A Mooney Miracle

Hank

Well, it finally happened this afternoon. My normal trips past ATL include "remain clear of the Bravo," except for those controlers who say "stay out of the Bravo." Going to see family, my direct path is over the field. Finally decided the heck with it, dragging my wingtip on the edge of the line while zoomed in to 10nm on the G430W just adds extra workload and even more time to the trip. So Friday I decided to go around to the north (even had one controller ask me when IFR if I ppreferred HEFIN or SINCA), so I threw some Kentucky windage in just before the state line, like this:

Screenshot_20190906-213629.thumb.jpg.dc343e201cf839f489bcac8f5fc5f609.jpg

Man, those T Routes are good for something after all!

Today, coming home, I just flew the reciprocal course. Checked in with ATL somewhere over central SC, and they asked was I flying direct destination, and I said something to the effect of "I've never been cleared into the Bravo so I'm starting my deviation around the north side early." I could swear I heard laughter in the background when he gave me a quick Roger. Then later I checked in with ATL Controller #3 with "level, 8500, VFR outside the Bravo." He said he would get back to me with Bravo clearance in a little while. But in a little while, I wouldn't need Bravo clearance . . . 

Then the miracle happened! He cleared me direct to destination, into the Bravo, maintain VFR, advise before any altitude changes! Glory be, my first ever ATL Bravo airspace after five and a half years of Keep Out! Now I can add nearby ATL to my list of Cincinnati, Charlotte, Tampa, Orlando and Miami. And maybe Jax, I don't remember . . .

Here's my proof:

Screenshot_20190908-145831.thumb.jpg.ad6aef11ae4e1300fbbd94a8741f5043.jpg

It immediately took 5+ minutes off of ETE, and groundspeed picked up 8 knots after the turn. Glory be! I'd given up on this. Maybe there is hope for me to eventually not deviate at all? Nah, why push my luck that hard? 

Screenshot_20190908-182753.thumb.jpg.7fd32c14f5a74da398c1b37730be0a49.jpg

2:15 out on Friday, 2:04 home today. And Dad is doing well, only two more chemo treatments! Lots to celebrate this weekend, this is my Mooney joy.

• Like 12

Nice.

Is it not worth it to just go under it?    Or over it?   Around here (Phoenix) we only need the transition to get through the middle, otherwise people just go underneath.   That said, you usually get the clearance for the transition, too, but for that part you're only in it for a few minutes, so you're not too much bother.

12 minutes ago, EricJ said:

Nice.

Is it not worth it to just go under it?    Or over it?   Around here (Phoenix) we only need the transition to get through the middle, otherwise people just go underneath.   That said, you usually get the clearance for the transition, too, but for that part you're only in it for a few minutes, so you're not too much bother.

Bravo goes to 12,500; over is tough with a C, and requires O2. Under is pretty low, not bad for short hops but not 200nm.

• Like 2

Why not plan to go around it from the beginning?  The sooner you make your deviation the less it impacts you.

It looks like you are going from 33a to KNEW or some airport in line with that route.

33A Direct KNEW = 504 NM

33A - RMG- gcv- PCU -KNEW = 517 miles

That is only 13 miles further and it keeps you WELL clear of ATL airspace as well as some restricted areas down in the area

if you wait until you are right up on an "obstacle" before you start going around it, you may a big penalty.  If you start going around it from the beginning, you pay almost nothing.

I once deviated 600 miles off my planned route returning to Denver from Buenos Aires. It cost only 10 min extra flight time.

Edited by Austintatious
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Austintatious said:

Why not plan to go around it from the beginning?  The sooner you make your deviation the less it impacts you.

It looks like you are going from 33a to KNEW or some airport in line with that route.

33A Direct KNEW = 504 NM

33A - RMG- KNEW = 511 miles

That is only 7 miles further and it keeps you WELL clear of ATL airspace.

if you wait until you are right up on an "obstacle" before you start going around it, you may a big penalty.  If you start going around it from the beginning, you pay almost nothing.

I once deviated 600 miles off my planned route returning to Denver from Buenos Aires. It cost only 10 min extra flight time.

That's what I did this time. KALX - 33A and back again. Too far to go under the Bravo shelf.

Good news about your Dad!

Not to diminish the fun factor of getting into the class B, but if you, for example, used Cobb County (KRYY) as a waypoint and stay under 5000' for about 6 miles in that section of the class B shelf, you have to fly exactly 1.6 nm more than flying direct :) 

• Like 1