May have extra $ leftover from rebuild loan - what to do?

How much does it cost to "re-arrange" a panel?

If I just took some of the old stuff out and added a JPI-900 and got a new panel made so I could mount the hand held in the panel that'd be pretty nice. 

Totally new to working with the panel, where do you get the panels made to mount the instruments in different locations and is that in itself labor intensive and super expensive to do or??

Edited by TheLachlan

It all depends if you have enough wiring slack to move stuff around easily, as opposed to making new harnesses.

If I were you, I'd drop the DME, get a smaller suction gauge, and see if you can put the Air Gizmo dock in the right side for your 396 with an EDM-900. The STEC controller might have to move a little.

If you're a DIY guy, stuff like this is a great opportunity for sweat equity. Installing an engine monitor is mostly tedious, but not complicated. You can get a new aluminum panel cut just about anywhere. Aerodon on this site can hook you up...possibly with the EDM as well, and take your 700 in on trade.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, TheLachlan said:

The prop is also getting sent out to be flushed and resealed. The engine had around 1,500hrs.. They've already disassembled it and cleaned it, its in the inspection phase right now.

Along with the propeller governor, new oil cooler and hoses, plus the turbo?  Basically anything with oil in it requires overhaul.

Clarence

1 hour ago, Ned Gravel said:

Yetti is being Yetti.  You can ignore the implied sarcasm and judgement.

If Yetti was being Yetti, I would be suggesting putting in Skyview  since it does not look like ADSB has been solved either.    It does appear that the old skool oil temp gauge gave the warning.   You do realize my paycheck relies on moving companies from preventive to predictive maintenance based on instrumentation and data..   If we were doing it right, the HMI would tell you "Hey dummy you are fixin to fry your engine,  Please land NOW"

Small dollars...

1) Spend some of the dough on IFR training with all the fancy equipment on the panel already...

2) Get one of those electric steps... important if you are going vac free...

3) a second attitude indicator to replace the TC...

4) fly with other IR pilots to get a feel for what updates may make sense for you...

PP thoughts only, not a CFII...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

I’m going to suggest TIT and IAT (intake air temp) sensors for your jpi 700.  If your system does not have a separate oil filter for the turbo I’d have that iran’d as well. If the com is the only problem with the 155 find a unit with a bad display and have have the parts swapped. 

Nice looking plane!

16 hours ago, TheLachlan said:

https://sarasotaavionics.com/avionics/edm730-upgrade

Those of you who said something about engine monitors.. Would you just stick with my JPI-700 or upgrade to the link since I get a core discount for my 700 or go to the aforementioned ones?

NO, I would not stay with the 700 upgrade to the 700 with the TIT.  I also have a F model with the RayJay Turbo.

2 hours ago, wcb said:

NO, I would not stay with the 700 upgrade to the 700 with the TIT.  I also have a F model with the RayJay Turbo.

How do you like the turbo system and how often and how do you use it usually?

If you upgrade to the 730 (which I think is a great idea, easier to read all parameters in real time) you might want to wait for the rebates that come 3-4 times per year. Also the basic 730 system is only $300 ish more than the upgrade and you’ll get all new sensors and have an extra old/new one you can use for the TIT. 

3 hours ago, TheLachlan said:

How do you like the turbo system and how often and how do you use it usually?

Love the Turbo and cannot see not having either turbo or turbo normalized again.  I use it anytime I am above 5k and use it on most real flights (most of my mission is around 2 to 4 hours).

20 minutes ago, wcb said:

Love the Turbo and cannot see not having either turbo or turbo normalized again.  I use it anytime I am above 5k and use it on most real flights (most of my mission is around 2 to 4 hours).

What MP and RPM do you run it at with the turbo on? Also what kind of increases in performance do you notice at different altitudes? I had not used mine much yet.

Be very cautious about accepting any engine management advice from CFIs who are not 1) type specific 2) experienced in your particular power plant 3) aren’t stuck in 1970s engine management theory. 

You want to monitor your engine and your turbo setup.  

The best way these days is with a certified engine monitor.   Call the JPI folks .  Contrary to popular belief there are some parts of 700 that can be reused in a 900 upgrade but you need to give JPI your current part numbers and they can build a custom kit  

You need to have another AI.  SD kills pilots. 

You might want to consider optimizing your fuel measurement - either 900 or a set of cies senders will get you accurate.  Fuel mismanagement continues to plaque GA pilots.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The CFI I was using was a young guy but with many hours, and no he was not Mooney specific. I cant blame him for me going along with the assumption though, its my plane and I should have had the clarity to get that checked out right away. I like the idea of doing a JPI 900 and dual G5's, that would clean up the panel tremendously. I will wait to hear back from inspection though first and see what the engine verdict is. The turbo was sent away too as well as the prop. I will probably end up taking the plastics out and either painting or wrapping them myself, and replacing carpet with a SCS kit with the stiff side panels. If there is quite abit left over besides that I'm still torn.. dual G5's saves money on the engine rebuild... JPI 900 is less expensive but does not have the added benefit of getting rid of vacuum.. Would love to be able to rearrange the panel to be able to mount the 396 in the panel as well. Also not sure how long we will keep this plane, I'm thinking at least 1-2 years but not sure beyond that, may want to upgrade at that point but I really a hard time knowing because we have not started to fly as a family yet, wife and what will be a 2 and 3 yr old.

Scenario: I only keep it a year or 2 and put about 300hrs on during that time before I upgrade to a different plane. Would you still mess with the avionics at all or leave it be?

On 8/28/2019 at 7:10 PM, M20Doc said:

Which parts of your engine failed to fill your filter with so many slivers?

Clarence

my bet its the usual suspect, the tappets with part numbers from the cam to be found in the suction screen. They are such a high quality part....

First step, is it ferrous?  If its aluminum, it may be a piston pin plug. 

Also, pull the prop governor. If the screen on the gasket is clean, then the filter likely stopped it. If the screen has metal, that has gone through the oil pump and bearings.

Edited by jetdriven