Nevada accident

From Joey - the pilot posted on FB.

Still processing all of this, but I want to ensure everyone that we are OK... no surgeries or operations required... the last of us being released today and heading back to the playa. No one was in critical condition nor were they ever. I was PIC, my co-pilot was a commercial ASEL, my girlfriend behind me. Landing checklist completed, the engine died as we rolled out final for runway 26 over the lake. We had very little time to run the emergency checklist. Cars in both directions on the road and a blind corner with potentially more cars coming around.

I didn’t see the fence. I had to turn back onto a southern heading to avoid crashing into the hill and at that point my eyes were glued to the airspeed indicator... I was so worried about my increased stall speed through that last turn. Flew it into the crash the best I could with what little experience I have.

Nothing I’m telling you all here I haven’t already told to the NTSB. Much love to the Mooney group and gratitude for your support. -Joey

• Like 6

@gxsrpilot, thanks for reposting. We will hopefully get the cause of the engine failure with the initial report. This highlights that takeoff and landing are critical phases of flight because of the reduced decision-making time a pilot has.

The next time y'all go fly, ask yourself where would you put your plane when you are on climbout, somewhere in cruise, and when you are on approach. Some airfields give you more options than others. Also, if it has been a while, grab a CFI and go fly in your local Class E/G airspace and pick some fields or a runway to practice aimpoint control at idle power. Energy management is critical in engine out scenarios.

Fly Safe,
Safety Forum Mod

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I had a bit a of heart in throat moment when I saw the registration number. I used to own a 1965 C model N78898 - at first I thought it was the same plane. I am glad it was not the same plane. My old plane, 898, has a great steward and is now in New Jersey. 

I am also glad there were no fatalities. I am puzzled that with a registration number 100 later than mine the C is a 1962-1964 instead of a 1965. 

Every tail number number that was applied by the factory is accounted for...

there is a list around here somewhere that has all the details...

The manufacturers would reserve tail numbers in blocks and generally apply them in order of serial number...

The manufacturing process and development activities threw a few curve balls where a S/N or tail number got out of order....

Many of the 65s got a Q at the end... when the number started with N5xxxQ.

PP thoughts only, not a plane manufacturing expert...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1