Travel board vs. digital level

BDPetersen

Never having had the opportunity to use a travel board to check rigging, I’ve always wondered what advantage it has over checking say aileron travel with a digital device, such as a $10 level. Is it possible the boards are a throw back to days when precise angle measuring devices weren’t available. Educate me.

I’ve never used a digital protractor to compare against the travel boards, but I will do it when I’m at the shop.  Both the rudder and the stabilizer will still require some form of travel board to get them correct.

Clarence

The travel board takes out all the math. With the plane level, the aileron isn't--the top surface of the wing is a descending curve, and the travel board is conveniently marked not only with "0" but also degrees up and down from 0. Without resetting or moving anything. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RLCarter said:

With out a starting point (Zero) the only thing you could check would be total degrees of travel, plus wouldnt be able to do the rudder

In some cases zero is consistent with a short straightedge run across the top of the wing and the aileron, or across the stabilizer/elevator, or some other way.   Likewise you can find zero on the rudder with a straightedge or one of those big plastic adjustable protractors.   I don't know whether all of that is true with a Mooney or not.    Other than the rudder, though, once you know where zero is it should be possible to use a digital level to find the deflections.    Having travel boards does make it all pretty easy, though.    You could check the rudder with a big protractor, like this:

https://www.amazon.com/GemRed-Digital-Finder-Protractor-Stainless/dp/B00W395R5E/

Could actually use that on the rest, too.   Used a big plastic protractor at school and it worked pretty well, but it was a bit clumsy.   I did use my digital level on ailerons, flaps, etc., and we had boards for a Grumman which made it a lot easier.