M20C short of runway at Reno Stead

zaitcev

14 hours ago, RogueOne said:

And why would you?  Hope you overcome that fear of running out of fuel in the pattern...

I suppose I might have misspoke ever so slightly.  I'm actually not actively afraid of running out of fuel in the pattern.  Actually, I don't think I'm actively afraid of much of anything.  Anyhow, I'm not going to run out of fuel in the pattern due to my full management policies, which are enormously conservative.  I've just detected a failure mode that is unique to my aircraft.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MIm20c said:

A worked over 625 is a joy to shoot and reloads are FAST. Puts a smile on my face to pick up a few spent moon clips after clearing a stage.

https://www.amazon.com/Moon-Clip-Unloading-Tool-357/dp/B01MYU3U4V/

The important part here is that the difference: a de-moon tool has only 1 tooth, but a Mooney tank switcher has 2 teeth. Other than that they work on the same principle: it's a pipe that increases your leverage for turning something.

Edited by zaitcev
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, RogueOne said:

Learning a lot already today.  Going to be a good day.

We're getting a little away from Mooneys, but the moonclip is one of those accidental things, like penicillinum or collapsible stocks on ARs. Since the .45 ACP came to dominate the competition thanks to the moon clip, shooters of conventional revolvers started to machine their cylinders and clip .357 into packets. In a similar vein, Russians scoffed at the collapsible stock as a workaround for the AR's buffer tube. Just 10 years later, The Kalashnikov Concern offers AR buffer tubes on AK from from the factory.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RogueOne said:

All good.  “Not a wheel gun guy”.  Knew what a moon clip was, but did not know that .45acp was the original moon clip used to dominate competitive matches.

You're missing out. I started out shooting NRA Hunter's Pistol competition using my grandfather's WWII S&W Military/Police Special before graduating to a Ruger .41 Magnum Super Blackhawk. I miss the swing-out cylinder for fast loading. The 9mm auto that I bought as Brady Bill insurance was sold years ago, only ever used it twice . . . . There's nothing comparable to a stovepipe with a revolver.  :)

And they are all compatible with Mooney travel, as long as you don't land [even accidently] in NJ . . . . .

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RogueOne said:

Just prefer .45 autos and occasional 9mm semi-auto.

Personal preferences are what got us all into Mooneys . . .

While 9mm's are as common as dirt, with parts and ammo available seemingly on the street corner, I don't consider them a "real" weapon--too easy to bounce off a car window. My .41 magnum will not only penetrate the window, it will penetrate the engine block from the front or the back. When I bought it [with 6½" barrel and adjustable sights], it was legal for hunting deer. But alas, the laws have changed and I don't think any handguns are legal for that any more. That's why I bought a crossbow, but used it so infrequently that I sold it.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Skates97 said:

This thread has gone tangential on a level that is impressive even for MS. I had to scroll back up and look at the title to remember what thread I was reading...:lol:

While we're on the subject....can we go over that whole ROP vs LOP thing

• Haha 1

On 8/27/2019 at 7:55 AM, gsxrpilot said:

I'm happy to share all the G2 on the whole experience.  

Would you do it again in your Mooney?  A rental club I was a part of had two guys that took the AA-5 out there and it came back destroyed with dust everywhere.  Took months for the owner to clean the engine, replace all the hoses, clean the interior...  it was kind of a dick move by those guys to take it. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SantosDumont said:

Would you do it again in your Mooney?  A rental club I was a part of had two guys that took the AA-5 out there and it came back destroyed with dust everywhere.  Took months for the owner to clean the engine, replace all the hoses, clean the interior...  it was kind of a dick move by those guys to take it. 

Yes, I'm planning to go next year. And since there's a landing strip there, I'm damn sure not driving in ;)

But seriously, the plane does get dirty. And I'm sure for a lot of owners that would be a deal breaker. But as an owner, I'm sure I look after it a bit better than a couple of renters would. 

I've been there twice. The first time I came back and paid to have the plane detailed inside and out. I also had my shop, SWTA, clean the engine, change every filter in the entire plane, open up every inspection panel and clean everywhere. I spent close to an AMU post Burning Man to get the plane cleaned. That experience was overkill. We didn't find dust in most places we looked. And a lot of the filters, like instrument filters, were still clean. So the second time, I still had the plane detailed inside and out, but mostly just because it was dirty and needed it. I skipped changing all the filters, hoses, etc. We did spray down the engine and clean it good. 

A couple of things to note. The dust is not abrasive at all. It's like a talcum powder. You won't find any evidence of trips to Burning Man on any of my windows even though they were covered in dust even under the canopy cover. It's just not abrasive. Secondly, it's an alkaline powder and therefore is not corrosive to aluminum. It can be hard on exposed steel, but not aluminum. 

As you can see from the pictures, I covered the large openings just to keep the dust and dirt from filling those areas up. 

Maybe a few years from now with a new interior and paint job, I won't fly it to BurningMan. But for now, I'll fly the Mooney out there. I really don't believe it does any lasting damage to the plane.

• Like 2

On 8/27/2019 at 12:20 PM, gsxrpilot said:

I’ve always gotten fuel at LOL and the FBO building is air conditioned with clean bathrooms and cold drinking water. It was always a very popular place to go with “Burners” who wanted an airplane ride. And it’s closer than Reno Stead.

LOL has been a stop for me to/from OSH for a few years now. When I stopped last year it was a gazillion degrees. Vicky Benzing [air show pilot] was there getting fuel. Pretty cool to see her.  Anyway, great stop to get in, get fuel, go to the bathroom, get an ice water and go.

• Like 1