1976 M20F Panel Upgrade

jerrodmonaghan

40 minutes ago, jerrodmonaghan said:

So after some great advice I’ve decided to take the cheapest path presented and have set some goals. Once I have 50 hours logged using a yoke mounted system I’ll make the final decision as to move on to another plane or simply keep what I have and go all in. I’ll do a 100% new panel if I do anything at all at that time. Like many of you.... praying an AP system will be available.

I ordered a pair of King 170B radios to replace the pair I have. Fingers crossed the radios will correct the VOR and ILS heads that are also not working. I also ordered a Sky Beacon Wing Tip solution and already have a Stratus and Foreflight for the yoke. I have a brand new PMA450B in a box ready for install as well. Once I know if the radios fix some of my other bugs I’ll post my results. Thanks again to you all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting enough the people that put 40K into their panels then pretty much fly with the tablet.   If I was designing airplane stuff their would be a GPS receiver and Sensors that hook to a WIFI hub  that all just push to a couple of tablets.

1 hour ago, jerrodmonaghan said:

I ordered a pair of King 170B radios to replace the pair I have. Fingers crossed the radios will correct the VOR and ILS heads that are also not working. I also ordered a Sky Beacon Wing Tip solution and already have a Stratus and Foreflight for the yoke. I have a brand new PMA450B in a box ready for install as well. Once I know if the radios fix some of my other bugs I’ll post my results. Thanks again to you all!

Id leave the 450 in the box until you put in a new gps/com. 

50 minutes ago, Rinj said:

Who is this grim reaper you speak of?

I believe they are speaking of Alan Fox.  He salvages parts from Mooneys for re-sale.  Don't let him near your wood winged A-model.  He has been know to use a chainsaw!! :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 8 months later...
On 8/23/2019 at 7:09 PM, McMooney said:

hey, that's about where I started with my e,  well I had ADSB.

hmm, If I had to do all over again and hadn't had adsb.

garmin  375  -- adsb, lpv

garmin 255  -- awesome comm/ils/vor, 

, and 1 g5.     -- new cdi is 2000$  might as well get the g5 -- but it cost way more to install.

i'd guess in the ball park of 20k.

Similar to what I did except gi-275’s now (the G5 is the old generation). $35k. 

-Robert 

On 8/27/2019 at 5:23 AM, Yetti said:

Interesting enough the people that put 40K into their panels then pretty much fly with the tablet.   If I was designing airplane stuff their would be a GPS receiver and Sensors that hook to a WIFI hub  that all just push to a couple of tablets.

It’s Bluetooth but that’s basically how it works. All the sensors feed into my gnx 375 and then Bluetooth to display on my iPad. 

-Robert