Is this a oil cooler restrictor plate?

As one would expect, since having my EDM-900 installed I've been getting more fidelity on  my engine data.  In this case I've noted that my oil temp seems to be running a bit high, especially when flying down South in Mississippi, Alabama, Tennessee and Georgia.  Specifically my oil temps have been at the higher end of the oil temp green arc and on warm days range from 218F - 223F.  I came back from flying today and recalled that I noted during my last oil change that the oil cooler may have a block off plate installed.  I popped the side panel off and noted the attached picture below.  The question is is that a plate normal for all installations or does it serve as a oil cooler restrictor plate?  The plates I've seen in the experimental world are installed right on the oil cooler limiting the amount of surface area that is being actively cooler...this one seems like a home brew hobby replacement...

]499003974_Mooneyoilcooler.thumb.jpg.4e82015b1a8c57124098ccfdf994ba7a.jpg

It’s actually is factory. Many are lost or not installed correctly. It actually helps air not back flow through the back of the cooler. That’s why there is an STC to relocate it to the back of the engine. High pressure air can flow through the back of the cooler from the top of the engine. The plate keeps the air moving down and aft. 

Still a poor design, but if removed, I fear your oil temp would be worse. Feel free to try it. Ours was missing for years and I never did flight tests before and after. Now with your -900 you can get some data points. 

Personally I would like to duct the exit to the left cowl cheek panel, however I did the math and the exit area to work would be larger than a 3 in hose.... there’s not room for a 3in hose currently. 

-Matt

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Brian E. said:

As one would expect, since having my EDM-900 installed I've been getting more fidelity on  my engine data.  In this case I've noted that my oil temp seems to be running a bit high, especially when flying down South in Mississippi, Alabama, Tennessee and Georgia.  Specifically my oil temps have been at the higher end of the oil temp green arc and on warm days range from 218F - 223F.  I came back from flying today and recalled that I noted during my last oil change that the oil cooler may have a block off plate installed.  I popped the side panel off and noted the attached picture below.  The question is is that a plate normal for all installations or does it serve as a oil cooler restrictor plate?  The plates I've seen in the experimental world are installed right on the oil cooler limiting the amount of surface area that is being actively cooler...this one seems like a home brew hobby replacement...

Assuming that the oil temp probe for the EDM is installed in the oil filter adapter or oil screen housing?  If so I’d be looking at the oil vernatherm valve and it’s seat, and the oil cooler.

Clarence

I would look at the vernatherm first, as others suggested.  Is the cooler equally warm (top to bottom) after you land?  If cold, you may not have flow there.  There is a chance it needs to be flushed, but I think that is rare.  If you open cowl flaps does it cool down?  That might hint at a cooler or airflow issue vs vernatherm.  As a side note, there is a Mooney SB regarding this.  Beyond the radiant heating from your exhaust tot he cooler, apparently one benefit of this on the C is to keep the front exhaust pipe from cracking due to local cooling.  Not sure how effective as the E never got one, but the pipe is further away. 

• Like 1

There are some normal procedures to follow first before goofing on to the-design things...

1) Plates that are designed to block flow are right next to the fins... not three inches behind them...

2) if you look closely... everything under the cowl looks like a home made system...

Suggestion... look in the manuals for what these things are supposed to look like... what is recommended to clean them...

The outside can be cleaned... any dirt in the fins can really keep things from working...

Any sludge in the oil cooler can keep oil from flowing through it...

The vernatherm is the control valve... there is a way to check it’s operation...

Zif you are a high tech guy you can use an IR thermometer to measure how well things are working...

The oil cooler can be sent out for OH... but that only makes sense if there is a specific reason that it isn’t working...

Could he hoses involved with the challenge...

If the oilT is in the green arc... what makes the oil cooler worth changing?

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

On 9/1/2019 at 6:57 PM, Brian E. said:

Where is that scat hose running to/from? I only ask because when I bought my D I had a scat hose running in a similar area as that. Someone had hooked it up to the little vent under the prop which is supposed to go to the generator and instead had it going to the outlet for the carb heat bypass valve.

1 minute ago, carusoam said:

There should be two hose...

1) generator cooling hose... not used for an alternator with its own fan...

2) excess carb heat drain... goes overboard at the other end... often missing for some reason...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

Yes, but #1 does not run down there, and #2 was not on most C's. Some have added it to their plane so it dumps out the left cowl flap, myself included. However you wouldn't be able to see it in that picture, it would be off to the right of what you are looking at. I am wondering if he doesn't have a hose running where it shouldn't.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Skates97 said:

Where is that scat hose running to/from? I only ask because when I bought my D I had a scat hose running in a similar area as that. Someone had hooked it up to the little vent under the prop which is supposed to go to the generator and instead had it going to the outlet for the carb heat bypass valve.

When I have had to use shops not completely familiar with Mooney, they seem to do this.  In fact they will go out of their way to re-route that tubing into the carb heat outlet.  Tough to force the air forward when cold ram air is trying to come in.  They see a hole and figure something must attach to it.  Something does but not that hose.

• 1 month later...

FYI...I see pics of properly installed oil coolers here - according to the Mooney parts manual, or improperly installed-according to Pacific oil cooler. They refused my cracked 40 hr oil cooler for warranty because they said I had improperly installed it without "pinch tubes and long bolts that span all the way across to both sides of the mount channel." I told them it was mounted per the manual, and we went back and forth a little bit about it, and in the end they took care of me. Point of the story is... they have a point, minor hardware change here may save some cracked oil coolers.

• Like 1