Fluctuating EGT

Hello all was flying down to Memphis and cylinder 6 was all over the place for a few minutes on EGT but engine remained smoothed I leaned it aggressively and it stopped fluctuating. Cylinder head temp also remained smooth.

Do you think I wasn't leaned aggressively enough? I was at 13,500 or is the probe likely going bad ?

Or is this something I need to be worried about.

Power settings 30.0 mp/ 2400 RPM 1560 TIT 13,500 altitude.

After a few minutes EGT settled in at 1460

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blake,

putting a few ideas together...

1) Ross mentioned a way to have raw fuel get to the EGT sensor...

2) Rich mentioned, if a spark plug stops working... raw fuel continues past the exhaust valve while burning...

3) If you have Champion spark plugs... you now want to measure their resistance... check the logs to see what plugs are in there...

4) have your mechanic measure the resistance, if unable.

5) You have enough data to check the #6 plugs...

6) doing a run-up May verify which plug it is that is misbehaving...

7) reviewing older flight’s data may also reveal the plug that may be going away... 

8) plugs typically take a long time to get really bad....

9) there are a couple of failure mechanisms for various plug types... worn or broken.

10) Even the good plugs have shown a quirky failure around here, a few times.

PP thoughts only... not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

You most likely had a fouled plug. It was intermittently misfiring. It is only one of two in the cylinder, so you didn't notice the difference. It may take care of itself, Cleaning is always a good idea.

That was what my initial thought was as I tend to run a little rich. I just wanted to put this out there and make sure I wasn’t missing anything.

Blake,
putting a few ideas together...
1) Ross mentioned a way to have raw fuel get to the EGT sensor...
2) Rich mentioned, if a spark plug stops working... raw fuel continues past the exhaust valve while burning...
3) If you have Champion spark plugs... you now want to measure their resistance... check the logs to see what plugs are in there...
4) have your mechanic measure the resistance, if unable.
5) You have enough data to check the #6 plugs...
6) doing a run-up May verify which plug it is that is misbehaving...
7) reviewing older flight’s data may also reveal the plug that may be going away... 
8) plugs typically take a long time to get really bad....
9) there are a couple of failure mechanisms for various plug types... worn or broken.
10) Even the good plugs have shown a quirky failure around here, a few times.
PP thoughts only... not a mechanic...
Best regards,
-a-

Awesome thank you very much. This site is unbelievably valuable even for small issues. Thank you all, I’ll lean hard and run a mag check and then have mechanic check plugs

• Like 1

Anything listed above or possibly a worn exhaust valve guide and the valve not seating consistently.  If this is the case, it will get worse.  Eventually the face of the valve will break and you will definitely notice rough running.

Ok thanks, annual is in 3 weeks. Get the plugs checked first and maybe have them take a closer look.

8 minutes ago, blakealbers said:

Ok thanks, annual is in 3 weeks. Get the plugs checked first and maybe have them take a closer look.

Suggestion from a fellow PP / Bravo owner:  Insist on a Borescope inspection of the valves and cylinder walls during the annual.  Compression tests are not conclusive for all cylinder related issues.  

Start with the simple and work to the difficult.  The fact that the engine ran smoothly suggests something simple like loose connections on the EGT probe or a failing probe.  Then look at the other suggestions.

Clarence