Johnson Bar Right Seat

It has been awhile since I  have flown  a Mooney  with  Johnson bar from the right seat, people that I have  flown with lately aren't current or are non pilots. There really isn't much difference, it is pretty much natural, might a little different if you  are a lefty but I can't imagine too much trouble. I liken it to when I was learning to fly a Champ left hand throttle a right hand on the stick. You really don't think about it or if you do you are probably over thinking it. Pretty much all subconscious in thought and movements. If still concerned do it with no wind or light wind and long and wide runway mitigate your risk.

• Thanks 1

Thanks. I'm not that concerned about coordination from the right seat.  I'm only curious about the unlocking to release the bar. Doing it with from the left seat with my right thumb while doing the small twist-n-push with my hand is pretty straight forward. I'm just imagining (overthinking  :D) how it will work trying to use my left hand index finger and hand.

1 hour ago, midlifeflyer said:

I'm just imagining (overthinking  :D) how it will work trying to use my left hand index finger and hand.

I haven't flown right seat in a few years, I use to fly a buddies J-Bar "C" from the right all the time. Pushing the release was the hardest part only because it just was set up that way

3 hours ago, midlifeflyer said:

For those who have flown a Johnson Bar Mooney from the right seat, what is your technique for retracting the gear? 

I wish I could help,  but all I can think of , if it's going to be your first time, and the person that is going to be in the left seat might not be capable, Is take off solo in the left seat.  Switch to right seat mid flight and try it a few times to get your feel for it.

29 minutes ago, ExpressJetter said:

Is take off solo in the left seat.  Switch to right seat mid flight and try it a few times to get your feel for it.

Putting a J-Bar pilot in the left seat is a safer bet or put it up on jacks 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, midlifeflyer said:

For those who have flown a Johnson Bar Mooney from the right seat, what is your technique for retracting the gear? 

not hard to do, but you are using your finger to depress the button and the motion initially is unfamiliar. after a few times it becomes easy. I must admit i do get the Mooney dip from the right where I no longer have it from the left.

23 minutes ago, tangogawd said:

This is clearly a right handed person problem:P us left handed folk are used to adapting to a right-handed world!:D

:D True. But in this case I'm more concerned with (or imagining)  the strength differential between my thumb and my forefinger to push the release button than anything having to do with which side I'm on. If the release button moved to the right side, I'd have no problem  retracting with my left hand.

Expect that there is another thread around here describing different methods...

Strong fingers, inverted hand, two step procedure...

Strength of left arm...

Knowing the slow air speed for putting gear away is probably the best piece of information...

The biggest challenge seemed to be pushing the button... followed by reorganizing to push the bar...

PP thoughts only.... I didn’t review any further...

Best regards,

-a-

7 minutes ago, carusoam said:

There's one here about someone doing their CFI checkride, if memory serves a think it was a female with double jointed finger or thumb that would go over center so to speak when pressure was applied  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, carusoam said:

Strong fingers, inverted hand, two step procedure...

Strength of left arm...

Knowing the slow air speed for putting gear away is probably the best piece of information...

The biggest challenge seemed to be pushing the button... followed by reorganizing to push the bar...

PP thoughts only.... I didn’t review any further...

Best regards,

-a-

For me, it's really all about pushing the button and getting it released. After that, there really isn't that much of a problem.  Handle goes down pretty easily at the proper airspeed. I never quite understood the posts about having enough strength to put the bar on the floor and latch it.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, tangogawd said:

I push forward on the gear handle to unload any tension on the system, use the side meaty section of my index second joint, or the proximal interphalangeal joint, to push the button the slide the handle down. hope this helps

Definitely sounds like it will help! I will report back.