M20C short of runway at Reno Stead

zaitcev

3 hours ago, RogueOne said:

What about special disorientation?  Would that be a bigger fear?

What kind of disorientation is required to be "special"? I avoid all of them, with the worst type in an airplane being spatial.

1 hour ago, steingar said:

Your being just a trifle arrogant, assuming everyone has the same aircraft and the same body type as you.  For me, I have to unlatch my shoulder belt and reach head down to the floor.  I'm sufficiently short that I can't see the thing unless I bend over enough to give myself a very good time.  The one place I don't want to go head down is the traffic pattern.  Too much going on, too little energy, too close to the ground.  Instead I switch tanks at the top of the descent.  Lots of altitude, and I'm less worried about bopping into someone in the landing pattern.  Moreover, I'm not going to burn that much gas during the descent since I'm usually at a low throttle setting.

Couple of questions/comments:

• When changing tanks, I look at the floor, bend down and find the switch by feel. I can't watch my hand all the way there.
  • Why do you descend at reduced power? Keeping cruise MP / EGT all the way down makes up for the slow climb. I reduce power 2-3nm from the pattern to slow to flap speed then 90mph downwind. 
  • I also don't switch tanks in the pattern because I'm busy, eyes outside and it's an awkward position. 

Just now, RogueOne said:

Just checked it again and indeed spell check DOES change the word from spacial to special.  You’ll have that...

Thanks for the call out.  I feel spacial.

It got you again. It's "spatial" with a "t". 

Glad you feel so "spacial." I won't inquire . . .  :D   :blink:

11 hours ago, RogueOne said:

Just checked it again and indeed spell check DOES change the word from spacial to special.  You’ll have that...

Thanks for the call out.  I feel spacial.  OR spatial...

How did you know what I meant.  Big brain Hank.  You go!

You’re not just spacial, you’re extra spacial!

Clarence

14 hours ago, Hank said:

What kind of disorientation is required to be "special"? I avoid all of them, with the worst type in an airplane being spatial.

Couple of questions/comments:

• When changing tanks, I look at the floor, bend down and find the switch by feel. I can't watch my hand all the way there.

I'm so short that the fuel switch is almost under my seat.  Can't change tanks and fly at the same time, not me.  

14 hours ago, Hank said:
  • Why do you descend at reduced power? Keeping cruise MP / EGT all the way down makes up for the slow climb. I reduce power 2-3nm from the pattern to slow to flap speed then 90mph downwind. 

I tend to descend at lower power settings because we get turbulence at low altitude, and I don't want to be in the yellow in turbulence.

14 hours ago, Hank said:
  • I also don't switch tanks in the pattern because I'm busy, eyes outside and it's an awkward position. 

Yeah, bad juju.  One of the very few things I don't like about my Mooney (that and the ten thousand screws holding the cowlings on).  Most days, by the time I've hit pattern altitude I have a sufficiently low power setting that all I have to do is pitch up to get gear speed and arrest the sink.  At least it works out like that once in a while.

35 minutes ago, steingar said:

I'm so short that the fuel switch is almost under my seat.  Can't change tanks and fly at the same time.

So short? At 6'1" it ain't much easier.... i have to loosen or remove my shoulder harness which isn't a real big deal but I generally hit my iPad mounted on the yoke which results in a change in pitch that passengers tend to question. 

17 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

Wingtip Wednesday from a couple of years ago. 

IMG_1106.jpg.224246605b65c1096307bd306230b0eb.jpg

All buttoned up, bring on the dust.

IMG_1028.thumb.jpg.e5ee23f476563251a633065523148d5b.jpg

Any concern about drones when your doing scenic flights?  I have flown over the last 4 out of 5 years going places and always wanted to do a low pass. The fear of drone activity has always kept me from doing it.

1 minute ago, kmyfm20s said:

Any concern about drones when your doing scenic flights?  I have flown over the last 4 out of 5 years going places and always wanted to do a low pass. The fear of drone activity has always kept me from doing it.

No concern about drones at all. But you should be aware of the NOTAM and rules for the airspace. It's become VERY organized over the last few years. Drones are all registered and only flown by commercial outfits. They also limit the number of professional drones being flown. Personal drones are strictly prohibited. There are specific altitudes, directions, and procedures for scenic flights over the city. And all pilots have to sit through an orientation session before being allowed to fly during the event. 88NV is a private airport each year and landing is by advanced reservation and permission only.

Doing a low pass over the city during BurningMan would be about the same as doing a low pass over Oshkosh during AirVenture. You probably wouldn't get away with it. There are just a lot of airplanes out there now and it's become heavily controlled. 

But organization also brings safety. Which is a good thing.

• Like 1

I should add that no flying directly over the city is allowed. All flights are required to stay outside the border fence (bright orange). There is one exception and that is the approved skydive operator. A low pass over the city would go right through the drop zone.

3 hours ago, RLCarter said:

So short? At 6'1" it ain't much easier.... i have to loosen or remove my shoulder harness which isn't a real big deal but I generally hit my iPad mounted on the yoke which results in a change in pitch that passengers tend to question. 

Yeah, it is a pain.  Thankfully I can switch on the autopilot to keep the wings level while I do it.  But at altitude!  No way do I want to go through those gyrations close to the ground.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

No concern about drones at all. But you should be aware of the NOTAM and rules for the airspace. It's become VERY organized over the last few years. Drones are all registered and only flown by commercial outfits. They also limit the number of professional drones being flown. Personal drones are strictly prohibited. There are specific altitudes, directions, and procedures for scenic flights over the city. And all pilots have to sit through an orientation session before being allowed to fly during the event. 88NV is a private airport each year and landing is by advanced reservation and permission only.

Doing a low pass over the city during BurningMan would be about the same as doing a low pass over Oshkosh during AirVenture. You probably wouldn't get away with it. There are just a lot of airplanes out there now and it's become heavily controlled. 

But organization also brings safety. Which is a good thing.

Oh yah, that NOTAM thing:)  I knew there was probably another good reason why I didn’t do it. 

This was is as close as I have ever got. Most people had already left.6DB129F4-1249-4B11-A104-6589C3DA805F.thumb.jpeg.91b78b3ad84a73fb3d7b0bed103ccae1.jpeg

• Like 1

On 8/27/2019 at 3:20 PM, gsxrpilot said:

I’ve always gotten fuel at LOL and the FBO building is air conditioned with clean bathrooms and cold drinking water. It was always a very popular place to go with “Burners” who wanted an airplane ride. And it’s closer than Reno Stead.

I wonder ho long the bathrooms stay clean...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Shadrach said:

I wonder ho long the bathrooms stay clean...

When I went out there in 2017, I flew out to LOL almost every day. I was doing a lot of flying and needed the fuel. I never saw anyone else or any other airplanes at LOL. The FBO was always open, but deserted and the lights off. But the air-conditioning was on, the place was clean, and the bathrooms were very nice. The FBO was like a time warp. The black and white pictures on the walls, the furniture and fixtures made it look like you'd stepped back into the 50's. Very spooky but nice.

• Like 1