“What GA plane is most like WWII fighter?” Look what popped up!

BigD

36 minutes ago, RobertGary1 said:

I think the Swift wins this hands down but its nice to get an honorable mention. The Swift was a fun plane to fly, although under powered.

Image result for globe swift

-Robert

When I lived in Colorado in the 80s, there was a guy with a Swift with a TSIO 360. I rode in it a few times. It wasn’t underpowered!

• Like 2

Looking at the plan form of the Mooney wing plus the laminar design make it a great comparison. My first thought was to the Swift and I like the Navion as well. But if I had to make the best match for the Swift it would be to the P40

• Like 1

2 hours ago, N201MKTurbo said:

When I lived in Colorado in the 80s, there was a guy with a Swift with a TSIO 360. I rode in it a few times. It wasn’t underpowered!

A friend at DVT has one with the 210hp Continental IO-360 from a Cessna 337.   Awesome little airplane.   I don't think I've flown anything with lighter controls.   The guy that owns it said you can do a loop with two fingers.

The original mold for the leading edge of the Mooney is the same press used we think from the actual P-51 as the mold at the factory had two holes (for guns).  It was purchased from North American thus it's from the P-51B or P-51C wing.

DNA of the Mooney literally is from North American - now that would be a marketing piece.

-Seth

• Like 3

The M20 wings were initially wooden and designed to a NACA 63-215 airfoil, which has been maintained throughout production.   The P-51s wings are dimensionally different and have a much higher wing loading.   The only classification I could find on them was "NACA 6-series".  I suspect the leading edges are not the same.

The Navion was built by North American...  high probability of shared DNA.  At least their marketing people believed it...

As far as Swifts go... there was a well known Mooney guy that really liked them too... and added a turbine!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roy_LoPresti

presented by Roy and family...

Just adding to the conversation...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 2

13 hours ago, carusoam said:

The Navion was built by North American...  high probability of shared DNA.  At least their marketing people believed it...

As far as Swifts go... there was a well known Mooney guy that really liked them too... and added a turbine!

Best regards,

-a-

Ha, at nine minutes into the video the Swift was modeled after the Curtiss P40

• Like 1

19 hours ago, carusoam said:

Best regards,

-a-

What a waste of time and resources. Had they put that engine on the Mooney, they'd be selling more than 10 planes a year right now!

Had something been able to keep Mr. LoPresti at Mooney....   :)

Had computerized numerical analysis been available...

The video is interesting... it discusses CAD and all the PCs are sitting on old drawing boards... :)

When all that stuff came together... why did the three seat diesel M10T and J not fly?

what if it got a turbine, an IO360, or an IO550?

Is the Mooney evolution not finished yet?

Best regards,

-a-

My guess is that Mooney was already a well designed. Roy did help with the 201, but I imagine Piper needed more help and that’s where the late model pipers came to be. They had much more to improve upon. 

I Really love the Swift, just didn’t have an efficient wing on it. It’s the coolest fastest looking slowest airplane there is. The Marchetti 260TP is really neat too but even with all that HP, it’s not that fast. It would be really neat to see a Allison 250 on a J model. You’d need a lot of gas, and it would probably become only a 2pl airplane. There’s a guy in Austria that has a Allison 250 on a 360 sized Lancair. Looks amazing!!!

Never knew about the Swift Fire. Thanks for sharing. 

Sorry I was a little off Locher airfield in Italy. 

SS508, 16, 39058 Sarntal, Südtirol, Italy

Not exactly a Lancair either. :-).

-Matt