Prop and Hub Color Decision

Seth

I’m leaning very heavy toward the MT 4 blade prop for all reasons noted in my last thread.

The paint peeling has partially been addressed by using harder paint formulas the last two years:  they have six colors and suggest not going custom:

White, Black, Grey, Yellow, Red, and maybe silver/metallic.

The stock Missile blade is grey with white stripes at the tips and the spinner is polished aluminum.

It was suggested by MT not to go with a chromed spinner due to former experience.  The polished aluminum spinners are only available on turboprops.  So, they suggest painting the spinner to match the cowl.  The paint on the spinner doesn’t have the issues of the prop.

My paint color is White, lighter burgundy, dark burgundy, and cherry blank with a gold stripe

MT suggestion at Oshkosh:  black blade, white tips, white spinner.

What do you all suggest?

The spinner can always be painted so I could have some fun here.  White and black in quarters - like WWII fighters?  Swirl like WWII fighters and jet engines?

Here are some pics of my plane.  Grey or Silver prop like Erik’s? Suggestions please!

470700E3-27B1-414F-992F-2CD5D4B70DA9.jpeg

1D8C6636-B8FE-4F59-82C8-467524ED5857.jpeg

29CEEAC2-425E-4DD0-82AE-6981F15D77F9.jpeg

Anything to help keep somebody from accidentally walking into it available?

Take a look at the O’s spinner matched to the shape of the cowl...

See if Hartzel has come up with a solution to match that...

A few years ago the O spinner was 1/4” short... giving it the not quite done look.

Call me disappointed... for that. :)

Best regards,

-a-

Seth, see if you can get an unpainted spinner and have it polished. Some people have reported good results doing this, althiughnit is tedious to do yourself. Barring thet, there were some interesting spinner designs during WWI that you coukd have fun with . . . .

Edited by Hank
  • Like 1

Not very inventive but I’d go with MT’s suggestion with your gorgeous paint scheme the white spinner and black blades would look badass, Erik’s Rocket looks badass next year we could line them up at the Summit to show off Mooney Mite and Muscle, like lining up American Muscle cars. I’m in Windsor Ca they have three muscle cars lined up in the lobby Dodge, Chevy and Ford muscle cars together 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Seth said:

I was told the black, grey, and metallic/silver were the three most durable paint colors.  The ovation with the four blade in white has some flaking.

-Seth

I was told the same thing which was part of why I chose the colors I did.  And sure enough - knock on wood - so far the paint is perfect four years on.

• Like 1

I’m leaning toward black.  Anyone think I should do silver/metallic or grey instead?

The black will flow with the black cherry paint scheme.

I’ll probably just go with the white cowl color for the spinner, but again, it considering some sort of swirl on the spinner - why not.  Dose anyone know of any Mooney’s with a swirl on the spinner?  If so, so I do a black swirl on the white spinner?  Maybe a burgundy swirl?  I do understand when spinning it won’t look perfectly white.

I can always paint/repaint the spinner.  But the blades I’m thinking as noted Black with white tips.

-Seth

9 hours ago, Seth said:

6A9F2345-85DD-4A26-AFFF-D0ABB8117773.jpeg

Wow, every time I see this plane I keep going back to the rocket section of Controller to find my own. 

So is the N number on the cowling plugs some other mathematical formula or constant?

I’d go with the black blades for sure. For the spinner a single color would be my preference black or light burgundy. 

• Thanks 1

FWIW, I have white blades, black tips, and "polished" spinner. MT spinners are fiberglass, and the shiny option is the fake chrome that goes over modern auto parts...I really like it. Mine has held up just fine, except for minor scratching from cowl R&R attributable to my occasional sloppiness. I would choose it again over painted options as it is the cherry on top of the sundae!

In your case, shiny spinner with black blades would do nicely...maybe white tips?

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

My daughter asked if we could get a pink and purple propeller.  I let her know I'd ask if the special harder formula paint came in those colors.

I think we're moving forward with black blades with white tips and the white (color matched to cowl white color) spinner.  

The white tips of the prop will NOT be color matched as that will be the harder paint formulated for the prop.  I have gone against putting a red line at the tip of the prop as well, or one strip of the the tip of the prop because that red is too far off from the burgundy in my paint.

-Seth

Edited by Seth
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Seth said:

My daughter asked if we could get a pink and purple propeller.  I let her know I'd ask if the special harder formula paint came in those colors.

I think we're moving forward with black blades with white tips and the white spinner.  The spinner color will match my cowl color.

-Seth

You can still paint the wings purple

... and you can get her a pink flight suit and you can get yourself a pink flight suit to match!

On 8/29/2019 at 6:37 PM, MIm20c said:

Wow, every time I see this plane I keep going back to the rocket section of Controller to find my own. 

So is the N number on the cowling plugs some other mathematical formula or constant?

I’d go with the black blades for sure. For the spinner a single color would be my preference black or light burgundy. 

Thanks!!!

Before I repainted n314eb and got that personalized tail number she was n10933 since birth and during the 1st 10 years of my ownership.  So I decided to keep my old plugs as sort of s memory of her old self.  I got those plugs when I first got her.

Edited by aviatoreb