Sky-Tec VS B&C

Brice,

MS has a lot of Sky-tech starter experience...

One type gets better reviews than the other...

Which model Sky-tech do you have?

B&C has many reviews for their second alternator installs... if dumping the vac system, the B&C is on your list...

Best regards,

-a-

36 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Brice,

MS has a lot of Sky-tech starter experience...

One type gets better reviews than the other...

Which model Sky-tech do you have?

B&C has many reviews for their second alternator installs... if dumping the vac system, the B&C is on your list...

Best regards,

-a-

I currently have an old Delco Remy.  Last I can see in the logs it was replaced was in the 90's. 

So anything would be an upgrade, just wondering which is better, or if they're roughly equivalent

A decade of Skytec....

https://mooneyspace.com/search/?&q=Skytech ls&search_and_or=or&sortby=relevancy

A few of B&C... hidden in the search results....

https://mooneyspace.com/search/?q=B%26C starters&updated_after=any&sortby=relevancy&search_and_or=and

One thing that stood out regarding B&C... there was a space limitation for Mooneys with fuel injection.... not much of a challenge for M20Cs....

Best regards,

-a-

Both of them are high speed high torque starters and will spin really well.   Apparently the Skytech uses bushings and the B&C use bearings.   I went with B&C because it is a pain to change out.   The alternator has to come off.   While SkyTech is great about warranty work. I don't want to have to pull it.   Consider doing your carb OH at the same time.  Since it all has to come off to get the Fuel Servo off.   Also some sheet metal work is involved for the new starter.  It's just a wire and 4 bolts.....   On a tractor it would be a 30 minute swap out.   Expect a couple of days to get the the last bolt off and on.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, ragedracer1977 said:

I ended up ordering the skytec 149nl.  We'll see how bad the R&R sucks lol. 

And you want to make sure and count your ring gear.   There are different number of teeth.   It's not hard to R&R just time consuming.  I found a dremel tool was pretty good for making custom cut out of the front baffle.

While you are in there....  :)

Check to see how long the carb has been working...

Carb OHs don’t get mentioned much... but there are a few parts worth changing out if you get the chance...

Back in the day... My C’s accelerator pump had some efficiency challenge after so many hours...

Best regards,

-a-

5 hours ago, carusoam said:

While you are in there....  :)

Check to see how long the carb has been working...

Carb OHs don’t get mentioned much... but there are a few parts worth changing out if you get the chance...

Back in the day... My C’s accelerator pump had some efficiency challenge after so many hours...

Best regards,

-a-

Carb was overhauled about 3 years and 600 hours ago

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Yetti said:

And you want to make sure and count your ring gear.   There are different number of teeth.   It's not hard to R&R just time consuming.  I found a dremel tool was pretty good for making custom cut out of the front baffle.

I happened to have a picture of my ring gear making it very easy to decide.  

https://skytec.aero/aircraft-starter-installation-issues/

27019.jpeg

I’ve used both B&C and Sky-Tec fr my IO-720, Both cranked the engine with ease and no noticeable difference in performance.  The 149NL  should fit with no modifications to the baffle work.

Clarence

Well, the new starter is in.  I decided to replace the starter solenoid at the same time, cause why not.  

I swear to all that is holy, id rather replace the starter again.  Mooney put the solenoid in a terrible place, and it's Phillips screws through the firewall with regular nuts inside the cabin.  Probably wouldn't be too bad if it still had the avionics access panel, but it's a 2 man job. And even then... 

Spent an hour and got basically nowhere before the 120 degree heat inside the hangar beat me. Going back tomorrow with a friend after the sun goes down.

• Like 2

On 8/25/2019 at 12:51 PM, Yetti said:

What modifications did you feel were needed? I swapped my prestolite for a Skytec149NL About 5 years ago without any mods.

No matter how robust a starter is, it only takes one good kickback to take out the shear pin.