New (to me) Ovation via All American Aviation

Forced_Inducer

Hey MS,

I've been lurking and did most of my pre-buy research through MooneySpace; figured it's time to join up and contribute. 

Earlier this month I closed on a smokin' hot '95 Ovation with the 310HP STC. This is my second plane, and first retract. Working with Jimmy Garrison at All American Aviation, Rob Fisher at Kestrel Airpark for the PBI and Annual, and Bob Cabe for my transition training, I've been punching holes in the air and really enjoying the Mooney lifestyle. 

When I was originally researching aircraft, brokers, and "oh-no" potential pitfalls, I came across some negativity surrounding AAA, and I feel compelled to share my experience.

Starting with meeting the owner(s) at the time, taking a test flight, making an offer, getting an agreement in place, transfer of funds, closing, transition training, and ultimately, flying my Mooney home, this experience was great through and through. Jimmy kept on top of all communication (within reason), and that's saying something from me. When I say "GO" I mean it, and it needs to be right now :D

Jimmy kept everything moving forward at a steady pace, was very straightforward with the aircraft, the price, closing dates and availability of an IA/shop for the PBI/Annual. Everything went about as smoothly as I could have hoped for. No last minute surprises, no bickering or issues. Jimmy may not win the Customer Service Voice and Velvet Hand of the Year award, but the man does what he says he will. Really grateful for the help through the process.

Ron Fisher had a little negative posting here about a window (?) or something that an owner took issue with. I wasn't there, don't know the circumstances, and I'm not commenting on that specific situation outside of it seeming very out of character from the team I met and worked with at Fisher's shop. I flew in for the PBI/Annual, so I could get down and see everything. I ask a lot of questions, and Fisher was more than generous in explaining everything from stem to stern. For the better part of a day we went through the whole aircraft, with Fisher explaining the processes and systems, what they look for, what looks good, what looks bad. I consider that half-day to be one of the more informative experiences I've had on aircraft. The annual/PBI cost was very fair, and given that I saw most of the work being done, I'm very confident in the aircraft (plus a few trips from FL<>CO, one non-stop :D ) Ron Fisher is a great IA and source of knowledge.

Transition training with Bob Cabe was a real treat. From my perspective, transition training can be difficult from a pride/ego standpoint. As a self-proclaimed proficient pilot, it can be tough to let your mind open back up to that infancy approach to learning. Bob is a great instructor, and took the time to teach me every system on the aircraft, every procedure, sight-picture, emergency ops, and just general Mooney tricks. My insurance required 15 hours, and Bob was a real soldier about it - finished up in 3 days, including stops at some of the best BBQ I've ever had at Lloyd's. If you find yourself in a position to receive your transition training from Bob, you'd be well served to seek him out. 

The motor is making a little metal, lots of analysis on-going, and overall the things just likes to run. 170KTAS at 13 GPH, CHT's around 320 and EGT flirting 14-14.5. If anyone has any advice/information for an IO-550 newbie, send away!

Really enjoying the aircraft, and now my travel buddy has a whole row to himself. 

Thanks to all of y'all's informative posts over the years that I've used to inform and decide on this aircraft. Looking forward to a lot of good years in this bird!

IMG-7286.JPG

• Like 3

I'm no aircraft mechanic, so this is owner experience and nothing more. I own a 1996 ovation/ IO 550 G 280hp. I had a starter adapter that just had barely started acting up. Symptoms are when the prop doesn't turn immediately when the starter is energized. Didnt always slip just once in a awhile I did some research into it and the starter adapter on a tcm 550 seems to be prone to failure when paired with a planetary drive starter like the iskra that is OEM on this ovation I have. I was told that the starter adapter must be able to backspin freely once the starter is disengaged and the planetary drive starters dont seem to let this happen freely enough to keep the adapter happy so I replaced it and the starter as well. As recommended I replaced the iskra with a presto lite also was told the Energizer was a good one as well. If the adapter isn't able to backspin freely it will make metal as well as do other nasty things. Just something you might ought read up on. Could be your source of the metal may not be but I would look into it. Have fun with your "O" awesome birds!

Edited by triple8s
Spell
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Danb said:

Beautiful dog, I usually praise planes but he looks like a best friend

unnamed.thumb.jpg.a8fc23a94b45eb41725e3808c372a062.jpg

One more for y'all.

15 hours ago, carusoam said:

Nice Pirep, F_I!

Keeping your traveling partner well grounded...

He looks pretty happy!

Looks like he has his shoulder harness on. :)

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

20 hours ago, triple8s said:

I'm no aircraft mechanic, so this is owner experience and nothing more. I own a 1996 ovation/ IO 550 G 280hp. I had a starter adapter that just had barely started acting up. Symptoms are when the prop doesn't turn immediately when the starter is energized. Didnt always slip just once in a awhile I did some research into it and the starter adapter on a tcm 550 seems to be prone to failure when paired with a planetary drive starter like the iskra that is OEM on this ovation I have. I was told that the starter adapter must be able to backspin freely once the starter is disengaged and the planetary drive starters dont seem to let this happen freely enough to keep the adapter happy so I replaced it and the starter as well. As recommended I replaced the iskra with a presto lite also was told the Energizer was a good one as well. If the adapter isn't able to backspin freely it will make metal as well as do other nasty things. Just something you might ought read up on. Could be your source of the metal may not be but I would look into it. Have fun with your "O" awesome birds!

Appreciate it!