Looking for an M20C

Hello,

My name is Chris. I have been considering purchasing a plane for the past few years, but I'm in a good club and had trouble figuring out what aircraft would be the best fit.  I decided on an M20c for its speed, simplicity, reasonable fuel burn, and reasonable acquisition cost.  It also has the O-360 which I consider to be one of the best GA piston engines.  

So, I'm looking for a nice M20C with the following:

Airframe in good shape
Complete logs
201 Windshield
Engine under 1000 hours, but flown regularly
IFR GPS (preferably WAAS)
ADS-B out
Good paint (7 or better)
Good interior (7 or better)
Wing leveler

Nice to haves:

Engine monitor
Avidyne or Garmin G5
Real autopilot
Cowl Closure Modification

Is there anything else I should be looking for?  I realize I may have to compromise, but I don't have time for a restoration project.  Also, does anyone know of something similar for sale or that might be coming up for sale soon?  I found a few that looked like they were for sale (N78884, N669GJ), but it turns out they were already sold or had an offer.

• Like 1

1964 or newer will get you an armrest on the Pilot side. 1967 or older will get you more flush rivets on the wings, adjustable cowl flaps and a typically better cruise speed. The 201 windshield will not make your Avionics Shop happy as access to behind the panel is more difficult for them. 1965 or newer gets you slightly larger fuel capacity. 1968 or newer will probably mean fixed boarding step, fixed cowl flaps and may or may not provide the dorsal fin.

A good, clean C or E with slick finish, young engine and prop is plenty fast as it left the factory.

• Like 1

On 9/9/2019 at 9:03 AM, Jim Peace said:

I don't have that in my 64C

My Dad’s 1964 model had the armrest. Something I’ve specifically looked for in the interior pictures of C models for sale. 1963 and older, unless modified, don’t seem to have them 1964 and newer do. Yours is the first that I’ve heard of not having one.

Edited by BKlott

On 9/9/2019 at 7:19 AM, BKlott said:

1964 or newer will get you an armrest on the Pilot side. 1967 or older will get you more flush rivets on the wings, adjustable cowl flaps and a typically better cruise speed. The 201 windshield will not make your Avionics Shop happy as access to behind the panel is more difficult for them. 1965 or newer gets you slightly larger fuel capacity. 1968 or newer will probably mean fixed boarding step, fixed cowl flaps and may or may not provide the dorsal fin.

A good, clean C or E with slick finish, young engine and prop is plenty fast as it left the factory.

Include ‘66 on flush wing rivets...

On 9/9/2019 at 12:19 AM, BKlott said:

I'm reading that '67 is near-optimal for a C? :D

7 hours ago, Hank said:

By 1970, the annoying-to-work-on hydraulics were gone, as was the old shotgun panel. Higher gear speeds, too.

When did the full-length rudder appear? 

Agreed- the shotgun panel was less-than-optimal.   That is the first thing we 'fixed' after we acquired our bird.   She's cherry now in that regard.

According to what I read on this site, the C & E didn't get the larger rudder until 1969.   The only times I wished that I had a larger rudder were those times that I forgot to use adverse yaw on crosswind takeoffs.  Not sure if that extra ~1 ft. of rudder down below the elevator in the wake of the fuselage adds much yaw authority.  Must add some though or they wouldn't have done it.

Gear speeds are the same aren't they (125 mph)?   I think you mean higher flap speeds?

Also, '67 was the last year that the C model came from the factory with a dorsal fin that connects the top of the fuselage to the tail.  Later versions were often modified to include this fin because of its perceived addition of yaw stability in turbulence.

On 9/13/2019 at 11:16 PM, Hank said:

By 1970, the annoying-to-work-on hydraulics were gone, as was the old shotgun panel. Higher gear speeds, too.

When did the full-length rudder appear? 

Might be “annoying” to work on, but they are stone simple to operate (when operating well, which is ALL the time when properly sorted) and eliminate the “electric” component that can fail and is definitely more costly to maintain if there are problems.  Brake and flap repair kits are cheap.  We get the pneumatic step retract in older models.  You get a fold down rear seat.  I don’t like the throttle quadrant and the slanted panel gauge pack.  A panel redo is a nice upgrade for BOTH old and “newer”.  Johnson bar for the win (over electric gear).

Tongue in cheek all as you love what you love and that is generally “what you have”.  Bill Wheat said “The ‘66 & ‘67 M20’s had the smoothest wing”.  Those model years with a speed slope cowl were two primary considerations when I was shopping the vintage M20 market back in the day...

• Like 1

On 9/13/2019 at 6:49 AM, M20Doc said:

Newer models also have Camloc fasteners for the cowl sides and way fewer screws elsewhere on the cowl.

Clarence

I still think my 1964 cowling looks better than my '67, but the screws are a huge PITA.  My '64 is also appreciably faster, but not sure why.  I actually had more mods on my '67.

On 9/13/2019 at 5:49 AM, M20Doc said:

Newer models also have Camloc fasteners for the cowl sides and way fewer screws elsewhere on the cowl.

Clarence

Mine has a whole bunch of camlocs, and two screws--just to either side of the prop. Hmmm, there may be two smaller ones at the rear corners, too.

My backseat came from the factory as a split fold-down, for carrying larger stuff while leaving room for a third person.

It took a little adjustment, but I've come to like the slanted 6-pack oanel because it allows more stuff on the left side. I count 10 instruments, plus the gear switch, idiot lights and 2 VOR heads to the left of the radio stack. And the ignition, (added) vacuum gauge, etc.

20150522_170516.thumb.jpg.bf5f9ba1a3c8bbaa15d47d914840358d.jpg

One thing I've never understood is why the older Mooneys put the ignition key at the top of the panel. Especially since the ignition key only works on the ignition, and each door has its own key. That leaves the other keys dangling in front of whatever instrument is below it . . . .

13 hours ago, Andy95W said:

I still think my 1964 cowling looks better than my '67, but the screws are a huge PITA.  My '64 is also appreciably faster, but not sure why.  I actually had more mods on my '67.

But hand painting the screw heads to match the paint scheme can be a fun Father / Son activity, one my Dad and I shared in 1970 while touching up his 1964 C model.

• Like 1