Ugh... Random Engine arythmia (rocket)

Austintatious

Selecting one failure mode over another... with respect to prop angle...

a large number of manufacturers have selected failing to a small angle... allowing the prop to generate near maximum thrust until the engine stops producing power...

It seems that the loss of thrust during T/O seems to be the most dangerous and common type of prop/gov/engine failures...

Being stuck with a crummy glide ratio 10 miles away is bad... but losing prop control, and have it feather 500’ above the ground would be... sub-optimal... 

Think through all of the opportunities if you get to change out the full feathering prop for a more standard failure mode...

I have only one prop/gov failure in my Mooney experience... the prop failed to cycle during the run-up and the prop wanted to set itself on the stops...  from my endless aged M20C experience...

There are many advantages of the new PCU govs... 

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

8 hours ago, Austintatious said:

ohh, there is no way I will allow that prop governor to be put back in my aircraft. 

I have an extremely low tolerance for parts that try to kill me.   As I said to one of the folks that spent a year bringing their plane back up to speed.   "You now have a plane that all the systems have been gone through so you know it is a good plane"  

Keep moving slowly and carefully and soon you will have a good plane to.