HwkIFan

Mooniacs in SA TX?

Recommended Posts

Folks,

Just transferred to the SA TX area...my bird is out at Castroville.  Looking to find a CFII in the area as I moved from LV NV (you know, clear and $1,000,000 territory).  Time to look at becoming more proficient (not simply current) with my IFR.

Cheers,

Matt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

*Members that donate $10 or more do not see advertisements*

Matt,

You are going to be in Mooney CFII central there!

What do you think is right for meeting your goals?   Hours per week?

Best regards,

-a-

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've maintained currency in the LV area but I'm not kidding myself...going to minimums would not be a planned event at this point.  simply don't have the experience...read as zero actual time.  For the short term, I'm looking to be able to punch through a layer in order to head to other locales...I'll stick with my short term goal for now.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I spent four days training with Bob Cabe when I got my O, about eight years ago... we covered everything from typical Transition to long IFR X-countries in IMC... including heavy rain one day, and some icing the next...

There will be other recommendations along here in a few minutes, that will be equally good... but I haven’t trained with those guys myself...

Let me know if you need contact info...

Best regards,

-a-

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, HwkIFan said:

I've maintained currency in the LV area but I'm not kidding myself...going to minimums would not be a planned event at this point.  simply don't have the experience...read as zero actual time.  For the short term, I'm looking to be able to punch through a layer in order to head to other locales...I'll stick with my short term goal for now.

Your short term goal is my long term goal.  I have lots of time in larger aircraft and know I can do it but I don want to be in the position to NEED to do it single engine.  I like to have an out.  Flying my Mooney is for fun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, HwkIFan said:

Folks,

Just transferred to the SA TX area...my bird is out at Castroville.  Looking to find a CFII in the area as I moved from LV NV (you know, clear and $1,000,000 territory).  Time to look at becoming more proficient (not simply current) with my IFR.

Cheers,

Matt

I used to be based at Castroville. I'm about an hour North now. The Mooney instructor in San Antonio that you want is Bob Cabe (210)289-5375   bob_cabe@hotmail.com

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks folks...was away from my computer for a bit...just got caught up.  Appreciate the feedback.  Will look to get in touch with Bob.

Cheers,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A new question for the SA TX area Mooney folks...Any recommendations on an A&P?  My bird experienced a little electrical issue...believe it to be a chaffed wire that then provided the wonderful smell of burnt insulation and even more exciting view of smoke.  Appears to be limited to the #2 Comm/Nav (CB pulled).  Fortunately, this occurred prior to taxi.  Unfortunately, a nice day of flying went out the door...I'm not complaining though.  135JC lives at Castroville.  I'd love to do as much of the work as able...under supervision.

Greatly appreciate any feedback.

Cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had the #2 comm (KX 155) do the same thing, but at about 6500'.  I can't remember exactly what gave way, but I sent it to Bevan Rabell in Wichita and they sent it back completely refurbished for a reasonable cost. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you want an Avionics shop, Crystal Avionics at New Braunfels is good. If you want a good Mooney shop, then you want SWTA at Smithville. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i've heard good things about SWTA in Smithville but I have not personally used them.

  David Behrend owner of Dugosh in Kerrville and Ron Fisher at Kestrel are excellent.  I am based at Bulverde Airpark. Lets get together sometime.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, mooneyflyfast said:

i've heard good things about SWTA in Smithville but I have not personally used them.

  David Behrend owner of Dugosh in Kerrville and Ron Fisher at Kestrel are excellent.  I am based at Bulverde Airpark. Lets get together sometime.

Thanks! Once my bird is back in action...definitely will be looking for Mooney gatherings.  Cheers,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm also in SA. Was at Kelly now moving to Stinson. Hangar space is hard to find around here! I'm also up for a local MS flying.

Fly Safe,
Safety Forum Mod

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is a huge Mooney community that flies very regularly, usually a couple of times a week, in the central Texas (Austin, San Marcos, San Antonio) area. 

Send me a PM if you'd like contact information. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just bought a Mooney M20F with a friend and are keeping it at Bulverde.  Brand new to aircraft ownership.  Would also be interested in linking up with the local Mooney community to swap stories and tips on flying and caring for it.  Just got checked out by Dave McGee and flew my first Mooney solo this Wednesday, even though I’ve been flying for 23 years!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome aboard, Albert.

David McGee is an excellent resource!

Best regards,

-a-

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, AlbertF said:

I just bought a Mooney M20F with a friend and are keeping it at Bulverde.  Brand new to aircraft ownership.  Would also be interested in linking up with the local Mooney community to swap stories and tips on flying and caring for it.  Just got checked out by Dave McGee and flew my first Mooney solo this Wednesday, even though I’ve been flying for 23 years!

You at Bulverde Airpark or Kestrel?  I'm at 1t8 with my J

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am absolutely thrilled with J.D. at SWTA in Smithville. Highly recommend him to anyone looking for a maintenance shop the you can fully trust to have your best interest in mind.

I'm parked at New Braunfels with my K waiting to get in to a hanger.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.