Dorian Headwinds

Hector

Flew from Jacksonville FL to Hamilton OH yesterday to see my son (Miami of Ohio University). I’ve seen some bad headwinds before but fighting Hurricane Dorian winds was tuff. It was actually a very nice VFR day and I just had to get through Georgia to find better winds. Winds were significantly worse the higher you went but down low it was very bumpy ride. The wife does not like bumpy rides so had to reach a compromise between a little bumpy or watch the cars on the highway go faster than a Mooney. After we got past Georgia it was a beautiful ride the rest of the way.

75a7d6de9cc8c12b7529114423a14a9c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

What made you choose KHOA over HOXD?  

Funny you should ask!!! I had intended to fly KOXD but was arriving at 6:45 pm and, having never been there and not being able to reach anyone on the phone, I did not know if I was going to have issues getting out of the airport. KOXD is an “unattended airport” as I learned today when I drove to the airport to check it out. However, getting in/out of the airport is no problem as the airport fence is literally 4 feet high and the gates are open/ unlocked. KOXD would certainly have been more convenient as my son lives less than 2 miles from the airport, but leaving my plane in an unattended airport that is wide open with no security is bit disconcerting. Maybe I’m overthinking it and that’s not a problem in these parts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Funny you should ask!!! I had intended to fly KOXD but was arriving at 6:45 pm and, having never been there and not being able to reach anyone on the phone, I did not know if I was going to have issues getting out of the airport. KOXD is an “unattended airport” as I learned today when I drove to the airport to check it out. However, getting in/out of the airport is no problem as the airport fence is literally 4 feet high and the gates are open/ unlocked. KOXD would certainly have been more convenient as my son lives less than 2 miles from the airport, but leaving my plane in an unattended airport that is wide open with no security is bit disconcerting. Maybe I’m overthinking it and that’s not a problem in these parts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Fun stuff. I'd say you're overthinking it but I don't need a stolen plane on my conscience.

Oxford isn't without crime but it's pretty close. I graduated 2005 and never had any issues with theft and I had some really nice bikes in my dorm at the time.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

On 9/6/2019 at 1:40 PM, Hector said:

Flew from Jacksonville FL to Hamilton OH yesterday to see my son (Miami of Ohio University). I’ve seen some bad headwinds before but fighting Hurricane Dorian winds was tuff. It was actually a very nice VFR day and I just had to get through Georgia to find better winds. Winds were significantly worse the higher you went but down low it was very bumpy ride. The wife does not like bumpy rides so had to reach a compromise between a little bumpy or watch the cars on the highway go faster than a Mooney. After we got past Georgia it was a beautiful ride the rest of the way.

The winds were brutal going around the Bravo on the west side; at 7500 msl, I was indicating 122-125 knots  and making 111-115 ground speed . . . Once I turned east, ground speed added 20+ knots heading about 070.

Screenshot_20190906-213629.thumb.jpg.63e591b262ff40fa2250c47b9b5b48bb.jpg

Still waiting on that elusive ALT Bravo clearance . . . . . Three different controllers yesterday "couldn't" grant it. The nice purple line was my on-course direct plan, the blue line is where I went, and the location with no GPS is my current location with GPS turned off.

Edited by Hank