Do you carry a Fire Extinguisher

RobertGary1

Do you carry a fire extinguisher?  

110 members have voted

1. 1. We recently had a discussion on the challenges of carrying a fire extinguisher. It can be difficult to find the room. The choices are confusing and ever changing. And they can be expensive. Do you carry one?

...come on guys - sometimes you just want to really get the aviation specific product.  Cheap fire extinguishers?  Really?  Do you want to be the guy with a fire in the cockpit and you have the $40 cheaper fire extinguisher that leaves you unable to breath?

As I said - I have two - aviation specific (from spruce) units.  One is medium-small and I got a bracket and it sits between the two passenger seats in the back - and I have long arms so I can reach it from the front - plus clearly anyone in the back can see it.

And I have a small one that clips onto the seat adjust bar on my pilot seat near the ground behind my feet.

And I have a smoke hood - I am not sure what that's good for - but I was imagining what if....what if an electrical fire or something makes lots of smoke and I don't want to be gasping for air and blinking to see.keep my eyes open just in case.  That sits on the ground behind the pilot seat - long arms again.

I also keep a small O2 bottle - one of those 10 minute mini jobs - heck I figure to use that - what if there is a carbon monoxide incident?  Sits next to the smoke hood.

I'm trying to maintain the airplane in a manner that all that stuff will go stale before I ever get a chance to try them out - and I will need to replace them because they are old.

• Like 2

I actually canceled the order for that fire extinguisher and decided to get the one @kortopates uses. 

But on those others, the only difference between the two were the finish. One was chrome and the other red. The red one is $40 less than the chrome one. Otherwise, no difference.

• Like 1

On 9/4/2019 at 7:02 PM, 1964-M20E said:

right, wrong, good, bad mine sits on the back seat.  I guess I could mount it on the floor just in front of the back seat.

That’s where mine is, mounted with a bracket, almost completely under the two rear seats, just above the spar.  It’s an ‘82 J... and I know the interior isn’t original... but the plastic that has the cutout *looks* like it’s designed specifically for that spot.  

Im wondering if maybe the previous owner got the back seat fire extinguisher cut out panel from a long body, or a later model, maybe?  It could also be custom.  Next time I’m at the plane I’ll take a picture if anyone is interested.  Either way, the extinguisher stows cleanly about half way into the bulkhead in a little cutout with a C-clip holding it in.

• Like 1

...come on guys - sometimes you just want to really get the aviation specific product.  Cheap fire extinguishers?  Really?  Do you want to be the guy with a fire in the cockpit and you have the $40 cheaper fire extinguisher that leaves you unable to breath?
As I said - I have two - aviation specific (from spruce) units.  One is medium-small and I got a bracket and it sits between the two passenger seats in the back - and I have long arms so I can reach it from the front - plus clearly anyone in the back can see it.
And I have a small one that clips onto the seat adjust bar on my pilot seat near the ground behind my feet.
And I have a smoke hood - I am not sure what that's good for - but I was imagining what if....what if an electrical fire or something makes lots of smoke and I don't want to be gasping for air and blinking to see.keep my eyes open just in case.  That sits on the ground behind the pilot seat - long arms again.
I also keep a small O2 bottle - one of those 10 minute mini jobs - heck I figure to use that - what if there is a carbon monoxide incident?  Sits next to the smoke hood.
I'm trying to maintain the airplane in a manner that all that stuff will go stale before I ever get a chance to try them out - and I will need to replace them because they are old.

I think the same way you do when it comes to the safety gear. Anyone who has ever done fire fighting will tell you if the fire doesn’t get you, the smoke will. Most house fire deaths typically involve a level of smoke inhalation that either resulted in incapacitation followed by death by fire or by the smoke inhalation itself.

Even if a fire has been contained, the amount of residual acrid fumes from smoldering materials will leave you teary-eyed at best or having you hacking up a lung.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 9/4/2019 at 8:51 PM, philiplane said:

A344T Halon extinguisher. Fits in several different places up front, or in below the back seats on the spar cover, where the pilot can reach it.

The Acclaim I have has an H3R A1200 which was installed from new in need of replacement. Will the A344T fit in the spot?

1 hour ago, LANCECASPER said:

The Acclaim I have has an H3R A1200 which was installed from new in need of replacement. Will the A344T fit in the spot?

Yes, but it’s a bit smaller in overall dimensions.

Clarence

On 9/5/2019 at 2:17 PM, MoonFlyer68 said:

I posted this link in another thread.  It seems like a really cool idea.  Says it is non-toxic and not corrosive.  The only real drawback I see is once you start it you can't stop it. 

https://elementfire.com/

In addition to a (very old, probably empty, unknown type, soon to be checked thanks to this thread) fire extinguisher on the floor between the back seats, I have one of these element extinguishers in the outside pocket of my flight bag (next to my handheld radio).   Our local pilots club scheduled a "fire extinguisher analysis and demo" with a local firefighter and I donated one of these, but the seminar got quashed due to Covid.   Hopefully, we can reschedule it soon and I'll learn more about it.

image.png.4b9d94f30a21849d6b7e169069fc0212.png

• Like 1

On 9/7/2019 at 6:41 AM, M20Doc said:

For those with unsecured fire extinguishers, would it be ironic to survive an off airport landing only to be killed by the fire extinguisher?  

Clarence

Or, you reach for it, and it is not where you put it due to the crash or even turbulence.

One HUGE issue with odium bicarb is that it is hydroscopic and attracts and holds moisture, leading to corrosion.   And it gets EVERYWHERE.  A VERY fine powder.

• Like 1

On 9/7/2019 at 3:41 AM, M20Doc said:

For those with unsecured fire extinguishers, would it be ironic to survive an off airport landing only to be killed by the fire extinguisher?  

Clarence

A4F942E6-E765-4105-B934-268A21AA6834.jpeg

Anyone ever try to get that thing out of there in a hurry from the pilot's seat? What were they thinking?