Stormscope Died Today - What's Next?

Well, I just got the plane out of annual and on the first trip, I watched the screen on the stormscope dim and then go black.  My wife who was with me at the time, just shrugged her shoulders and said "I guess its time to spend some money on the panel"...wow, I do love her attitude!

So now I have a dilemma.  Do I?:

1.  repair the Wx1000+

2. purchase a WX 500 and integrate it with either the GTN 750 or the Aspen 1000 Pro PFD

3. purchase a WX 500 AND an Aspen MFD an display the data on the MFD

I have no intention of going without one, BTW.  I find that there is quite a bit of comfort in having that real time data when flying in the south in the summer time.  Any advice?

Alex

These days a WX-500 is the only way to go. You'll be able to get it displayed on your GTN and Aspen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks. Do you know if the WX500 and WX1000 share the same antenna? Could the same wiring harness be used with remote mounting of the WX 500 unit where the WX 1000 is currently mounted?

I'm trying to understand if an avionics shop needs to be involved or if my local AI/A&P could handle the swap.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

28 minutes ago, alextstone said:

I'm trying to understand if an avionics shop needs to be involved or if my local AI/A&P could handle the swap.

I know shops are really busy right now. However, I firmly believe that finding a quality shop close to home is extremely important. I would use this as an excuse to patronize one that might save a long flying trip down the road with quick service. 

• Like 1

I’m with Byron, I have a 900 which I had overhauled shortly after buying the plane.

I agree that I don’t like to fly w/o a Stormscope.

Even though I have a GTN and an Aspen I have the panel space and I prefer the stand alone display to adding more info on the GPS screen. I clear the SS pretty frequently when there’s CB activity.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, alextstone said:

Thanks. Do you know if the WX500 and WX1000 share the same antenna? Could the same wiring harness be used with remote mounting of the WX 500 unit where the WX 1000 is currently mounted?

Unfortunately No, No and an Avionics Shop if you are going to do the WX-500.

I actually removed a WX-8 and installed a WX-1000 at my local shop under supervision.  I rented the DMC-8 crimper and bought the cables and pins from Don valentine. It’s a lot of wires but it’s totally doable. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, aviatoreb said:

What do you figure one could get a storm scope for - and then installed - for a plane (mine) that has no storm scope at all?  Which model is the one I want?

Erik, Bennett Avionics is a good site to get a feel for relative values. Their prices are high but you'll get a feel for the market. 

https://www.bennettavionics.com/stormscope-strike-finder/

2 hours ago, aviatoreb said:

What do you figure one could get a storm scope for - and then installed - for a plane (mine) that has no storm scope at all?  Which model is the one I want?

Erik,  I have a WX10A in working condition that I am going to remove.  My plan was to cut the harness and sell the individual components to guys like Alex for plug and play repairs.  However I could remove it with an intact harness if anyone is interested.

I'm a fan of the WX500's, especially in a Mooney where panel space is at a premium.  I am going to install a GTN750 to control the WX500 and use the second output of the WX500 to display on a SN3308.  (Old technology, but still a nice way to get #2 Nav, WX, ADF, RMI all in one).

I wouldn't install an older stormscope - the extra labour for installing the head in you panel will suck away any savings you might make one installing a WX500.

Don

7 hours ago, jetdriven said:

I actually removed a WX-8 and installed a WX-1000 at my local shop under supervision.  I rented the DMC-8 crimper and bought the cables and pins from Don valentine. It’s a lot of wires but it’s totally doable. 

eye roll...of course you did :)  (and just to make sure this isn't taken wrong...this is meant as a compliment!)

7 hours ago, aviatoreb said:

The WX 500 that displays on the garmin is probably the best thing going right now. However for a standalone unit A wx 900 or 950, ir a strike finder would also be good options. All three of those units do not have a processor box like the WX 1000 has. So significantly simpler and easier to install. They are still series II units so they’re  still pretty powerful. 
People unbelievably are pulling them out of airplanes with them working. But that means you can get one for about 600 to 1000 bucks in probably about that much more to put it in. WX 500 is current production and saves you one panel hole so those things are quite a bit more about 3500 bucks for the hardware still maybe a grand or soW X.500 is current production and saves u a  panel hole so those things are quite a bit more about 3500 bucks for the hardware still might be a grand or 1500$ labor 

Edited by jetdriven

37 minutes ago, jetdriven said:

The WX 500 that displays on the garmin is probably the best thing going right now. However for a standalone unit A wx 900 or 950, ir a strike finder would also be good options. All three of those units do not have a processor box like the WX 1000 has. So significantly simpler and easier to install. They are still series II units so they’re  still pretty powerful. 
People unbelievably are pulling them out of airplanes with them working. But that means you can get one for about 600 to 1000 bucks in probably about that much more to put it in. WX 500 is current production and saves you one panel hole so those things are quite a bit more about 3500 bucks for the hardware still maybe a grand or soW X.500 is current production and saves u a  panel hole so those things are quite a bit more about 3500 bucks for the hardware still might be a grand or 1500$ labor 

Then the wx900 or 950 seem quite sufficient for me.  What makes one better than the other?

I'm not getting one for this summer, but I am seriously going to maybe get one/something in place before next summer season.  Annual in April....

the WX900 is a CRT, has 200nm range, and has the 120 degree forward view available. Ive flown both, and both are adequate. I bought the WX-1000 because I couldnt find a pullout -950 for a year and got tired of waiting. But if youre paying someone to install it,  get the -950 as its 10 hours less work to install. No processor box.

Then the wx900 or 950 seem quite sufficient for me.  What makes one better than the other?

I'm not getting one for this summer, but I am seriously going to maybe get one/something in place before next summer season.  Annual in April....

The 900 does not rotate the display with aircraft heading changes. The 950 might, I’m not sure. In my experience that’s not very important since I clear the display frequently. 10 minutes ago is ancient history when maneuvering around CBs.

My 90 is 360 degrees. The range is selectable from 200 nm down to 25.

• Like 1

Just now, Bob_Belville said:

The 900 does not rotate the display with aircraft heading changes. The 950 might, I’m not sure. In my experience that’s not very important since I clear the display frequently. 10 minutes ago is ancient history when maneuvering around CBs.

the -950 does, and thats a nice feature.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bob_Belville said:

My 90 is 360 degrees. The range is selectable from 200 nm down to 25.

I get it - 

rotating with airplane orientation changes definitely sounds Very desirable and a must have if I am going to the trouble of installing something.  So...950 likely.

I get it - 
rotating with airplane orientation changes definitely sounds Very desirable and a must have if I am going to the trouble of installing something.  So...950 likely.
I probably have 1500 hours flying with a 900. I would not pay much extra for that feature.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

• 1 year later...