Gaston's Fly-In

I’ve landed an E there a couple of times but usually have gone to BPK or FLP.  Gaston’s provided a complementary shuttle from each field.  3M0 is usually well maintained but avoid landing there soon after wet weather.  

There was a Mooney fly in there a couple decades ago, and half of the dozen or so Mooney’s did grass while the rest used BPK.

• 2 weeks later...

Slipped to Rocket Into Gaston’s this weekend. 

Getting in Consisted of a RNAV 22 at FLP to get below the Clouds. After that it was no Issue at all.

Getting Out was a little more of an eye opener though. I am use to a F Model going into an out of Gaston’s, which done great on the way out.

Advancing the power in the Turbo Plane much slower put me further down the pasture before it really woke up(32+MP).

Once the engine woke up an the wing got happy, it was no issue at all.

Will definitely do it agin.

Any added information on the October Fly-in?

627821C4-410E-4C12-8256-1E25935E6E84.jpeg

2BB14CFE-D640-4102-84AE-A3A857F8AB0F.jpeg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, steingar said:

I just landed my '62 Ranger on a 2500 foot turf strip this weekend.  Wasn't pretty, but the airplane is no worse for the wear.  I've heard naught but good things about Gastons.

You didn't see a low pass by a blue and white experimental turboprop go through on Friday evening did you?  Just wondering.

Tom

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Yooper Rocketman said:

You didn't see a low pass by a blue and white experimental turboprop go through on Friday evening did you?  Just wondering.

Tom

Don't recall seeing one, but I got in a bit late.  Everyone headed to dinner just as I was done setting up my camp site.  Was that you?  I doubt you could land that wonderful Lancair at that strip!

Edited by steingar
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Yooper Rocketman said:

Yes, i flew over about 7:30 PM.   I was flight testing my wing repair and verifying I was able to pressurize.  I had a flight to Pittsburgh on Monday.

Seems it looked like a Mooney was parked in the grass.

Tom

Actually, there were two.  We came in right after each other, both red and white too.  The couple in the other (an E of later vintage than mine) travel to grass strips all the time.  Their building a Zenith in their garage to facilitate this activity.

Yeah, I think I was at dinner by the time you flew over.  I actually stopped at SAW for gas, the pump at LNL was busted.  Sorry I didn't have time to chat, I was trying to get home.  That was a bit more adventure than I was counting on.

Glad to hear the Lancair is back to flying status.  You dah man. I'm so pathetic I hire out oil changes.