Johnson Bar Right Seat

On 8/28/2019 at 3:43 AM, midlifeflyer said:

For those who have flown a Johnson Bar Mooney from the right seat, what is your technique for retracting the gear?Ā 

If you're solo:

Take along plenty of band aids, gauze, and maybe some antibiotic ointment. I'm serious..

Ā 

Did my initial CFI in my J-bar E model. I skinned my left knuckles many times working that bar.

I am not sure there is a good way to do it. I could always make it work, but it was clearly designed to be worked from the left seat.

Here's my favorite way, if you have a good "pilot monitoring" in the left seat, command them: "Gear down."

Edited by Immelman

18 hours ago, Immelman said:

If you're solo:

Take along plenty of band aids, gauze, and maybe some antibiotic ointment. I'm serious..

Ā 

Did my initial CFI in my J-bar E model. I skinned my left knuckles many times working that bar.

I am not sure there is a good way to do it. I could always make it work, but it was clearly designed to be worked from the left seat.

Here's my favorite way, if you have a good "pilot monitoring" in the left seat, command them: "Gear down."

:DĀ Ā you mean I should wear my Bonanza gloves?

(Personal joke. Emergency gear extension is a crank and you rub your knuckles repeatedly on the carpet when turning it. I carry gloves in my flight bag when I fly in one.)

Ā 

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I guess I found my right seat technique. As a number of you advised, it wasn't easy.Ā It really was designed as a thumb release button.

Turns out that whether it was hand strength, dexterity, whatever, I could not release the bar with my left hand. Left forefinger and middle finger together did not leave enough in the rest of my left hand to push/slide the bar collar and release it.Ā 

What I came up with was to use both hands. From the right seat, it was pretty easy to reach over with my right hand and release the bar "normally."Ā Once released, my left took over to easily complete the retraction. Extending the gear, as I expected, was a non-event.

Thanks for the tips. They really helped.

• Like 3