Changing a nose wheel tire on a Mooney M20S (long body)

My Mooney M20S Eagle (long body) needs to have the nosewheel tire replaced.  I’m looking for advice on the best way to jack her up on the field to get this done.  I’m getting a lot of conflicting information.  Just wondering if there is an official right way to get this done.  Thanks for the help

I have done this a number of different ways. It's really no big deal.

One option is to put a pipe through the knuckle (where the tow bar attaches) and put a floor jack under the pipe and raise it up. Just don't put the jack on the same side the wheel comes off.

I've also done this just with two guys pushing down on the horizontal stabilizer. That will typically be enough to raise the nose and hold it. Once the wheel comes off, put a jack stand under the axel.

Airplanes are usually balanced pretty well and getting the nose wheel off the ground doesn't take much effort. 

• Like 1

Welcome aboard Gary!

Let’s be plane specific for a moment... (just for a moment...)

There are Long Body specific jack points... really,  there is a nose jack point.

It may even be marked on the front cowl, Pilot side...

Use caution... The label is a little mis-leading...

under the sheet metal is the jack point...

The jack point is a spot designed to take the jack point on the lower part of the engine mount...

I’m not sure how challenging it is to remove the lower cowl to access the engine mount...

But, something to consider before weighing down the tail, with an IO550 and a heavy TopProp way out front...

If this is helpful... post a good pic... :)

If this is way too challenging for just the front tire... follow the steps that Paul posted above...  there are pics of the pipe, jack stand, and jack method around here somewhere....

Good luck...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Welcome aboard Gary!

There are Long Body specific jack points... really,  there is a nose jack point.

The jack point is a spot designed to take the jack point on the lower part of the engine mount...

I’m not sure how challenging it is to remove the lower cowl to access the engine mount...

But, something to consider before weighing down the tail, with an IO550 and a heavy TopProp way out front...

If this is way too challenging for just the front tire... follow the steps that Paul posted above...  there are pics of the pipe, jack stand, and jack method around here somewhere....

Good luck...

Best regards,

-a-

Thank you for the feedback.  Just FYI, I am hiring professional help, but I just want to make sure I understand the right way to do this job.  

And I have heard about the Jack point under the plane, by I have not seen it.  If the lower cowl has to be removed to find it, that’s why I haven’t found it.  Ideally I would have the plane taken to the FBO, but they want $800 to tow it about 250 yards.  Seems ridiculous 

• Like 2

To make jacking the nose up less stressful...

As Paul has mentioned... putting people on the horizontal stabilizer can be pretty helpful....

Other people have gone to Home Depot to purchase bags of sand or other bags that can be useful later....

Weighted bags are pretty gentle. They can distribute the weight pretty well and won’t want to leave to take a break.

Putting a blanket over the paint would be extra plane friendly...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Gary Gonsalves said:

Do I have to do something specific to share what Clarence posted?  I’m brand new to this forum.  Just joined about an hour ago

Gary,

Welcome to Mooney ownership and Mooneyspace.

If you look inside the left tailpipe fairing you should see the socket I mentioned.  Most Mooneys left the factory with a set of  jack points, in your case 3 of them.  One for each wing and one for the nose.  Jack points are available from Mooney and Aircraft Spruce I believe if you don’t have any.

Removing the left fairing (held on with 1/4 turn Camloc fasteners) exposes the socket and makes room for the jack.

Clarence

B9A9311B-4225-4C29-9C30-FAFB94F4E82A.jpeg

128ECB2E-E0F2-4BD6-8B55-776FD6628D74.jpeg

12 minutes ago, carusoam said:

To make jacking the nose up less stressful...

As Paul has mentioned... putting people on the horizontal stabilizer can be pretty helpful....

Other people have gone to Home Depot to purchase bags of sand or other bags that can be useful later....

Weighted bags are pretty gentle. They can distribute the weight pretty well and won’t want to leave to take a break.

Putting a blanket over the paint would be extra plane friendly...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

So... check the last detail that Clarence posted...

The nose jack point is easier to access than I even reported... it’s behind an easy to remove panel...

The do not push labels are important for the tug operators...

To be specific... it means do not push the airplane forwards using anything back here....  that would result in bent control surfaces....

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Gary Gonsalves said:

Both sides of of horizontal stabilizer say “don’t push here”.  Since I don’t know anything about plane maintenance, those “don’t push here” markings concern me

With jacking the plane being fairly easy, I would not push the tail down to raise the nose.  Heed the placards.

Clarence

If you remove the front wheels of a basic floor jack, you’ll now have enough clearance between the front axle and the copilot side of the nose tire to  be able to have an adequate jack point.  Most floor jacks have a notched lifting surface that helps provide a saddle for the axle.  Chock the mains front and back to help reduce any torsional movement.  This is the method I’ve used.

• Like 1

My jack points are treaded 7/16 and a common mushroom head Allen screw makes a good engagement with my jacks.They commonly have a hole in the center of the piston.A 1/2 in pipe threaded thru the axle knuckle makes use of a common auto jack possible.I would chock the mains,apply parking brakes after jacking and dismount the wheel.1/2 thru 7/16 sockets to split the rims.Common pipe wrench ,diagonal cutters,cotter,new tube,baby talc ,2 x4 block and heavy footed friend to dislodge tire rims if replacing tire.Good luck

• 2 years later...
On 8/27/2019 at 6:32 PM, carusoam said:

Welcome aboard Gary!

Good luck...

Best regards,

-a-

ALL VERY helpful. Does anyone have a picture of a jack used under an IO-550 to understand length needed? Thanks!!

3 hours ago, Healthpilot said:

ALL VERY helpful. Does anyone have a picture of a jack used under an IO-550 to understand length needed? Thanks!!

A typical jack point fits in the open tube end…

unfortunately, I don’t recall more detail than that…

it probably is an ordinary jack with adjustable height…. Not much different than wing jack points.

We can probably ask @M20Doc (jack height for nose jack point of the long body, different or same jack used for the wing?)

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic…

Best regards,

-a-

• Thanks 1