Capt. "T"

Capt. "T"

13 minutes ago, Capt. "T" said:

Anyone have a source on replacement cowling for 79 J model? I keep thinking I should clean mine up but would opt for a replacement if I don't have to pay $15K for a LoPresti.

Thanks, Capt."T"

I happen to be working on an FAA/PMA replacement cowling for J models right now. Molds are almost complete and will be pulling the first parts soon. The certification process will take a bit, but they could be installed via a 337 field approval process. The first half a dozen or so sets are already spoken for, but could add you to my list if interested. 

Thanks,

Daviid

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sabremech said:

I happen to be working on an FAA/PMA replacement cowling for J models right now. Molds are almost complete and will be pulling the first parts soon. The certification process will take a bit, but they could be installed via a 337 field approval process. The first half a dozen or so sets are already spoken for, but could add you to my list if interested. 

Thanks,

Daviid

David,

I am following your updates and waiting... Could you share the projected pricing of your cowl at this point? You might mentioned it but is it made of fiberglass or Carbon? Prepreg or hand layup?

thanks

Please do add me to the list and as was asked above, design, materials, and pricing would be nice to know. I am not in a big rush so prolly will work out fine.

Nice to know someone is on this project, I was starting to think I was going to have to build the molds and begin building cowls, I hesitated for a couple months around the time I started checking into PMA/FAA. Hope you hang in there. 

Please stay in touch, 

Capt. "T"

Creative (mis)spelling BELVILLE is becoming a national sport.:(

SabreCowl by @Sabremech. (David has done this E, his C, Matt's F, and a G under 337s.)

He is tooling to be able to offer an STC'd complete FG cowl that will look very similar to this. The price promises to be attractive. Vintage models may require new spinner and the LASAR STC'd oil cooler relocation. 

IMG_20190216_114447315.jpg

IMG_20190107_153549911_HDR.jpg

30 minutes ago, Bob_Belville said:

Creative (mis)spelling BELVILLE is becoming a national sport.:(

SabreCowl by @Sabremech. (David has done this E, his C, Matt's F, and a G under 337s.)

He is tooling to be able to offer an STC'd complete FG cowl that will look very similar to this. The price promises to be attractive. Vintage models may require new spinner and the LASAR STC'd oil cooler relocation. 

IMG_20190216_114447315.jpg

IMG_20190107_153549911_HDR.jpg

Thank you, will look into it.

VisitedStatesMap.gif

8 hours ago, wcb said:

Actually look for the new pics of his V2.  Really it is a J cowl with rounded inlets.  Looks way better than V1 (sorry Bob but I must speak the truth).

Version 2 is a much better looking cowling. Version 1 was a compromise to keep the cost as low as possible while offering an upgrade. Version 1 taught me quite a bit but was ultimately shelved because it was too labor intensive to do and only fit a few models and limited years. Version 2 will fit almost all of the 4 cylinder Mooney’s. 

Thanks,

David

• Like 2