Instrument Static line SI M20-43

jamesm

I am in the process in compiling with SI M20-43 which relocates the static source tee fitting  (the plane was  originally  delivered the TEE is located on the left side static port) that the that the feeds static system. The SI relocates the TEE to near the top of fuselage  in the tail section.  I have taken the aluminum tubing static assembly home to do a  leak test it before installing it. The SI calls out the compression fittings but seems like a real PITA to make these compression fittings not to leak. After watching a few You tube  videos and   I am seeing how leak pron the  compression fittings can be.    I have looked in the AC43-13-1B   and other sources to see if there some information "approved/ acceptable" fittings  for static lines. AC43-13 talks about static testing but I didn't see anything that talks about specific fittings to be used for static lines. I don't remember  covering this topic in A&P school either. I ask an IA  about "approved"  fitting for the  static /pitiot lines. and agreed there is nothing that states specific fittings to be used for static lines on certified aircraft.  I see that experimental  guys are using   PTC (Push to connect) versus  Compress fittings. Seems  like a much better solution.

Is there something that I am missing on my fitting dilemma or am I over thinking this?

TIA,

James '67C

Mine has all plastic fittings and plastic tubing back to the ports.   Things I know about the plastic fittings is that there is too tight and too loose.   Some need new o rings each time you open them.  Just right tight is finger tight and about an 1/8 turn with a wrench

The push fittings are really cool.  Pretty much what all pneumatic stuff uses nowdays.   So if that industry standards is applicable to airplanes, and you can pass the static test, and your IA is comfortable signing off on your sign off

Not an AP or anything.   Happen to work in the controls industry

The service instruction covers all M20 series  and specifically lists M20C's and some of the  earlier SN's of the M20J's & M20K's  Models it publish in 1979.

is it all plastic even between the static button ports  on sides of the fuselage  on the M20F models ?  or did it get converted to plastic along the way ?

Could they use the plastic fittings with the specific  union and tee fittings called out in the service instruction ? I thought those   fittings are  used with 3/16" aluminum  tubing?

image.thumb.png.2aeef7338224000f4f5015cc02d760c2.png

I replaced all my static lines a few years ago. I was always having a hard time passing the static leak test. The plane had polyethylene tubing. I replaced it all with nylon and new fittings. It has been solid ever sense. 

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/categories/aircraft_parts/ap/menus/ha/fit_znylo.html

@jamesm- I just did this SI on my M20C this year.  I used the Nylo-seal fittings that Rich referenced above as well as an additional brass fitting for the connection to the existing components.  I didn't worry so much about the exact part numbers listed in the SI, I just made the installation look like the one in the picture.  My logbook signoff was that it was a minor alteration, noted the approved parts, and my data was the Mooney approved service letter drawing.

The Nylo-seal fittings are very good.  They have to be good and snug, but not monkey tight.  They seal very well.

How did you make the conversion off the static port button? 

So aren't the fittings from the static port buttons  very short aluminum tubing then  brass union (62X3).

is there way come off the static port button directly  into a  nylo-seal fitting(s) ?

Thanks for all the great advice.

James '67C

On 9/7/2019 at 5:44 AM, jamesm said:

I am in the process in compiling with SI M20-43 which relocates the static source tee fitting  (the plane was  originally  delivered the TEE is located on the left side static port) that the that the feeds static system. The SI relocates the TEE to near the top of fuselage  in the tail section.  I have taken the aluminum tubing static assembly home to do a  leak test it before installing it. The SI calls out the compression fittings but seems like a real PITA to make these compression fittings not to leak. After watching a few You tube  videos and   I am seeing how leak pron the  compression fittings can be.    I have looked in the AC43-13-1B   and other sources to see if there some information "approved/ acceptable" fittings  for static lines. AC43-13 talks about static testing but I didn't see anything that talks about specific fittings to be used for static lines. I don't remember  covering this topic in A&P school either. I ask an IA  about "approved"  fitting for the  static /pitiot lines. and agreed there is nothing that states specific fittings to be used for static lines on certified aircraft.  I see that experimental  guys are using   PTC (Push to connect) versus  Compress fittings. Seems  like a much better solution.

Is there something that I am missing on my fitting dilemma or am I over thinking this?

TIA,

James '67C

Your observation is correct...

Compression fittings are an experienced based system...

It takes a simple training to get them right...

It is hard to know if you are doing them incorrectly...

Mixing parts from different suppliers is a common mistake...

The pitot static system is a crummy place to have somebody learn the technology... the O2 system is a similar crummy place to learn...

PP thoughts only,

best regards,

-a-

• Like 2