almost done with paint

Austintatious

The bottom of our plane is dark red and believe it or not the  exhaust is more like a pasty gray color. So actually I think it’s actually worse exhaust stains  on the red than the white

Edited by jetdriven
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, jetdriven said:

The bottom of our plane is dark red and believe it or not the  exhaust is more like a pasty gray color. So actually I think it’s actually worse exhaust stains  on the red than the white

FYI AVGAS will take that right off!    I used it under both Nacelles and wings on an Aztec and made it come off real easy.  I followed up with a wash and wax.

26 minutes ago, Ragsf15e said:

Real nice.  I like the dark blue on the belly.  I’m pretty anal and exhaust stains on white are really tough to remove as the paint ages.  Dark blue will probably still look great.

Yeap, that was my hopes when I picked the color... Plus, the plan is to put some yellow vinyl decals on the tail and it looks really good with the blue.

17 minutes ago, Austintatious said:

FYI AVGAS will take that right off!    I used it under both Nacelles and wings on an Aztec and made it come off real easy.  I followed up with a wash and wax.

I had a friend who  nearly died when he did that. Some static  from the creeper wheels ignited the avgas and lit him up, also the  airplane. So I would say please don’t do this. 70% isopropyl alcohol and a sprayer will also take it off. But it’s still very hard on paint. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, jetdriven said:

I had a friend who  nearly died when he did that. Some static  from the creeper wheels ignited the avgas and lit him up, also the  airplane. So I would say please don’t do this. 70% isopropyl alcohol and a sprayer will also take it off. But it’s still very hard on paint. 

Uhh, 70% isopropyl is plenty flammable, with the added bonus of not being able to see the flames.

Edited by Austintatious

A lot less flammable than avgas. Anyway, do as you wish. But some Walgreens iso70 in the spray bottle they sell is a lot safer than a rag dipped in 100ll.  Gojo is even safer, it’s kerosene in gel form. But it didnt remove the tan lead bromide deposits. Neither did 100LL. But alcohol did. 

50 minutes ago, jetdriven said:

Aero Cosmetics Wash n Wax, Red degreaser formula in a spray bottle. Quick, easy, non-flammable, non-caustic, breathable, leaves a nice slick surface behind that's easy to clean. Blue does the rest of the plane except windows (Plexxus) and polished spinner (California Gold purple polish). All use cheap, white terry cloth hand towels sold by the dozen.

And yes, exhaust residue is light gray when everything works and you lean correctly. It shows up well on most colors . . . . . 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My experience...... regularly and consistently keeping the area clean will prevent exhaust buildup. This will prevent having to use extra measures to remove the buildup later, and it will help keep your paint looking new for years to come.

Regardless, your paint scheme and color choices look terrific!  :)

• Like 2

Art, Most antennas are white from the factory and common practice is not to paint them. I’ve also seen G550s with every thing hanging off painted. Some manufactures have guidance on not painting antennas. I believe metallic paint on an antenna Will degrade its performance. 

-Matt

14 hours ago, jetdriven said:

Same here...dark metallic grey paint shows a nice grey smudge line after long flights.I think it is lead deposit soot

9 hours ago, thinwing said:

Same here...dark metallic grey paint shows a nice grey smudge line after long flights.I think it is lead deposit soot

I’m gonna use “lead mettalic” color on my belly.  It can’t show on that, can it?