Dancing FD

My Flight Director does this occasional dance when active.  There is no effect on the autopilot or the underlying King AI.  Just the FD dancing away on it own.  I had the avionics shop look at the connections and all were solid and secure.  The AI is pretty solid and the autopilot has no issues whatsoever so I tend to think it's localized to the actual FD mechanism itself which is translating the commands - not the other way around.  Any idea what could cause this behavior? 

I had this exact problem (KFC 200 in my 81J). I believe there might be a thread here.  When my KI256 was overhauled I squawked this. When it came back it worked fine for  several months then started it again.  ~6 months ago my AP went inop. Jake at Bevan Aviation made some repairs to the computer and the pitch servo.  No jittery FD bars since and everything works great.  Might give Jake a call.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, mooneyflyfast said:

I had this exact problem (KFC 200 in my 81J). I believe there might be a thread here.  When my KI256 was overhauled I squawked this. When it came back it worked fine for  several months then started it again.  ~6 months ago my AP went inop. Jake at Bevan Aviation made some repairs to the computer and the pitch servo.  No jittery FD bars since and everything works great.  Might give Jake a call.

Thank you.  I will.

2 hours ago, Jake@BevanAviation said:

Seen it happen before in a JetPROP with a KFC 150 system.  Turned out to be something wrong with the pitch servo.  The aircraft flew fine the bars would just bounce all the time for pitch. Swapped the pitch servo out and the problem went away.

That sounds like my issue.  Plane flies just fine - FD just dances around with no effect on flight.