Moving to Florida

Jeremy95

I would never go to a new shop for the annual. I'd take it back to the shop that did the last annual or has done the maintenance for the last year, get the annual done, then start a relationship with a new shop in Pensacola. You'll have a year of maintenance there and get to know them before going in for annual.

Unfortunately I don’t have much of a choice with my timeline and I don’t really want to leave it out here in Clovis, NM. At this point I’m used to constantly switching mechanics, just hoping someone had experience with a shop in the area.

31 minutes ago, Jeremy95 said:

Unfortunately I don’t have much of a choice with my timeline and I don’t really want to leave it out here in Clovis, NM. At this point I’m used to constantly switching mechanics, just hoping someone had experience with a shop in the area.

Are you basing your plane at Milton?  When I was based down there, I kept my plane at Defuniak Springs (54J).  I had two annuals done there at 54J using Monarch Aviation Maintenance, its now called Eagle Aviation Maintenance.  The name change came about when the owner partnered with Onvoi GLobal Services, who happens to be a defense contractor and bases their Cessna 208 operation and a small flight school there.  Since the merger the prices have increased quite a bit.  Erik, the DOM/Owner/A&P IA worked at Destin when they had a MSC so he has Mooney experience.  There was at least one other Mooney based on the field and maintained there, but I believe that the owner of that plane may have taken his plane elsewhere for his most recent annual @thomas1142would have the most recent information on the status of EAM's current maintenance.  

Who did your last annual in Clovis/Portales?  If possible you might want to knock it out with some one you have used before, that way you have a full year to test the waters and find someone you are comfortable with.

When I moves to NE Mississippi, I could have flown back to 54J, but I now take my plane to North Carolina and AGL Aviation (MSC). 

8 hours ago, Jeremy95 said:

Hey guys, 

I am moving to the Pensacola, Fl area at the end of this month and am wondering if anyone has some info on a good mx shop in the area, my annual is coming due soon. Thanks in advance for the help!

-Jeremy 

Having lived in Florida since 1984 I wish to extend my deepest sympathies for your upcoming move. We are afflicted by humidity which will make your worst NM summer days seem pleasant, six varieties of venomous snakes ... all of which reside in the panhandle region, alligators and a general affliction of dumbness which is pervasive throughout the state. You are sincerely welcome to join us...if you are up to it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, BKlott said:

Having lived in Florida since 1984 I wish to extend my deepest sympathies for your upcoming move. We are afflicted by humidity which will make your worst NM summer days seem pleasant, six varieties of venomous snakes ... all of which reside in the panhandle region, alligators and a general affliction of dumbness which is pervasive throughout the state. You are sincerely welcome to join us...if you are up to it.

When visiting El Paso in June, my coworker and I were diwcussing and enjoying the low humidity. The woman at the hotel counter heard us, and said the humidity was terrible thatnday, she couldn't stand it. I checked my phone, it was 15%. There are not enough dehumidifiers available to get the humidity inside a Florida home down to just 15% . . . .

Welcome to the South! 

Unfortunately, we are right at the peak of hurricane season . . . . 

6 hours ago, BKlott said:

You forgot to mention no-see-ums, mosquitos, fire ants and love bugs.

The “dumbness” tends to cluster around the larger metropolitan areas.

Edited by Eight8Victor
  • Like 2

As @kpaul said, I’m based at DeFuniak Springs airport, and have used Eric at Eagle Aviation Maintenance when it was called Monarch. Eric is very through and easy to get along with. I did not do my lad5 annual with him since I was looking, and found, someone that allowed  me to participate in the process. If you go with Eric at EAM you won’t be disappointed.

Nope.  I'm not from Detroit, I just happen to live there now for work and wife.

My father lives in Florida, and I visit him regularly.  I lived in Florida for a while when I was active duty Army, and I am currently in Florida about 5 days out of the month on average.

Edited by Andy95W

I spent some of the best years, and now summer weeks, in Pensacola. Prettiest beaches anywhere, lovely rivers for kayaking and canoeing, fine sailing, excellent restaurants, fun nightlife, good wreck diving, outstanding deep sea fishing, and so much more. I’ve lived in a number of places all around the US, and Pensacola remains in my top two.

My brother, a C182 driver who lives just one county west of Pensacola, likes Mapoles Aviation, on a nice grass strip near Pace, north of Pensacola. He just had his prop balanced and ADS -b installed there for a reasonable price. 850-994-7729. 

He and I both think very well of Don Ford, at Aerohead Aviation, KMOB. He is meticulous, straightforward to the point of brutal honesty. 251-604-7804. He has dug me, a transient visiting family, out of several tight spots with good cheer and kindness. “He won’t be the cheapest annual, because he won’t let things slide,” says my brother..

Good luck! Hope you have as good a time in Pensacola as I always have.

Edited by Amelia