This can't be legal, can it?

23 minutes ago, ragedracer1977 said:

I was just looking for a Facebook sanity check

Even the STC says in the Limitations and Conditions section that the mechanical ASI, Alt, and VSI must be retained.    Hard to get around that.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, MIm20c said:

The sad thing is this owner put a ton of money into this panel and is now being criticized.  Another $6k for a 10 in g3x and people would be drooling over the perfect Mooney panel. 

Not being criticized.  No more than pointing out that putting dshannon tip tanks on your Mooney isnt legal after you did it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MIm20c said:

The sad thing is this owner put a ton of money into this panel and is now being criticized.  Another $6k for a 10 in g3x and people would be drooling over the perfect Mooney panel. 

And it would be legal!  ;)

As I've been watching this unfold that's kind of what I've been thinking...it's a small step to a G3X from there and it would have been okay.    

Is this an actual owner of a regular certificated aircraft who had an install done by an avionics shop? Does anyone know the back story?

If this were an experimental category plane, say an avionics testbed, then this might be a very different conversation. 

3 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

Did someone mention that there's a GFC500 autopilot installed as well? Even though it's not been STC'd for the short bodies? The owner says "it's not hooked up, just installed".

I think it's actually a J-model.   In the latest post he said he was using the autopilot.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, cliffy said:

Nobody mentioned what looks to be an iPad dock way over on the right side.  And there doesn't appear to be any right side panel installed   or am I missing something?

The iPad mount is the approved guardian avionics unit.  The right (angled) panel is blank on the left side because the primary EI gauges replace the tach/mp/etc.  As I mentioned before the panel is almost perfect. However, if the shop cannot follow the basic instillation limitations they might be over their head installing AP systems etc. 

Not a FB user myself but did the owner twist the shops arm to get this layout or was it chosen for him?

2 hours ago, MIm20c said:

The iPad mount is the approved guardian avionics unit.  The right (angled) panel is blank on the left side because the primary EI gauges replace the tach/mp/etc.  As I mentioned before the panel is almost perfect. However, if the shop cannot follow the basic instillation limitations they might be over their head installing AP systems etc. 

Not a FB user myself but did the owner twist the shops arm to get this layout or was it chosen for him?

He swears that 2 master avionics installers and a very experienced IA told him it's good to go.

Did someone mention that there's a GFC500 autopilot installed as well? Even though it's not been STC'd for the short bodies? The owner says "it's not hooked up, just installed".
That was a different guy with his g3x in the short body.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

My mention of the "right side panel" was not enough to clearly portray what I was thinking about. I was referring to the missing right side wall interior panel next to the copilot position legs not the instrument panel. It seems this picture was taken in the hangar at the end of the installation with part of the interior missing. Neither comment was intended to be derogatory to the installation. They were just observations of what was contained in the picture.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, cliffy said:

My mention of the "right side panel" was not enough to clearly portray what I was thinking about. I was referring to the missing right side wall interior panel next to the copilot position legs not the instrument panel. It seems this picture was taken in the hangar at the end of the installation with part of the interior missing. Neither comment was intended to be derogatory to the installation. They were just observations of what was contained in the picture.  

I think you’re right, probably the final picture taken by the installer...I’d personally have him take one more after he upgraded the g5. 

5 hours ago, ArtVandelay said:

I’d like to see the log book entry.

That may not resolve the debate. 

My current plane came with a G500 panel upgrade done by a reputable avionics shop. The log entries were detailed and correct.  Insofar as they went.  

The logs did fail to mention that the “backup” instruments were not “legal”—the AI was electric with no backup power supply, and the altimeter was likewise electric (a KEA346) with no independent power source.   

Swapping out that AI gyro with an L3 ESI500 (internal battery) resolved the problem.  

• Like 2