Transition to ICAO flight plans

This weekend was my first ICAO IFR flight plan.  Due to my lack of understanding the codes, I was entered incorrectly, and they thought I was not /G (or the new equivalent).  Garmin created a spreadsheet that will let you know your settings for a given piece of equipment.  (attached here as an Excel spreadsheet)

WGarmin_ICAO_Flight_Plan.xlsxhen I setup FlyQ with my profile, I thought RNAV1 and RNAV 2 meant a first GPS and a second GPS in the panel, not phases of flight.  :) 

-dan

GEE- 55 years and 20,000 hrs and now I'm Basic Med, VFR DAY ONLY, I carry an InReach and know how to trigger it, ADSB in and out on tablet (in), CO detector and I can fly from N AZ to HOU and never talk to anyone just by looking out the windows!!  And I carry paper charts as a backup.

Some even went clear across the country with paper charts and pilotage. 10 crystals covered the majority of tower frequencies (Superhomer w/ whistle stop tuning). No TCAs (class B for the young'uns), no Cs, Ds, Es. 1/4 the number of MOAs and Restricted areas. 

Ya know- AN RANGE approaches were far easier, maybe even NDBs!!!!!!!!     :-)   dida dida dida dadit dadit dadit

But I guess we're all better off the way it is now. We must be safer. And the glass cockpits really lowered the work load while flying as they said it would. 

• Like 2

Went to the APS seminar in Ada years ago from San Jose in a rented Arrow with dual KX 155s, a transponder, a broken DME, no autopilot, and paper charts. When I arrived, the place was overrun with Cirrus pilots comparing their weather subscriptions, WAAS GPSs and glass panels. They couldn’t believe a little basic airmanship made it possible to find Oklahoma, let alone the little town of Ada, with such basic equipment. 

I like my Aspen, GNS 430W, GTX 345 linked to my iPad. But, it’s good to remember that I don’t need all that. But then, I had an instructor that made me do intersection holds with a single NAV.

Skip

• Like 2

That type of flying is still available to anyone who wants the nostalgia of it. Our friend Brian Lloyd just flew across the country in a Tiger Moth. With a lot of the navigation done by reading the names on the water towers. 

On the other hand, I like that my Mooney allows me to cross great distances, when I want to, in all kinds of weather, and without the feeling of just having completed an epic journey. And since we are in the 21st century, and we have WAAS GPS, autopilots, ADSB traffic and weather, and detailed graphical engine monitors, all of which complement the speed and range of the Mooney so well... why not use them.

When I find that Starduster Too I'm looking for, I'll be fine with a radio, transponder, ASI, Altimeter and Compass.

• Like 1

On 9/8/2019 at 9:34 PM, gsxrpilot said:

When I find that Starduster Too I'm looking for, I'll be fine with a radio, transponder, ASI, Altimeter and Compass.

And your tablet running your favorite EFB, backed up by your cellphone also running the EFB (so you don't feel lost), and your portable ADS-B so you don't feel naked and exposed . . . .   ;)

The new Simple Panel:  needle, ball and tablet.

• Like 2