot foot well where it should be and not cut a wire.

IMG_4302.jpg

IMG_4303.jpg

IMG_4305.jpg

• Like 5

On 11/9/2019 at 1:22 AM, jetdriven said:

Use snaps on the carpet to keep it from moving around.  And when you want to clean and vacuum them they remove in a few mins.  

Byron, how did you locate the snap positions from above so you weren't drilling into anything important underneath? What snaps did you use?

Skip

2 hours ago, PT20J said:

Byron, how did you locate the snap positions from above so you weren't drilling into anything important underneath? What snaps did you use?

Skip

It’s easy, just drill through the floor, and if the drill bit snag something then shove a bunch of JB Weld in that hole and then drill in another place.;)

seriously, doing it at the annual is easiest. But removing the belly panels doesnt take long. 

I put two at the rear edge of each strip of carpet so that is six that is forward of the spar. Then I have two snaps that hold the centerpiece, located just behind the nose well box. I’ve got 4 snaps underneath the front edge of the copilot seat and I think three on the Pilot side, and then one hard action snap between each rudder pedal.

So you drill the holes from below. Poke a pick up through the hole through the carpet. Then install the snap in that hole. 
sailrite.com for the Snaps. I also stuck some reinforcing material on the back of the carpet to help hold the female snap on the carpet. The male snaps are screwed down with screws and nuts. 

30001E72-B9C3-465E-9667-5904D95A4DA8.png

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, jetdriven said:

It’s easy, just drill through the floor, and if the drill bit snag something then shove a bunch of JB Weld in that hole and then drill in another place.;)

seriously, doing it at the annual is easiest. But removing the belly panels doesnt take long. 

I put two at the rear edge of each strip of carpet so that is six that is forward of the spar. Then I have two snaps that hold the centerpiece, located just behind the nose well box. I’ve got 4 snaps underneath the front edge of the copilot seat and I think three on the Pilot side, and then one hard action snap between each rudder pedal.

So you drill the holes from below. Poke a pick up through the hole through the carpet. Then install the snap in that hole. 
sailrite.com for the Snaps. I also stuck some reinforcing material on the back of the carpet to help hold the female snap on the carpet. The male snaps are screwed down with screws and nuts. 

Sounds pretty obvious now that I read your comments -- but you're smarter than me :) Thanks for the tips !!! Skip

11 hours ago, jetdriven said:

I was fortunate enough to have the snaps there from a PO, so I took the new carpet, put some masking tape on the back of the carpet in the area where I thought the snaps should go, placed the carpet down, and pressed hard enough to dent the carpet/tape to identify where to put the female snaps. I did one at a time so I could make sure I did not create wrinkles by getting each one off a little bit.

Would love to take credit for coming up with the idea, but I read it here on MS from someone who put snaps on theirs. Just sorry I cannot remember and give credit where due.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Rather than snaps I would suggest what I did which works very well.

I found an aviation grade velcro (3M product) along with another 3M product which is applied to both the floor and velcro and acts to enhance adhesion.  I can get 3M product number next time I am at the hangar.  Once the clear liquid is applied, the Velcro will not come off.  I put two strips of velcro, one across the floor just in front of the seat rails and another across the floor near the pedals.  The rest of the carper goes under the seat and onto the floor in the rear without the need for any further velcro.  The carpet stay put without the need to drill the floor or install any mechanical fasteners.  Both the Velcro and 3M adhesive/clear liquid adhesive enhancer were purchased on Amazon.

John Breda

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 9/17/2019 at 7:21 AM, Hyett6420 said:

Hi John, sorry ive only juse seen this post.  One of the learnings i had was that clips for the mats are critical or the mats move forward and ride up the rudder pedals.  Obviously as you know i do rebulds witha cheque book, but i know my limitations (IT departments and companies are my forte). 

See you at the Summit.  (Chest permitting) 

Andrew

I need to get a pair of clips and install them.   Anyone have any suggestions one which kind to get?  That's been problem for years with my floor mats.  I've done no research on this but can't belive I didn't think of it until now.

-Seth

Between storms, cutting up fallen trees, and trying to get power restored to the house (36 hours later...), I was able to get the front plastic, Airtex leather covered front seats, and new Alpha seat belts installed in the plane. Although it seems to be progressing at a glacial pace, I am please with the results. I have yet to cover the inserts for the side panels with leather, but the plane is flyable at this point. Rear panels are patched and ready to be painted, and they should be finished up in the next couple of weeks, based on the amount of rain and my current schedule. There is another post following this one with a short PSA included.

IMG_4340 (2).jpg

• Like 1

Okay, so I am redoing the interior of the plane, and pull out the carpet, seats, side walls, etc. and going to replace with new/recovered parts. One of the other Mooney pilots at our airport is helping me, and he asks about the carpet coming out. He does restoration of buildings, and says "You know, that is just standard carpet and will light up like a match if it catches fire." This can't be true, I think. So I go back into my logs to see who put the carpet in and when it was done. Hmm, no log entries. So I take a piece of the carpet, take it out back of the house, and try to light it. Goes up like a match!

I know my plane has had exceptional maintenance from the entries in the logs, but I have no idea when the interior was redone. No documentation, no nothing about the carpet or seat covering in the plane I have been flying for the past nearly 7 years.

So a word of wisdom to my fellow Mooneyspacers: check the logs if you are not the one who installed the carpet or interior in your plane. If you do not find a record of it being done or the burn certs, take the time to see if what you have will pass. I am thankful I never needed to handle an in-flight fire, but even more so now I know the interior of my plane would not have helped me contain it at all, but rather fed it like kindling.

View recent photos.png

• Like 1