Most Overpriced part or service. Not necessarily most expensive

RogueOne

So having been a pilot and single engine airplane owner what is the most overpriced item you ever purchased?  I think I bought my overpriced “leader” to date this week.  The Missile has a lot going on underneath and the oil drain hits “stuff” without an adapter.  I called Rocket Engineering and Patrick did not stock “the tool”, but found one.  It was $187 COD.  With shipping was $215 bucks.  What did I get?  A 12” piece of small diameter aluminum tube with a male adapter for a quick drain plug.  There is a slight bend in the tube.  Seriously this thing is like .50 cents worth of aluminum with a couple prongs and a flange riveted to the bottom...Sigh.  Drain plug NOT included :(

What’s your “Gotta have it at any price” item?

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, RogueOne said:

So having been a pilot and single engine airplane owner what is the most overpriced item you ever purchased?  I think I bought my overpriced “leader” to date this week.  The Missile has a lot going on underneath and the oil drain hits “stuff” without an adapter.  I called Rocket Engineering and Patrick did not stock “the tool”, but found one.  It was $187 COD.  With shipping was $215 bucks.  What did I get?  A 12” piece of small diameter aluminum tube with a male adapter for a quick drain plug.  There is a slight bend in the tube.  Seriously this thing is like .50 cents worth of aluminum with a couple prongs and a flange riveted to the bottom...Sigh.  Drain plug NOT included :(

What’s your “Gotta have it at any price” item?

Do you have a picture of the drain tube?

Clarence

26 minutes ago, MooneyMitch said:

What?   Your hangar pixie elf couldn’t make one ?   Seems the elf is quite creative and can create all sorts of item!  :D

I rigged one for testing with paper clips and ordinary fuses, but the originals are pretty specialized.

6 minutes ago, Timbot said:

I can't believe that no one has mentioned yet the Mooney SB M20-282-A undercarriage no back spring cost. North of $1k last time I checked.

little more than that. a great memory from this years annual

Capture2.JPG

• Thanks 1

Ok Scott, I’m a fan of you and your posts, but think about it ..... you are still getting service from a company that hasn’t produced your conversion in, what, 15-20 years?   As a business owner, that’s still something that deserves a “little “ appreciation.  

Next time post on the forum your request. Some dumb sh*t like me might have pictures or a spare they can supply for less money.  (Coming from a guy flying a Lancair 15 years out of production and appreciating ANY support from the OEM).  

Tom

• Like 4

1 hour ago, alextstone said:

I was quoted $670 from Mooney for the plastic annunciator panel lens for my Bravo.  I passed.

A couple of annuals ago I had my Annunciator panel sent out to the OEM for overhaul. They still are in business and their work was relatively reasonably priced. If you need the info on the company let me know and I’ll look it up for you 

• Like 1

Expanding on what Yooper said I’m always amazed how much longer it takes me to service/support/produce something that is older than current mindset/tooling/inventory.  There is no profit margin for these items even when the end user feels like they’re being taken for a ride. 

• Like 3

Pick an AD... Any AD...

1) Huck bolts are expensive... to replace them requires taking the tail hinge off the fuselage...

Fortunately, Mooneys are built with great part number control and documentation... (LB issue)

2) Cam gears are expensive... to replace them requires gaining access to the cam

Fortunately, Continentals are built with great part number control and documentation... (IO550 issue)

3) Aluminum gear in the oil gear pump... sure, that is low cost part hiding behind a cover on the back of an O360...

Nothing feels like the relief you get when your S/N is NOT on the list...  :)

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1