Open tube from side scoop

N9434V

Picture from Right Instrument panel on a 1970 M20.    in the center of the picture just above the numbers is an open tube,  it is one of two tubes that open into the right side scoop just in front of the door.   One tube has a clear tubing that runs toward the rear of the radio stack the other is just open.    Should something be on the other tube?

Dennis 

447865761_opentube.thumb.jpg.f5d93f308f52be37b2da0a556d730f3a.jpg

They were for cooling the radios. Most people don’t use them anymore because they can fill your expensive avionics with water if you fly through the rain. You can put hoses on them and direct them near the radios to cool behind the panel or just cap them off.

Edited by N201MKTurbo

I have mine pointed in innocuous locations. There needs to be some fresh air behind the panel. It is like a solar cooker in there. Especially sense I got the Avidyne. That thing will burn your fingers in the summer (not exaggerating). An avionics cooling fan will not remove any heat from behind the panel, it just runs it around in circles. I have the hoses pointed so the worse they will do is get my feet wet, which they have never done. I flew through some pretty heavy rain on Thursday with no water on my feet.