Heat and Air

My M20E heat is doing strange things, like leaking a little heat when I slow down.  This has prompted to me to consider IRANing the heater valve, but it got me to looking at the whole heat and ventilation situation. 

So, a couple of questions.  What should I have on hand when disassembling the heat valve on the firewall?  Any kind of seals, washers, etc.  I'm hoping to do it in one sitting rather than having the plane down while I go order/find stuff.

Here are the threads I can find:

In the winter, I get plenty of heat, but I'm thinking of an eyeball vent on the Pilot's side output to be more effective in redirecting to CoPilot's side, and visa versa.  Maybe slit the outlet aluminum tube and hose clamp in a valve.  Anyone done this?

I have an eyeball vent on the Pilot's side in the side scoop which is fairly effective.  Unfortunately, probably due to the cheek vents associated with my turbo system, it seems the incoming air is a bit warmer than outside ambient.  Anyone add another of these valves on the copilot's side?

The overhead vent is pretty effective, but I hear that converting to eyeball vents improves the air distribution, and maybe a manifold helps airflow to the front two?

Seems like CoPilot windows are available, maybe with a scoop.  My glass is pretty new so it seems a shame.

One last thought is to add a giant fan in the back of the hat rack blowing inboard, based on a similar practice in Twin Bonanzas.  Could even have it draw air through a water tray to create a swamp cooler.  Thoughts?

Just looking for best practice and tricks for sorting out these systems.

Find your slide valves... clean and lubricate their slides and controls... this lasts about a year...

Then decide what is needed next...

Check the copilot’s valve to see if it is working or broken...

Then See if the hoses to the back are new or ancient, broken or missing...

Best regards,

-a-

Mine had a finicky butterfly valve that was pretty easy to adjust with basic tools and no parts.  Open up the air / heat mixing box attached to the firewall on copilot side and see what you’re dealing with.  

You either have slide or butterfly valve.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Follow the control cables... clean and lubricate... very simple system...
keep looking in the MM.  it’s all in there...?
Best regards,
-a-

What do you use to lubricate? I’ve noticed after getting mine back from avionics shop that lots of warm air is coming in. I found at least one hose for fresh air at copilots side detached - which I reattached.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, BigD said:

What do you use to lubricate? I’ve noticed after getting mine back from avionics shop that lots of warm air is coming in. I found at least one hose for fresh air at copilots side detached - which I reattached.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D,

My memory for the deep detail isn’t what it used to be... :)

The last time I lubed anything in the M20C was a decade ago...

The Maintenance Manual lists the proper lubes for control cables...

A search will uncover lists of lubes and their use around here...

If that doesn’t work, we can always ask Clarence...

Best regards,

-a-