First owner-assist annual: recommendations

BaldEagle

Annual due in a few weeks.  IA doesn't have the tools to do gear retract test so it's time to go shopping.  Can anyone recommend Jacks and Tail weight?  I did some cursory research and I know that I should be using an engine hoist rather than hanging stuff from the tail tie down, but engine hoists are not cheap.  Looks like Aircraft Spruce has a generic tail weight, but I'm not sure about Jacks.  Anyone using these jacks on a J?

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/topages/jackj106.php

Anything else I need? (Cap?)

I was looking at getting this tail weight:

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/pnpages/12-01728.php

Do some reading on safety features of jack stands... and get some other safety hints available...

https://mooneyspace.com/search/?q=Jack stands&updated_after=any&sortby=relevancy&search_and_or=and

when it comes to floor weights... make sure what you connect it to is ready to hold....

https://mooneyspace.com/search/?q=Floor weight&updated_after=any&sortby=relevancy&search_and_or=and

it will take some additional searching skills to find more detail....

There is plenty in there to avoid the simple accidents available to the first timer...

Best regards,

-a-

You need to understand the gear preloads and how they are set up and tested exactly in the MM.  The Mooney gear tool is needed.  Every once in a blue moon they are available used on eBay.  There used to be an outfit that rented but I believe they are closed now.  If you can’t get hold of the proper tools to do the preloads don’t even bother with owner assist annual in your hangar. 

Anyone know why Mooney does not recommend using a tail weight? They don’t say you can’t do it; it’s just not recommended.  BTW, I ran across a Service Instruction that says you’re not supposed to fly with the tie down rings installed. Strange recommendations.

Skip

28 minutes ago, PT20J said:

Anyone know why Mooney does not recommend using a tail weight? They don’t say you can’t do it; it’s just not recommended.  BTW, I ran across a Service Instruction that says you’re not supposed to fly with the tie down rings installed. Strange recommendations.

Skip

corrosion maybe?  Or they wanted to make sure we got the extra 0.1 knots?

I do take off my tie-down rings when flying since it's usually hangared, I just keep them in the baggage area in a bag

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PT20J said:

Skip

Only a guess that one may have failed at some point causing an accident.  I could see one that had been ground thinner by contact with the runway failing with the weight f the plane on it.

Clarence

Harbor Freight has a 1 ton engine hoist for $189, which is less than the generic tail weight from Spruce.  No aviation tax from Harbor Freight...  I think I’ll go this route.  Cheapest jacks seem to start at $309 each from Alpha Aviation.  Not tempted to fabricate my own as I’ll likely just end up killing myself (and / or the plane).

• Like 1

Alpha Aviation makes a very similar jack without the wheels that fits under the wing - model 324.  Make sure you have jack points or pick up a set of combination jack point / tie downs from Lasar.

A harbor frieght cherry picker is cheaper than that tail weight.  Recommend the 2 ton version with the longer reach.

11 minutes ago, Yetti said:

It takes about 160 lbs on the tail to hold it down.   320 lbs is better.   The grumpy IA has a bunch of old batteries he puts on a welded stand with a turn buckle.

Mine uses a strap through a stack of concrete blocks that sit on the floor.   Part of my job as the "assisting owner" is to move the blocks from his truck and stack them under the tail, then take them back when we're done.   Works great.

Several un-named hangar residents drive or place an anchor in the concrete floor under the tail tie-down and just tie it down there.   This seems to be a successful method as well.

If the tie-down can hold the tail in one place outside during gusty wind storms I think it can statically hold the tail down when the airplane gets jacked up.

Edited by EricJ