Any reviews on Trig TY96/TY96A or Icom A220T?

Our BK Ky197 is in the shop with display problems.  Might possibly have made its last flight.  I can only find two Comm radios that are the same height: Icom IC A220T and the Trig TY96/TY96A.  Their KY97 version is 24 volt which I don't have.

If we have to replace the KY197 I'm leaning toward the Trig but I can't find any reviews on line.  I've found a couple on the Icom and they are generally not very good.  Also, reading the manual, the Icom interface seems pretty complex/clunky, but to use if for just manually turning frequencies it would probably be fine.  However, I don't want a radio that is poor quality and prone to needing repairs.

Anybody here flying with these radios care to let us know how they are working?

I installed an ICOM A210 a few years ago in mine (the non-TSO version, before they got the TSO stuff worked out).

It's been a solid radio and I use it probably 90% of my flights (100% if I'm staying local).  It seems to have very goood range and clarity.

No complaints other than the dimming.  On "automatic" dimming, the display is not very bright.  I rarely fly at night, so I just leave it at full bright and it's been great.  Not sure if they've fixed that for the 220, but I sent mine in for service and it came back exactly the same as it was, like they didn't know what I was trying to describe to them as the problem.

2 hours ago, Andy95W said:

I installed an ICOM A210 a few years ago in mine (the non-TSO version, before they got the TSO stuff worked out).

It's been a solid radio and I use it probably 90% of my flights (100% if I'm staying local).  It seems to have very goood range and clarity.

No complaints other than the dimming.  On "automatic" dimming, the display is not very bright.  I rarely fly at night, so I just leave it at full bright and it's been great.  Not sure if they've fixed that for the 220, but I sent mine in for service and it came back exactly the same as it was, like they didn't know what I was trying to describe to them as the problem.

Thanks for the report.

A, for the sake of correct terminology - a transformer will not help with direct current (DC) - they only work on AC.  DC can be changed, of course, but I'm not sure it's worth the effort.

FWIW Trig do have a good reputation this side of the pond, although there is not one Trig device in all our club planes, so no direct experience.  Do let us know what you went with.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tmo said:

A, for the sake of correct terminology - a transformer will not help with direct current (DC) - they only work on AC.  DC can be changed, of course, but I'm not sure it's worth the effort.

FWIW Trig do have a good reputation this side of the pond, although there is not one Trig device in all our club planes, so no direct experience.  Do let us know what you went with.

Wilco.  The shop won't get a chance to look at it until Tuesday so we should know the diagnosis my mid next week.

I’ve had better experiences with the Trig. It’s a solid radio. The A210 was a design disaster with the need to remove the faceplate to access the tray removal screw. I think the 220 fixed that. The SL40 should be the same height as well. Although it’s not made any more, I think it’s one of the best radios ever made. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Trig is a fantastic company to deal with. I had zero issues with my Mode S transponder for 10 years, recently the button started playing up a little so as I was having an avionics redo I sent it back for a bench test and refurb. All done within a week at a very modest cost, and they threw in a new tray as I was still using the old KT76 tray and wanted extra connector space for ADS B. I also have their small 8.33 remote radio, great piece of kit, also zero issues. 

• Like 1