Broken C model handle

The interior handle snapped and a small piece of metal broke off. It's able to open the latch now but not close it (from the inside). I see the importance of keeping a vice grip in the aircraft now. Can anyone tell what's going on based on the part shown in the photo?

IMG_20190907_142559.jpg

The handle is dip coated in some tough plastic material...

The handle itself is a cast piece of aluminum...

The pin that holds the handle on the door hardware is a standard aviation part...

What broke?

What isn’t working?

Do you need another?

call grimmy the reaper...

Best regards,

-a-

Thanks, that's just the information I was looking for. The handle itself seems to be intact. The part that broke is seen in the picture snapped between the door and the handle. It looked like a metal material rather than hard plastic. Functionally, the handle can spin too far forward and doesn't operate the latch anymore in the securing direction, but will operate the latch to release it if secured.

8 minutes ago, BrettKS said:

Thanks, that's just the information I was looking for. The handle itself seems to be intact. The part that broke is seen in the picture snapped between the door and the handle. It looked like a metal material rather than hard plastic. Functionally, the handle can spin too far forward and doesn't operate the latch anymore in the securing direction, but will operate the latch to release it if secured.

If it’s like my 67 F the piece between the handle and door is just a trim piece that covers the part of the handle where a roll pin affixes the handle to the door mechanism. Looks like your roll pin is MIA and the trim piece is a shadow of its former self.

• Like 1

Be glad, roll pins are easy.

My handle cracked through the roll pin; i rotated it and had a toolmaker at work drill a new hole straight through and the roll pin was pushed out of alignment by the hole in the square part inside the door--had to locate and buy a new handle. Fortunately there was someone at the airport to open the door and let my CFII and I get out . . . . 

A beefy cutter pin works in a pinch as well. Vice grips will nurl the shaft, I keep a thin screw driver with end ground rounded to not puncture my seat where I store it. If my roll pin comes up missing again, I insert that in the shaft hole and it turns the system very easy. Sure beats getting locked in. Lol

The roll pin is the standard aviation part that goes mia over time....

it is a spring like material that keeps it in place... over 40 years, it loses its springiness and escapes...

a new plastic trim piece can be acquired...

safety wire can work pretty well...

The hex wrench used to remove avionics, also doubles as a door handle replacement... in a pinch.

Also...

Check the baggage door to make sure it can be opened from the inside... Many can, some need and updated hardware set...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

The 0875 number is associated with a few different roll pins... it might be a code.

+1 on Ron’s idea... call Lasar... most direct and accurate method.  Even if only buying the pin.

Or take a stab in the dark for a few cents... 0875...? https://www.zoro.com/spirol-coiled-spring-pin-316x-78sd-ss-pv-spcsp-187-0875/i/G9154489/feature-product?gclid=CjwKCAjwzdLrBRBiEiwAEHrAYjcGXtgJrtEiaNnoqWK7J5Tq5QXq_U64jC1fBbPAoKEc0rX6FKmw-BoC7moQAvD_BwE  (less than PP idea, definitely not a mechanic...)keep the hex wrench handy... :)

Best regards,

-a-