Women Pilots ;-)

I'm glad Ms Rose wasn't flying a Mooney. A very colorful woman, I'm sure!

Two F-16's intercepted a plane flown by a 75-year-old woman when it entered restricted airspace during President Barack Obama’s visit to Chicago.

Restricted airspace: A Kitfox Model 2 being flown by Myrtle Rose was intercepted by two F-16 fighter jets during Barack Obama's visit to Chicago (file picture)

The North American Aerospace Defense Command (Norad) confirms that the jets were scrambled this Wednesday afternoon, and intercepted Myrtle Rose’s Kitfox Model 2 after she had taken off from Mill Rose Farm Airport. Police said the South Barrington woman was flying the plane by herself and wasn’t aware she was in restricted airspace. They say she didn’t seem shaken, but was surprised. Air Traffic Controllers couldn't contact her because she didn't have a radio!

Once back on the ground at Mill Rose Farm Airport, Ms Rose met with local authorities, and the FAA is investigating.

Return to land: Ms Rose had taken off from the tiny Mill Rose Farm Airport, which is a green landing field (centre) in the middle of an Illinois residential area

Ms Rose had taken off from the tiny Mill Rose Farm Airport, which is a green landing field (center) in the middle of an Illinois residential area. South Barrington is a northwestern Chicago suburb with about 4,500 residents. Obama was in Chicago for a birthday fundraiser, for which I bet a number of those nasty private jets flew in. Wink

Two F-16s seems like overkill to intercept a single sub-100 knot target . . .

Kitfox! Thought about building one years ago, then decided I would never put in 2000 hours of work. One issue of Kitbuilder magazine convinced me.

Guess Ms. Rose, a dangerous threat to society, did not either call for a briefing, watch the news or, worst of all, file a flight plan!

When is the madness ever going to stop? Although I'm relieved to hear it - but don't think anything will come of it - the AOPA announced that they are going to try and work with the Fed's to put some reasonableness into the TSA's that are issued whenever the president travels. AF One is down here often, sometimes for a few days, and when that happens just about every GA plane within 30 miles is grounded the entire time. What kind of crap is that?