Canadian Mooneyforce

201er

2 hours ago, 201er said:

Dinner with Yves and Ned, the royal Canadian Mooneyforce. Flying out formation aerocamping in the deep Canadian wilderness with Yves when the weather improves.

Looks like a good time! Glad to hear you are going back next July.  :D   :rolleyes:

They are planning to go to Casey, a disused operating base used during the 50s and 60s for CF101 Voodoos and support aircraft as part of our NORAD commitment - specifically the Mid-Continent radar system called the Pinetree line. 

One of the Communications Squadrons I commanded provided the Comm Det to one of these Pinetree sites and Canadian Forces Base Bagotville (home of two F18 squadrons) during the 80's.

Casey's runway is still there and is the object of an annual fly in from pilots across Quebec and Eastern Ontario.  See video below for a recent look at its condition.

It is somewhat like the annual pilgrimage in winter to Alton Bay, New Hampshire with a couple of exceptions (beyond the difference in seasons).  There is no telephone reception at all near Casey.  Since "prior preparation and planning prevents p___-poor performance," I have yet to go with Yves for the corn roast they host and the overnight camping.   

For those of you who met Patrick (he flew with Yves in the this year's Caravan), you may not also know that he is one of the organisers of this annual event.

At any rate, I am off to Bangkok in a few hours and was going to miss this year's Casey trip anyway.

Good luke to Yves, Dianne, Mike, Mariane, and Anna.  Fly Safe folks.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, carusoam said:

I almost remember everyone in the pic and the early discussion of the trip@Kosh!

Is Patrick taking the pic? 

:)

Best regards,

-a-

Nope.  One of Yves' and Dianne's daughters took the picture (on Mike's camera of course).

• Like 1